front left air suspension shot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R280 L
front left air suspension shot?

hi all,
yesterday while I was driving to school to pick up the kids, I parked the car as usual, then somebody said to me that my car was droopy.
not knowing what he was talking about, I went out and sure enough the front left of the car suspension is shot? I have a 20" and the tire is about 1-2 inch below the fender well.

panic mode!

so I tried to switch on the vehicle raise. and after a while (took longer than usual) the car was raised to the extended height level. after driving it about 2 minutes around the parking lot, I decided to lower it.
I was relieved that the car was lowered to the normal height . all four wheels have the same wheel gap between the fenders and the tires.
so my day continues..

until at night, it happened again, this was when I slowly hit a pot hole ( I knew there was one and it was inevitable to avoid it so I slowed down to like 5km/hr) and I heard scraping noise. parked the car again and sure enough the left side went droopy again.

panic mode again.

this time I tried to rinse and repeat the procedure in the afternoon. but now the airmatic display says " compressor cooling down"

now funny enough, coincidently the cigarette lighter doesn't work,
I tot.. fuse problem.

next day morning, while the car is still in droopy stance, I check the cigarette light fuse, yep sure enough its blown,

then I went to check the airmatic air suspension fuse no 32. Clean.
I went to check the Air compress for air suspension fuse no 108. Clean again.

I started the car. turned on the vehicle raise. no warning "compressor cooling down" warning now.
the car raised to the normal increased height. and then I lowered it and now its back to the Normal height.

can anyone helped assessed the situation? I haven't removed the wheel to check for leaks...if I do, what should I be looking for? oil stains? hissing sound.
thank you.

update #1
haven't done anything to car. last after it was being raised and lowered. I noticed the left side is about 1 finger lower than the right side...

Last edited by szulkarn; 10-20-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
Heres a nice guide...

Does sound like the airbags got a leak but heres a good link for troubleshooting and guide for the airmatic
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-suspension-troubleshooting-airmatic-visit-workshop/
best of luck
Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 AM

R280 L
hiya.jon, how u doing....
btw i got my illuminated star off some guy in china. installed them and /kiss it looks so badass.. thanks for your tip.

btw regarding the air sus
i recently (last week ) just changed into 20inch rims,
plus i have been playing around switching from comfort to sport mode while driving. should i switch between modes while in Park? or can i do it while driving. makes me paranoid now.

its saturday now. and im thinking of not using it until monday. currebtly the car parjed with the left leg 1 finger lower than the right. i want to see monday if it continues to lower. if it does, im guessing leak then...
oh boy... i just got this car used with only 19k km on it.. cant believe something so young already breaking.
i rellaced both abs sensors already...

anyone else have a guess..?
thanks

Originally Posted by JonMac
Does sound like the airbags got a leak but heres a good link for troubleshooting and guide for the airmatic
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-suspension-troubleshooting-airmatic-visit-workshop/
best of luck
Old 10-21-2017, 05:19 AM

R280 L
its been about 7 hours since i last raised an lowered to normal condition...as i guessed it...both left and right down...i guess i do have a leak... the back is nice and high...imma have to qait till monday to be able to get it diagnosed.
poop...

any suggestions are welcome.
thank you
Originally Posted by JonMac
best of luck
Old 10-22-2017, 06:09 AM

R280 L
Need to diy find the leak spot by soapy water

Can anyone help me with the spots that i need to spray Soapy water to diy spot find the leaks?
Thanks...
Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
cehck out that link :)

Heya ...
check out that link i posted in the original reply... (copy paste) ...
it's a full guide on how to trouble shoot / find / repair options on our airmatic...
btw, 19k kilometres is ridiculously low milage for the suspension to go.. what year is your R?
best of luck
here's the link again ...
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-sus...isit-workshop/
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 PM

R280 L
19k! I know right. Its a 2011 though.. i got it used. And looks like the previous just baby it in the garage. But still 19k is ridiculously low for anything to happen. I already replaced 2 front abs sensors...maybe the myth about having a car that is not used = dying car...

I check the link already. I m at a mercedes shop atm... Lets see how they gonna troubleshoot .
Im thinking either
The brass fittings,
The bleeder valve
The distibrution valve (hope not)
Height sensor?

Annoying....
Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2007 r320
Originally Posted by szulkarn
19k! I know right. Its a 2011 though.. i got it used. And looks like the previous just baby it in the garage. But still 19k is ridiculously low for anything to happen. I already replaced 2 front abs sensors...maybe the myth about having a car that is not used = dying car...

I check the link already. I m at a mercedes shop atm... Lets see how they gonna troubleshoot .
Im thinking either
The brass fittings,
The bleeder valve
The distibrution valve (hope not)
Height sensor?

Annoying....
What did the dealership find?