R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

40 or 55 offset on 20x10 wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
40 or 55 offset on 20x10 wheels

What are our thought on 40 or 55 offset on 20x10 wheels and 265/45/20 tires? Based on researching this forums, folks think 40 sticks beyond the fender, but my vendors are claiming otherwise... Some suggest 55 would definitely not work.

Car is a 2012 R350, lowering by about 1.5 inches all around.

Ideally I'd like 48 or 50, based on research, but the wheel I like does not come with that offset (Niche Targa).

Your input will be much appreciated. Need to make purchase soon!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
What are our thought on 40 or 55 offset on 20x10 wheels and 265/45/20 tires? Based on researching this forums, folks think 40 sticks beyond the fender, but my vendors are claiming otherwise... Some suggest 55 would definitely not work.

Car is a 2012 R350, lowering by about 1.5 inches all around.

Ideally I'd like 48 or 50, based on research, but the wheel I like does not come with that offset (Niche Targa).

Your input will be much appreciated. Need to make purchase soon!
Not sure about ET55 but definitely not ET40. Too low an offset and the wheel will stick up too much from the wheel well. The wheels can damage the fenders when the car hits a deep ramp or pot hole. Use the offset calculator to compare with the OEM. Btw, I don't think it will look good either.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

You may want to check the owner manual but I believe the OEM spec is 8.5 x 19 inch wheels with 60mm offset
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM

R350
Thanks for the reply SuperNSX.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about either not looing good? Are you saying the correct offset should be somewhere between 40 and 55, or are you thinking of keeping the stock offset at 60mm (I think it may actually be 67mm)?

I am trying to go for a wider stance... but you are right on definitely not wanting to go too far and 1) damage the car 2) have the wheels stick out beyond the fender

The calculator is very useful (think either you or someone else had posted in an earlier thread)! It shows

stock 19 x 8.5 et 67 vs. 20 x 10 et 55 would result in

7mm less clearance on the inside
31mm extension on the outside

Think safer to go with 55 at this point... please post if anyone has other thoughts!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Thanks for the reply SuperNSX.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about either not looing good? Are you saying the correct offset should be somewhere between 40 and 55, or are you thinking of keeping the stock offset at 60mm (I think it may actually be 67mm)?

I am trying to go for a wider stance... but you are right on definitely not wanting to go too far and 1) damage the car 2) have the wheels stick out beyond the fender

The calculator is very useful (think either you or someone else had posted in an earlier thread)! It shows

stock 19 x 8.5 et 67 vs. 20 x 10 et 55 would result in

7mm less clearance on the inside
31mm extension on the outside

Think safer to go with 55 at this point... please post if anyone has other thoughts!
I know the my 2006 has et 67 offest but thought the new one may be different.

Anyway, what I did was use my OEM wheels as the baseline and make sure I have enough (at least 7mm in your case) clearance between the wheels and strut housing (or you will need spacer). Also, I measure the distance between the OEM wheels and edge of the fender and make sure the new wheels will not stick out from the car.

I used to run 22" with 45 et and the wheels stuck out too much from the fender. I hated the look of it and eventually took the loss and got a set of 20" with less aggressive offset.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R500
this is 20" X 10" with 46mm offset. rear wheel openings needed to slightly roll the lip, fronts are just about as far as you'd ever dare to go, ideal to me would be ~5mm less poke in the front, but it does not rub even when completely aired out and dropped to the ground simulating full compression, the wheel tucks in the well, does not contact the fender

this is just as a reference for you how it would fit visually with a 20x10et46, my tires are oversized and your tire profile will not look as tall as this assuming you go with stock size tires. you can compare any other wheel you are considering with this fitment to ensure it does not stick out more than this. you def don't want more poke than this, even a few mm's more would put it to the point of too much and again I think even this is ~5mm too much

also another note is that if you are not lowered at all then these wheel fitment would probably then look like they're sticking out too much, I'd suggest at least 10mm LESS protrusion than this if you are at stock ride height

Last edited by turbocad6; 08-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM

R350
Saw this when shopping for rear links... anyone know whose car it is, what type wheels, wheel/tire size/offset etc.?

http://adjustableairride.com/gallery...M2UxZDNjNGRmZQ
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM

R350
Thanks Turbocad! This information is very helpful. So the sellers who claimed 20x10 et 40 would be fine are sadly mistaken...

20x10 with et55 would appear to work. However, a couple of other sellers I am talking to have brought up the issue of some wheels now not clearing in the front on the INSIDE.

Turbocad did you by any chance measure how much clearance you have on the INSIDE for the front wheels?

At this point, I am inclined to go with 20x8.5 with et 32-35 (depending on what is available for the style I would like... 20x10 just seem like too problematic on the front unless I put down major $$$ to custom fit/make something

You guys feel either one of these? Both would be at 20x8.5 and et35

http://tsw.com/alloy_wheels_tremblant.php
The one with black center and polished lip

or

http://tsw.com/alloy_wheels_valencia_5.php
The one with silver center and polished lip

Originally Posted by turbocad6
this is 20" X 10" with 46mm offset. rear wheel openings needed to slightly roll the lip, fronts are just about as far as you'd ever dare to go, ideal to me would be ~5mm less poke in the front, but it does not rub even when completely aired out and dropped to the ground simulating full compression, the wheel tucks in the well, does not contact the fender

this is just as a reference for you how it would fit visually with a 20x10et46, my tires are oversized and your tire profile will not look as tall as this assuming you go with stock size tires. you can compare any other wheel you are considering with this fitment to ensure it does not stick out more than this. you def don't want more poke than this, even a few mm's more would put it to the point of too much and again I think even this is ~5mm too much

also another note is that if you are not lowered at all then these wheel fitment would probably then look like they're sticking out too much, I'd suggest at least 10mm LESS protrusion than this if you are at stock ride height
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM

2006 R500
hey man, since I knew I was coming out with them so much I wasn't so concerned about the inside so I honestly didn't pay all that much attention inside, that was not my limiting factor... I'll try to check it out for you over the weekend and let you know but what you could do in the meantime is use a good offset calculator and see how much the new size you're considering winds up being additional on the inside compared to stock, and then check your OE clearance. honestly I think you should be fine with et55 on a 10" rim, I know i'm not that close to anything on the inside that 9mm would make so much of a difference but I'll try to get under there and check for you, I'll also try to get you a straight on shot from the side so you can see exactly how these fit... I think et55 should be ideal on a 10" rim, actually perfect would probably be right around et50-51 or so, so et55 should be right on the money. if you are not lowering then et55 sounds even more perfect, et40 would be bad on a 10" wheel for sure
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM

2006 R500
also, i would not be hesitant on a 10" rim, we do have more than enough room for that, my tires are 1.5" larger diameter than stock and I still don't rub or have any clearance issues at all, also now see you're 1.5" lowered too so 10" et55 all the way I'd say
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 PM

R350
Unfortunately I am on a budget so have to buy online (discount tire direct), and not at a local shop that can do the measurements... The sales rep I talked to says their system does not show the TSW Tremblant or Valencia to fit my car... while other wheels in 20x10 do, so I challenged him. He ended up calling TSW directly to ask why would the 20x10 for Temblant and Valencia not fit, and the official response from TSW is that the spokes sit within the wheel (as opposed to attaching to the outside edge of the wheel) so it will not clear on the inside.

Discount tire won't sell me something their system (and confirmed by the vendor) says won't fit... so pretty much my only option are the 20x8.5.

Now other wheels work fine in 20x10, another sales rep I talked to (from a different website) says 20x10 et55 Niche Targa is just fine, since the spoke attaches to the outer edge of the wheel on the outside... unfortunately Niche discontinued in that configuration and no one carries it now...

Add on top of all this my getting cold feet about mods voiding warranty... think it may be best to stick with something closer to stock.

So... think will be going with the 20x8.5, thanks for the input though!!! Wish I have technical and manufacturing skills like you, then I would be more inclined to try things and figure it out when it does not work right away...

Originally Posted by turbocad6
also, i would not be hesitant on a 10" rim, we do have more than enough room for that, my tires are 1.5" larger diameter than stock and I still don't rub or have any clearance issues at all, also now see you're 1.5" lowered too so 10" et55 all the way I'd say