R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Cranks but doesn't grab, P0022 error code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Cranks but doesn't grab, P0022 error code

I have an R350 with 175K, done my share of repairs but, overall, have had a good relationship with the vehicle. For about 100K, (seriously), the engine has thrown an error code of P0022, A Camshaft Position Sensor Timing Over-Retarded Bank 2. Until now, I have ignored it and driven this car EVERYWHERE without an issue. Today, after a short 20 mile trip and 1 hr. rest, the car would not start. It cranks but, does not grab. Has this code finally caught up with me or, is it something else? Fuel pump sounds like it it working so that would leave spark and compression or, would replacing the Camshaft Position Sensors, Magnets and Cranshaft Position Sensors be a fix.

Anyone?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Lol yea dude' ..u cant drive a car without a working camshaft position sensor...a few weeks ago i replaced one on a honda..and the car didnt turn on until i clipped it in all the way...i had placed it but it didnt click' ..go to www.autohausaz.com for the sensor or get one at the stealership because the wrong sensor even if it works wont turn on your car and youll think is something else...Also you shouldnt of have driven the car like that my friend..you couldve messed up something else....check out that site..ive known them for years..and good prices on Benz parts..

Originally Posted by rsalvo
I have an R350 with 175K, done my share of repairs but, overall, have had a good relationship with the vehicle. For about 100K, (seriously), the engine has thrown an error code of P0022, A Camshaft Position Sensor Timing Over-Retarded Bank 2. Until now, I have ignored it and driven this car EVERYWHERE without an issue. Today, after a short 20 mile trip and 1 hr. rest, the car would not start. It cranks but, does not grab. Has this code finally caught up with me or, is it something else? Fuel pump sounds like it it working so that would leave spark and compression or, would replacing the Camshaft Position Sensors, Magnets and Cranshaft Position Sensors be a fix.

Anyone?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:06 PM

R350
Thanks. I ordered 4 to replace all. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Yea make sure its the one specific for your Car..some may look feel and fit the same ,but wont work....only use OEM and if u can verify with ur Vin before you order...u dont want to crank and not work and think its something else thats wrong....
Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM

R350
I ordered the Bosch parts from Autohauz using their car selection tool.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Ok cool....keep us posted...what year is yours ?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 PM

R350

2008. My other concern is the condition of the wiring that connect the senors and magnets. See the attached pictures. Should I replace this as well? Cannot quite see where the attachment points are located. Where can i buy the harness?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Oh yea ....if you can disconnect it to inspect that harness very good and make sure there are no cracks burns or etc...if they are yea u might need to change it....the outside barrier is not that important if its affected since you can re-wrap it up with something like electrical tape but not electrical tape...something rated to a more temperature tolerant enviroment...i can give you a number to a good scrap yard i know in Miami that have hundreds of MB,BMW. And Porsche cars only..prices have gone up a bit there from when i use to go there back a few years for my other Benz.. i think you can order with them by phone they will ship it to you...just let me know and ill message you the number...if you find the harness in good shape then re-wrap it and plug it back in....
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 PM

R350
The wire lead in my hand in the picture actually has exposure through the wire coating so the interior is exposed. I am wondering if this is why the p0022 error code with CEL was intermittent for the better part of 18 months. The Camshaft Position Sensors arrive tomorrow and I will install them on Thursday morning. If that does not do the trick, what are my options other than the tow of shame? Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor as well? Wouldn't I have gotten an additional error code if it was something additional?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM

If its just simple wiring you might be able to cut out the bad part and re-connect the wires and tape it with electrical type tape rated for high temperature...but this is a big maybe..because again this is not a nissan or similar...so i would double check with someone before doing...another is if the cables are bad..you are still going to have an error...but after you complete the whole patch up task...you might kost likely need to get the codes erased because i doubt they would magically dissapear...i bought an icarsoft MB II on amazon and those or more than just an OBd reader they specify abit more into just MB and they ask you on the app what model car you have...i have an 2008 and i was able to clear a "SRS" malfuction with this last week that tripped when i disconnected the harness under the seat......again if anything if you do cut and rewire try to disconnect both ends, reconnect and try it all out and clear the code....you might want to try just connecting all first covering the harness and erasing the code then seeing if you get errors...then if you get errors...try fixing the wire harness..and if it still persists..buy the harness at a scrap yard...many scrap yards have a full list of other yards inventory if you ask nicely...
Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM

R350
Thanks BB. I found a replacement harness for $99. I may just go ahead and have it installed depending upon what it will cost to do so.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 PM

R350
SOLVED. Not any of the sensors; it was the fuel pump, $840.00

Now the satellite radio does not work. Geez.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 PM

Nice that you solved...but abit high price on the fuel pump though...last time mine went out on my E320 i payed arround $320 for part and Labor at a regular mechanic shop...

SOLVED. Not any of the sensors; it was the fuel pump, $840.00

Now the satellite radio does not work. Geez.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM

R350
Fuel pump on R class is underneath the right side, second seat. Parts were $398, that's a bit higher than the OEM part on Parts Geek but, a little profit here and there. Still no sound out of the COMMAND unit and no recognition of the SAT radio. Tried ever fix I could find on these boards, no luck.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R350
Won't Start - Reply

Thanks BB. I found a replacement harness for $99. I may just go ahead and have it installed depending upon what it will cost to do so.
How did you find out it was the fuel pump, instead of the Camshaft position sensor?
Old 06-02-2018, 04:24 PM

R350
When replacing the sensors had no effect, I took it to a local shop. They suspected the fuel pump right away but, there is no error code for a fuel pump malfunction and they had to get to it and run tests. The car runs fine now but no SAT radio, no AUX.
The following users liked this post:
Godschildfaith (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Yea your right about no error code when its the Pump..that happend to me as well on the E320...it would start..revs go up..and go back down til the engine shut off' ..i think the part they used for my car was from a regular autopart store..Napa,advance etc..

When replacing the sensors had no effect, I took it to a local shop. They suspected the fuel pump right away but, there is no error code for a fuel pump malfunction and they had to get to it and run tests. The car runs fine now but no SAT radio, no AUX.