Help with Aux Input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG, sold: E63 Wagon, R63
Question Help with Aux Input

Hello all,

I have a new-to-me R63 AMG. Loving the car so far, with the exception of the (poorly) aging infotainment center.

I have done a ton of research on this site, and have learned a few things: Early (2006-07) R-Class vehicles could not come factory equipped with both a glovebox AUX input and the rear entertainment system (RES). Well, my R63 has the dual RES, and alas, no AUX input in the glovebox.

I have also learned here that you can in fact play music via a 3.5 mm AUX connection plugged into the RES, but that the screen of the DVD player must be on in order for this to work.
I don't like this for a variety of reasons, most of which is that I believe this would produce unfavorable glare during night time driving -- not to mention the headache of turning the screen on every time you want to listen to music. No thanks.

I also read on this forum that you can order a factory iPod integration kit, which, when connected to an iPod, will override the AUX channel and allow playback over the RES. I don't own an iPod, especially not one that would plug into the 2007 connection harness (I believe Apple has changed the connection each generation?). I see that there are aftermarket options available that connect into the vintage iPod harness and transform it into a normal 3.5 jack or even a Bluetooth receiver. This would be an okay option, but not ideal. This iPod kit part number is B67824558 if anyone is interested in that.

Ultimately, I would prefer a simple OEM 3.5 mm AUX input jack. I would have to forgo the RES, as the AUX harness would take its place, which is fine. I was not able, however, to find a part number for this part. Does anybody know the part number for the regular old AUX input jack that mounts in the glovebox?

Ultimately, I want an AUX input so I can stream music via my phone. Any help determining the best solution here is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
I used mine that way for 4 years. worked great. You maybe able to dim the display. .but I did not.. no glare problem.. if it is .. just cover it .
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by efzauner
I used mine that way for 4 years. worked great. You maybe able to dim the display. .but I did not.. no glare problem.. if it is .. just cover it .
It was dark by the time I was home this evening, so I haven't given it a good look back there.

Where did you plug-in your aux device? Is there a 3.5mm jack back there? I know I remember seeing Red/Yellow/White input. Do I need to buy a R/Y/W splitter or is there a regular 3.5 jack I am missing?

What was your order of operations? Do you have to turn the screen on every time you want to use it, or will it come on automatically when you start the car if you never physically turn it off with a power button? (I am assuming it would turn itself off after the key is removed from the car...?)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
you just need a male RCA Left Right (usually white and red) to male 3.5 cable. they come in 3, 6, 12 feet . you can get even at dollars stores for a couple of bucks. Connect to aux 1 (or aux2) in your armrest DVD. Then you have to turn on the display (by pressing the power button on the display) and then select the aux I think you need the remote for this, but I dont recall. . Once Aux is selected I recall that you dont have to reselect everytime. it stays in memory.. The display turns off when you turn off ignition. It is very easy to reach back with your right hand to press the On button again.

Given the cost and effort of adding another kind of aux interface I felt that this was an easy and no cost solution.
The following users liked this post:
JustAVan (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 PM

I'd prefer an more polished process, but this is good advice for an "I can live with it" scenario.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM

I purchased the iPod kit ( part number B67824252 ) used on eBay and plan to get a Bluetooth dongle from Bovee that will connect to my phone, thus allowing audio streaming via Bluetooth. Not sure when I will do the install, but I will try and post results.

The part number above is identical to the part number B67824558 listed in post one.

Last edited by JustAVan; 11-16-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added part numbers