R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R500 Keyless button on handles but no touch start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
R500 Keyless button on handles but no touch start

I looked at a r500 today with keyless buttons on all 4 doors, however there was no keyless button to start the engine. I had to use the key. My E55 had this button right on the shifter and according to the pictures online, the button should be located where the ignition is..

Any input??? I am totally confused.

As soon as i opened the door the car gave the "dont forget key warning" leading me to believe that this car is in fact a true KEYLESS GO.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 PM

bump... been searching other sites with no info on this
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Sorry dude, my R500 doesn't have "Keyless Go". But from my research, just like what you expected, the two identifying marks for that option were the little black rubber buttons on the door handles and the "Start" button where my smart key would go on the dash below the right side of the steering wheel.

I can't imagine why an R would have the door buttons but not the start button. Hard to believe anyone would have converted backward from keyless go to a smart key ignition switch.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spud_Racer
Sorry dude, my R500 doesn't have "Keyless Go". But from my research, just like what you expected, the two identifying marks for that option were the little black rubber buttons on the door handles and the "Start" button where my smart key would go on the dash below the right side of the steering wheel.

I can't imagine why an R would have the door buttons but not the start button. Hard to believe anyone would have converted backward from keyless go to a smart key ignition switch.

thanks spud.. it really not a deal breaker, it just makes me wonder too much
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
I looked at a r500 today with keyless buttons on all 4 doors, however there was no keyless button to start the engine. I had to use the key. My E55 had this button right on the shifter and according to the pictures online, the button should be located where the ignition is..

Any input??? I am totally confused.

As soon as i opened the door the car gave the "dont forget key warning" leading me to believe that this car is in fact a true KEYLESS GO.
My car has keyless go and this one should too. The "Start the Engine" button is removable from the ignition and someone may has just lost it.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by supernsx
My car has keyless go and this one should too. The "Start the Engine" button is removable from the ignition and someone may has just lost it.

Thats good news I guess, because i purchased the vehicle. So bare with me as I try to understand this, Once the button is removed, the key slot is visible? I feel like such a rookie asking these questions..

Also none of the black buttons on the door handles work to unlock/lock doors??? any input there.. trust me man ive been searching i guess not hard enough though...

thanks supernsx
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 e350 wagon
Yes, the Start engine button is removable. Also, if the key(s) can start the vehicle by inserting them, even when they do not work remotely. I know this because I accidently washed my key for my wife's e350 wagon and it no longer works keylessly to lock, unlock, or start the car, but I can still place it in the slot and drive the car with it.

Perhaps your key(s) either needs new batteries or suffered a similar fate? Congratulations on your purchase, by the way!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mshii
Yes, the Start engine button is removable. Also, if the key(s) can start the vehicle by inserting them, even when they do not work remotely. I know this because I accidently washed my key for my wife's e350 wagon and it no longer works keylessly to lock, unlock, or start the car, but I can still place it in the slot and drive the car with it.

Perhaps your key(s) either needs new batteries or suffered a similar fate? Congratulations on your purchase, by the way!
Thanks MShii, well the the key works perfectly fine to lock and unlock the doors. its the actual keyless buttons on each door that does not work. Im wondering if something went wrong and the previous owner removed the start/button..
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Thats good news I guess, because i purchased the vehicle. So bare with me as I try to understand this, Once the button is removed, the key slot is visible? I feel like such a rookie asking these questions..

Also none of the black buttons on the door handles work to unlock/lock doors??? any input there.. trust me man ive been searching i guess not hard enough though...

thanks supernsx
Once the button is removed, the key slot operates the same as a regular vehicle.

I am quite certain your car has keyless go based on your description.... and I am wondering why your door buttons don't work. Just some random thoughts but may be keyless go uses a special key (when I ordered my spare key, I paid a little more due mine has keyless go. not sure the extra cost is the key itself or on setup) and yours is not. Or your key needs new battery or semi-broken. Or someone turned off the keyless go feature from computer (if it is possible)... may be you should take the car to the dealer and ask.

Btw, in my opinion, the Keyless go is the MOST USEFUL option to have on my R500. Mine is pretty loaded and all other options to me are pretty much "good to have".

Last edited by supernsx; 03-25-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Once the button is removed, the key slot operates the same as a regular vehicle.

I am quite certain your car has keyless go based on your description.... and I am wondering why your door buttons don't work. Just some random thoughts but may be keyless go uses a special key (when I ordered my spare key, I paid a little more due mine has keyless go. not sure the extra cost is the key itself or on setup) and yours is not. Or your key needs new battery or semi-broken. Or someone turned off the keyless go feature from computer (if it is possible)... may be you should take the car to the dealer and ask.

Btw, in my opinion, the Keyless go is the MOST USEFUL option to have on my R500. Mine is pretty loaded and all other options to me are pretty much "good to have".

Thanks Supernsx! getting the keyless-go to function will be my number one priority. I found the start/stop button on ebay. Not sure if its car-specific or not. it appears that my only option is to go to the dealer for exact answers, Hopefully its a simple fix...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 R320 4matic / Airmatic
Thanks Supernsx! getting the keyless-go to function will be my number one priority. I found the start/stop button on ebay. Not sure if its car-specific or not. it appears that my only option is to go to the dealer for exact answers, Hopefully its a simple fix...
You might consult the owner's manual here :

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals

I'm guessing the missing start button deactivates the keyless unlock buttons, since the car would be in "key mode" ....
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the link Pete. i have the owners manual, but it really did not state that removing the start stop button deactivates the system.. I wish it did. BUT I also have a feeling that it does heres an attached picture of the actual part

Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Anyone with keyless go willing to take their start/stop button out the ignition just to confirm?? would be a HUGE help..

thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Anyone with keyless go willing to take their start/stop button out the ignition just to confirm?? would be a HUGE help..

thanks
Did remove that and the door buttons still work. Btw, I had a peek of my keyless go button and the part number is 2215450114.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Did remove that and the door buttons still work. Btw, I had a peek of my keyless go button and the part number is 2215450114.

WOW!!thanks for the help SuperNSX.. although this means i have an even bigger issue on my hands, it takes out alot of guessing.

So previous owner had an issue with the keyless system and took the override method instead of fixing it.

Appreciate the part number.. I'll definitely be needing that.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM

WOW!!thanks for the help SuperNSX.. although this means i have an even bigger issue on my hands, it takes out alot of guessing.

So previous owner had an issue with the keyless system and took the override method instead of fixing it.

Appreciate the part number.. I'll definitely be needing that.
I am still guessing the most likely scenario is your smart key is either not supporting Keyless Go or not setup correctly. Do you have a spare one? Or may be you should do some research on Smart Key/Keyless-Go.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM

I am still guessing the most likely scenario is your smart key is either not supporting Keyless Go or not setup correctly. Do you have a spare one? Or may be you should do some research on Smart Key/Keyless-Go.

Thanks for all the support guys. I hope this thread will be useful to someone in the future.

However the car "failed inspection" .....whatever that means. salesman said the engine had a knock, which is complete BS!!! i think they realized they sold the car for too low of a price and wanted to back out.

ON ANOTHER NOTE!!!!

Looked at a saks 5th avenue model r500 last night in immaculate condition.. lacks power liftgate and keyless which is not a deal-breaker. So im sure everything happens for a reason.