R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

New R500 owner.....first post.....am I insane?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 + SLK55 AMG
New R500 owner.....first post.....am I insane?

OK please tell me I'm not insane for joining the R club.

I test drove a 2007 R500 last Saturday and bought it. The car is in mint condition, white with macadamia leather and burled walnut. 5.0L V8 with 302 HP and 340 lb/ft. 36,000 miles. It's a CPO 1 owner car from the dealer who originally sold the car. All the service has been done at that dealer since new. The exterior is flawless and they replaced the tires (Conti 4X4 Contact), battery, brakes (front and rear), fluids change (oil, transmission, diffs, coolant), wiper blades, spark plugs, engine air filter, cabin air filter, transmission filter. Mercedes CPO program offers a 1 year max 100,000 mile warranty so it's essentially a 12 month 64,000 mile warranty in this case. So the car should be worry and cost free for a while with zero maintenance.

The dealer had the complete service history on the car. Throughout its history they have replaced the front struts @ 33,000. Replaced the air suspension compressor @ 17,000. Done the transmission fix for hard shifting @ 34,000. Replaced the valve cover gaskets @ 25,000. Replaced the power steering pump @ 31,000. Replaced the tailgate lock mechanism @ 34,000.

It's loaded with nearly every option but the AMG package (appearance) and the DVD entertainment system (don't care). So.......
  • Leather seats
  • Wood trimmed steering wheel
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Navigation
  • Satellite Radio
  • Harman Kardon 5.1 surround sound w/subwoofer
  • 6 Disc CD Changer
  • Heated headlight washers
  • Bi-Xenon headlights
  • Curve tracking headlights and fog lights
  • Speed Sensitive Air Suspension (I know, I know)
  • ADS Adaptive Damping System
  • 7 speed automatic with paddle shifters and sport or comfort shift patterns
  • Remote controlled liftgate
  • Rear console
  • Rear audio and climate controls
  • Telematics (Bluetooth hands free phone)
  • Parktronic

The car drives really well for what it is. Supremely quiet and well planted. Not quick but capable. Steering not like a sports car and a bit light but good feedback. Excellent visibility.

The price? $28,500 (original MSRP was $63,450). Maybe a little high but I liked the total package.

So, does it look like most of the common component failure issues with this car have been taken care of already? What else can I expect?

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 12-19-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Thanks

BTW, this forum was invaluable in researching the car and ferreting out problem areas before plunking down my cash. So thanks to everyone for all the knowledge.

The R series certainly seems to have more than its share of quality problems for a Mercedes luxury vehicle in addition to an "image" problem with its styling. So much for the Mercedes brand cache and the vaunted German Engineering! But we love the total package. Especially the drivetrain. Hopefully the quality problems were sorted out over time and most have been fixed on my car.

This whole buying quest started out as an attempt to basically restart the clock on our aging Pacifica Limited because we love the car so much. Unable to find a late model Pacifica Limited with low miles at a good price, it finally occurred to me that the R Series Mercedes was designed at the same time by the same design team. I looked around and quickly realized that these R Series Mercedes lost value even faster than the Chrysler version of a 2X3 seater and could be found with low miles relatively easily. Voila, I now own one. I intend to keep this thing for a decade. I love this design. With two kids, the Pacifica has worked really well for road trips, vacations, skiing, and beach days as well as the occasional Home Depot duty. The R500 has a far better power train for a heavy people hauler and a superior interior design overall. These "sports tourers" aren't the best at anything but pretty damned good at everything except looking sexy. But I actually like the looks too.

The R500 will not be a daily driver except during the winter. It will probably only see about 5-7,000 miles per year for commuting, vacations, ski trips, Home Depot duty, etc. So fuel mileage is not a big concern.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Good pick up. Do you have a 1 year CPO warranty with it?

Honestly, though, it's a little high on the price. Right now on cars.com there's two R63s for sale at $33,000 and $33,9xx and the whole package of that car would be worth the extra $4,xxx to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Yup, standard Mercedes CPO deal with 1 year max 100,000 mile warranty and the option to buy two more years. The price was at the upper end of the R500 choices. What made me go for this one was the history. Originally sold from a top notch dealer only an hour from me. All maintenance was done there and extensive service records are available. That same dealer took the car back as a trade in and offered it as a CPO vehicle. The thing is flawless cosmetically inside and out. Their detailers did an incredible job reconditioning the car for sale. And this car fit my color and option choices almost perfectly. The only thing it lacks that I would have liked is front seat memory and rear seat heaters. Maybe that was in the premium II package.

Because of this, I know what's failed, what's been repaired and when, and what's maybe out there waiting to bite me in the wallet. I also know that tires, brakes, fluids, filters, battery, alignment, spark plugs, and even wiper blades are all new. So, no maintenance for quite a while. I also know that big stuff like the air struts, air compressor, power steering pump, and transmission have already been replaced or repaired.

I could have saved a few thousand up front with a private sale but then I'd have no documented history on the car, no detailer restoring it to showroom condition, and no warranty. So in the end, I may end up spending as much or more and have to put up with shuttling back and forth to a mechanic. Also, I may have had to pick up a car a few hundred miles away.

As for the R63, not even a consideration for me. I love the idea of a 500 HP V8 but not the fuel mileage. This is going to be the family hauler. I don't want the expense and maintenance of the R63. Besides, I already own one AMG product and that one is a lot quicker than an R63.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM

R500 AMG
Do you have the air suspension? Sounds like you have basically what I have except I own a 2006 with the AMG options. Not aware if the non-AMG have the adj suspension and ride settings. I too am new with the R500. I also (wife) has a ML350 2006. I know the air suspension both front and rear have been the primary issues with many owner, but with the CPO and extended warranty you should be good. Air Suspension repairs can be very costly.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM

2008 R350 4-matic
Congrats! If I had to do it over again, I would also buy a CPO Mercedes like you did. I spent about $3,500 in various repairs after buying my 2008 R from a private party.
Lesson learned and I will definitely get CPO for my next R350 purchase.

That, plus I didn't get the free one year of warranty which is HUGE! It sounds like the major fail issues have already been addressed in your vehicle and I wish you a lot of pleasure with your new car. I guess you already figured this out but I would bring it in and have it examined top to bottom a few weeks before the warranty expires.

Last edited by pacoman; 12-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Bill J
Do you have the air suspension? Sounds like you have basically what I have except I own a 2006 with the AMG options. Not aware if the non-AMG have the adj suspension and ride settings. I too am new with the R500. I also (wife) has a ML350 2006. I know the air suspension both front and rear have been the primary issues with many owner, but with the CPO and extended warranty you should be good. Air Suspension repairs can be very costly.
Yup, full Airmatic with ride height adjustment air compressor, and legendary airbag struts. But my front struts were replaced along with the compressor. So, my exposure for the moment is the rear balloons (I hope).

What is the AMG package? I understand it's a bunch of cosmetic stuff but could never really nail down what it is. I'd love to get my hands on the 2007 brochure but that's unlikely.

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by pacoman
Congrats! If I had to do it over again, I would also buy a CPO Mercedes like you did. I spent about $3,500 in various repairs after buying my 2008 R from a private party. https://mbworld.org/forums/images/sm...smashfreak.gif
Lesson learned and I will definitely get CPO for my next R350 purchase.

That, plus I didn't get the free one year of warranty which is HUGE! It sounds like the major fail issues have already been addressed in your vehicle and I wish you a lot of pleasure with your new car. I guess you already figured this out but I would bring it in and have it examined top to bottom a few weeks before the warranty expires.
Thanks. I really love the layout and power train on this thing. Ha, I hope the major stuff has been taken care of already. I actually passed on a 2006 R500 with 13,000 miles for $25,750 because it wasn't a CPO vehicle. It was in the hands of a used car dealer who bought it at auction. They had no history on it. With no idea of it's repair history and no warranty, I had no interest.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 2006/2007 AMG package only consists of the AMG front and rear bumpers and AMG 19" 5 spoke rims. Cost back then was $4,200 for that package. 2008-2010 AMG bumpers were standard (no more non AMG bumpers available) and the wheels were an option at a lower price.

Good for you that you found the car you wanted and to your spec. I've got the 07 brochure, they're not too hard to find on eBay if you really have to have one. And good call on the CPO!

Heated rear seats are an individual option.
Memory front seats are part of Premium 2. (I have the 2007 brochure as a reference)

Gas on the 63 isn't that bad. Definitely worth the tradeoff to me of the ~3ish mpg difference. And you yourself said you don't care about MPG that much.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 AM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
The 2006/2007 AMG package only consists of the AMG front and rear bumpers and AMG 19" 5 spoke rims. Cost back then was $4,200 for that package. 2008-2010 AMG bumpers were standard (no more non AMG bumpers available) and the wheels were an option at a lower price.

Good for you that you found the car you wanted and to your spec. I've got the 07 brochure, they're not too hard to find on eBay if you really have to have one. And good call on the CPO!

Heated rear seats are an individual option.
Memory front seats are part of Premium 2. (I have the 2007 brochure as a reference)

Gas on the 63 isn't that bad. Definitely worth the tradeoff to me of the ~3ish mpg difference. And you yourself said you don't care about MPG that much.
Thanks for clearing up the options. That AMG package in a non-AMG R seems waaaay overpriced to me. Wouldn't spring for that without the R63 engine and suspension. I did manage to find a PDF version of the 2007 brochure on the web last night but it was still confusing. Lots of packages and individual options for this car in 07.

The rear seat heaters would have been nice as our lowly Pacifica Limited had them standard. Likewise the seat memory. But then this R500 has a bunch of stuff the Pacifica lacks, most notably a 5.0L V8 vs a 3.5L V6 and a 7 speed auto vs a 4 speed. The Merc has a much better power train for these heavy people haulers.

It looks like the person who originally ordered this car chose a bunch of the packages.......
  • Premium I Package
  • Trim Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Sunroof Package
  • Air Suspension Package
  • Voice Recognition Package
And then added a bunch of individual options.....
  • 10 Spoke Wheels
  • Nav
  • Wood Steering Wheel
  • Parktronic
  • Rear Center Console
  • 6 Disc CD Changer

I'm sure the AMG63 is a joy to drive. And yeah, by my calculations the gas cost would be about $300 annually with my 6,000 miles per year @ $4.50 per gallon using 14 vs 18 mpg. So I guess it's not really that big a deal. Thats about $6/week. But then, I've got the SLK32 8 months of the year for fun.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 12-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM

R500 AMG
Im still working all this out, but appears to me that I have all the options except the DVD system. My suspension front and rear were replaced about 10K mi ago - in 2011. The guy I picked this up from just bought a 2006 G wagon and is restoring. I really think I got a great deal No warranty, No CPO but full service records including every oil change.. 100K miles, exterior is flawless, the AMG package adds considerable WOW factor and gives the stance a much more aggressive look. BTW mine is an '06. Interior is perfect all heated seats, memory, Nav, ipod etc. Just can't figure out why the AUX with phono jack won't play my music from iphone??!! and I picked the car up for $12,400 put a new set of tires on it, brakes all 4 wheels redone 2011.. This car on the hi-way is absolute joy with sport settings. If anyone kinows a way I can play tunes off my phone with the AUX and phono jack let me know. I'm thinking since it has the ipod connection they may have disabled it, since the command has only aux - and both cd options...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe on these older Command units if you have the iPod connection you no longer have the auxiliary 3.5mm headphone jack.

To get the iPod to play click Audio, Back (if necessary), and then AUX.

And of course the AMG apperance is standard on the R63.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Bill J
Im still working all this out, but appears to me that I have all the options except the DVD system. My suspension front and rear were replaced about 10K mi ago - in 2011. The guy I picked this up from just bought a 2006 G wagon and is restoring. I really think I got a great deal No warranty, No CPO but full service records including every oil change.. 100K miles, exterior is flawless, the AMG package adds considerable WOW factor and gives the stance a much more aggressive look. BTW mine is an '06. Interior is perfect all heated seats, memory, Nav, ipod etc. Just can't figure out why the AUX with phono jack won't play my music from iphone??!! and I picked the car up for $12,400 put a new set of tires on it, brakes all 4 wheels redone 2011.. This car on the hi-way is absolute joy with sport settings. If anyone kinows a way I can play tunes off my phone with the AUX and phono jack let me know. I'm thinking since it has the ipod connection they may have disabled it, since the command has only aux - and both cd options...
Wow, 100,000 miles on your R500 and going strong. That's encouraging. I'm really hoping to keep this car for maybe 10 years and was counting on the power train to be bullet proof. I love the overall design and 3X2 seating and there really isn't anything like it now that both the Pacifica and the R Series are out of production. At the price you paid, a few maintenance dollars here and there won't hurt so much. Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
I believe on these older Command units if you have the iPod connection you no longer have the auxiliary 3.5mm headphone jack.

To get the iPod to play click Audio, Back (if necessary), and then AUX.

And of course the AMG apperance is standard on the R63.
That is not true.

I have both.
To listen to 3.5 mm jack, I set to rear to play any device that connected to it, and Aux to play music from iphone that with connect to Ipod connector.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianR350
That is not true.

I have both.
To listen to 3.5 mm jack, I set to rear to play any device that connected to it, and Aux to play music from iphone that with connect to Ipod connector.
Ah then I guess it depends on if your car has the factory rear seat entertainment or not.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Ah then I guess it depends on if your car has the factory rear seat entertainment or not.

I do not have rear seat entertaiment.

3.5mm jack is standard and Ipod connector was an option on my 08 R350
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianR350
I do not have rear seat entertaiment.

3.5mm jack is standard and Ipod connector was an option on my 08 R350
In 06/07 (not sure about 08 and 09) a standard R with no RSE has the aux. If you get the RSE option, you lose the aux and can't add the iPod as an option.

They later sold a patch cable that the dealer can install that allows you to add the iPod if you have the RSE.

Essentially the issue was that the RSE took the input on the back of the Command unit for the iPod. They later made a special cable that has a splitter in it that allows you to have the iPod and RSE hooked up to the same input.

I guess what you have is an AUX jack and iPod jack hooked up to a similar splitter like situation that then plugs into the back of your head unit.

In 09+ MB fixed this issue with an upgraded Command unit that had more inputs.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Nathan, Just to clarify with you.

I looked at the window sticker for my 08, it showed the COMAND has built in "Auxiliary input for MP3 & Ipod" (the 3.5 mm connector is located on the right side of glove compartment. The Ipod cable is a loose one and located on the left side of glove compartment. So I believe they do not come from the same cable or spitter. (it came from factory).

My option list show on the sticker are:
- iPod Intergartion Kit $375$
-7 seat Option $650
- Glass sunroof (replacs 413 Panorama Sunroof) $1000 -
-Heated Front seats $710
Po1 Package $ 4850

Last edited by AsianR350; 12-20-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 AM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
All Weather Mats

Tonight I ordered condoms for the R500. WeatherTech mats for the three seat rows. I've been using these in all my cars for more than 15 years. They can really save your factory carpeting. WeatherTech had custom fit mats for the R Series.

For the cargo area, WeatherTech didn't have a custom liner for the R and their generic cut-to-fit liner had dimensions that are all wrong for our cars so, I ordered Lloyd RubberTite liners for the area behind the 3rd row and another liner that goes up to the second row when the 3rd row is folded. The Lloyd liners are supposedly custom cut for the R's interior. Never used these RubberTite mats before but they appeal because they have no rigid raised lip around the edge. They are flat with little bubbles all over that trap liquids. Seems like these will roll up easier when you're not using them. My WeatherTech liner in the Pacifica was a pain in the butt when you wanted the rear seats up.

Also already bought the Thule rack feet and fit kit to convert over all my Thule stuff. I really dislike the fixed mounting point feet for this car. With the Pacifica fixed mounting point in a track, I had a Thule foot that was click-on / click-off. Literally a couple of seconds to install or remove the racks. With these 460 Podium feet, you need a damned wrench and probably 10 minutes of farting around. We'll see how quick it is. I'm not relishing farting around with tiny nuts and a wrench in 20 degree weather in the dark in a snowy driveway after a long day of skiing. I don't like to leave the racks on because of the noise and drag. But I do have a wind fairing on both my racks and it cuts the noise dramatically. I may end up just leaving the damned things on for ski season. Apparently Thule has stopped making the click-on feet altogether. Maybe they were a problem.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 12-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 AM

w203/01, W204/09
Originally Posted by Spud_Racer
The R series certainly seems to have more than its share of quality problems for a Mercedes luxury vehicle in addition to an "image" problem with its styling. So much for the Mercedes brand cache and the vaunted German Engineering! But we love the total package. Especially the drivetrain. Hopefully the quality problems were sorted out over time and most have been fixed on my car.
I love the R Class styling and am considering one for long range driving and I need the floor-space.

But, that is an awful lot of major componentry replacement for such low a low milage vehicle. It does sound like you have a new vehicle with all that maintenance.

If your driving is going to be only 7k mi/yr you probably don't need the extended maintenance.

I have a friend that has a R Class, Two of them, and only regular maintenance on either.
-Alan

Last edited by alanedinger; 12-21-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 AM

w203/01, W204/09
That's a super picture btw.

-Alan
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by alanedinger
I love the R Class styling and am considering one for long range driving and I need the floor-space.

But, that is an awful lot of major componentry replacement for such low a low milage vehicle. It does sound like you have a new vehicle with all that maintenance.

If your driving is going to be only 7k mi/yr you probably don't need the extended maintenance.

I have a friend that has a R Class, Two of them, and only regular maintenance on either.
-Alan
Yeah, I'm hoping the original owner was neurotic about maintenance and determined to use the hell out of the Mercedes warranty. For instance, his last service bill right before he turned the car in was $1,600. That was all maintenance out of his own pocket. And the dealer really does seem top notch. Between the CPO process and warranty work, I'm hoping all the big stuff has been sorted out before I bought it. Good to know that some people are having a trouble free experience.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Just brought the car home today. First impressions from about an hour of driving. The R500 feels bigger and heavier than the Pacifica. The engine and transmission are much smoother. Much quieter than the Pacifica which is already a pretty quiet environment. The R500 seats are a better fit for me. Just the right amount of grip in the bolsters. I prefer the sport suspension setting. Probably because most of the time I drive an SLK32 AMG. Controls are pretty easy to adjust to, even the COMAND system. My rear cargo liner from the Pacifica fits the R almost exactly. Hmmm, keep the old gray one from the Pacifica or go with the tan one I ordered as a custom fit for the R last night?

I'd rate the two audio systems as about a tie. Not surprising since they are both Harman Kardon designs. Lots of nice little touches in the Mercedes design like the one touch "up" on the window switches. Altogether better control and switch feel in general on the Mercedes.

The navigation maps are very much like the ones in the Pacifica. Same look and feel. A good thing in my book. And not surprising as these were both designed on Mercedes watch. Nav seems very straightforward to use. Again, a good thing. My wife's Infiniti drives us nuts.

Power train is a joy. The V8 is smooth and quiet. The transmission likewise seems refined compared to the Chrysler 4 speed. The paddle shifters are a nice change for me. The transmission seems to respond quickly to inputs from the driver.

I love the Macadamia Nut interior with the burled walnut wood. I don't like dark interiors generally. Prefer brighter colors.

4Matic is seamless. Can't even tell it's there. And the Conti 4X4 Contact tires seem reasonably quiet and responsive. Brakes are nice and progressive but powerful. The car handles hard braking very well.

Steering is one area that I'd actually give the edge to the Pacifica. The R seems to be geared a little slower and has slightly more assist. But some of that could be the difference in tires too. Or the fact that I've got six years experience in the Chrysler vs one hour in the Mercedes.

Overall, the R500 just feels like a tank and worth the roughly $20,000 MSRP premium over the Pacifica.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 12-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
OK, went to the post office this afternoon and picked up my eBay sourced Bluetooth adapter (5878). Got that installed, iPhone 5 paired with no problem, downloaded all 700+ contacts from my phone, set up voice calling for frequently called numbers. Called Sirius and got satellite radio activated.

Didn't have time to set up the homelink transmitters for the garage doors. Tomorrow.

COMAND system is pretty intuitive and easy to work with. Haven't cracked open the manual yet. Predictable, eh?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Spud_Racer
Steering is one area that I'd actually give the edge to the Pacifica. The R seems to be geared a little slower and has slightly more assist. But some of that could be the difference in tires too. Or the fact that I've got six years experience in the Chrysler vs one hour in the Mercedes.

Overall, the R500 just feels like a tank and worth the roughly $20,000 MSRP premium over the Pacifica.
The R has variable steering, so the steering wheel is less sensitive on higher speeds than it is on very low speeds like in a parking lot. Don't really know about the Pacifica, but the two are totally different designs with different mechanical components, platforms etc. It is a common misconception that the two cars are of common origin. Not true, at all other than the three row seating thing.

You did well, although a bit high on price. I miss mine every day. You will enjoy it most on long family trips. It s a great vehicle, and what I call Mercedes's best kept secret, especially the R500.

Last edited by aggst1; 12-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New R500 owner.....first post.....am I insane?