R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

New R=Class Owner Here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up New R=Class Owner Here!

I joined the R club this past weekend! My mechanic called me a few days ago about a long-term customer looking to sell his R350. 2008, 95k miles, 4matic, silver/tan, pano roof, entertainment package, roof/bike rack, and well maintained. I really wanted a black/black with the AMG styling kit but given the price and condition I couldn't pass it up. The first R-class I test drove was purchased by an older couple looking for a 7 seater to haul their grandkids. The seller of this one purchased it 4 years ago for the same purpose but their grandkids have now grown up. Am I seeing a trend here?

I used to own a GLK350 for a number of years and have been driving another family member's GLK on loaner while car shopping. The R350 feels like a heavier LWB version of the GLK. Contrary to most people's opinion of the GLK, I personally loved mine in almost every way except the lack of legroom in the rear. Due to my height and knee problems, I have the driver's seat all the way back in the lowest position which meant not even a child could sit behind me, it was essentially a 2 passenger car. No problem with rear legroom in the R, my nephews are well over 6' and were more comfortable riding in the back of the R than their moms Range Rover Sport. One very slight (and surprising) complaint is that the GLK had an extra 1"-2" of legroom in the driver's position.

Has anyone ever tried to set the driver's seat track back an inch or 2?

My to-do list
  • Install aux cord - there's an older 30 pin style iPhone connector in the glovebox but I could not find a regular aux cord to hook up my phone for music/gps, did I miss it?
  • Basic paint correction
  • Polish headlights
  • Brighter headlight bulbs, suggestions?
  • Has cheap floor mats that don't go well with the tan interior. Any suggestions on a nice set? I saw a link for 3D mats in a recent posting but on their site it says they have mats for R's with bucket seats in the 2nd row only. They look nice but $267 shipped. Weathertech is ~$150
  • Suggestions for a trunk mat?
  • Missing cargo cover but no biggie
  • 20"+ AMG wheels when the current rubber wears out
The following users liked this post:
scoutman (04-08-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by TonyA
I joined the R club this past weekend! My mechanic called me a few days ago about a long-term customer looking to sell his R350. 2008, 95k miles, 4matic, silver/tan, pano roof, entertainment package, roof/bike rack, and well maintained. I really wanted a black/black with the AMG styling kit but given the price and condition I couldn't pass it up. The first R-class I test drove was purchased by an older couple looking for a 7 seater to haul their grandkids. The seller of this one purchased it 4 years ago for the same purpose but their grandkids have now grown up. Am I seeing a trend here?

I used to own a GLK350 for a number of years and have been driving another family member's GLK on loaner while car shopping. The R350 feels like a heavier LWB version of the GLK. Contrary to most people's opinion of the GLK, I personally loved mine in almost every way except the lack of legroom in the rear. Due to my height and knee problems, I have the driver's seat all the way back in the lowest position which meant not even a child could sit behind me, it was essentially a 2 passenger car. No problem with rear legroom in the R, my nephews are well over 6' and were more comfortable riding in the back of the R than their moms Range Rover Sport. One very slight (and surprising) complaint is that the GLK had an extra 1"-2" of legroom in the driver's position.

My to-do list
  • Install aux cord - there's an older 30 pin style iPhone connector in the glovebox but I could not find a regular aux cord to hook up my phone for music/gps, did I miss it?
  • Basic paint correction
  • Polish headlights
  • Has cheap floor mats that don't go well with the tan interior. Any suggestions on a nice set? I saw a link for 3D mats in a recent posting but on their site it says they have mats for R's with bucket seats in the 2nd row only. They look nice but $267 shipped. Weathertech is ~$150
For Bluetooth audio look up coolstream carpro for hooking up to the 30 pin iPod connection to stream Bluetooth music to command system.

Amazon sells the chemical guys paint correction kit. It's a really good kit. You can use the same Polish compound for th headlights with the torx orbital buffer.

If you don't have xenon hid headlights, check with Azn optics for the retrofit hid kit. Very popular.

I like the 3d maxpider mats. Check fitment on their website 3dmatsusa.com and plug the part number into Google or amazon for better pricing.

I think the mb trunk mat is the best.

Usarim.com for reliable replica mb rims for that 20" upgrade.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,819 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Congratulations! Please post a photo of the new R.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kombifan
For Bluetooth audio look up coolstream carpro for hooking up to the 30 pin iPod connection to stream Bluetooth music to command system.

Amazon sells the chemical guys paint correction kit. It's a really good kit. You can use the same Polish compound for th headlights with the torx orbital buffer.

If you don't have xenon hid headlights, check with Azn optics for the retrofit hid kit. Very popular.

I like the 3d maxpider mats. Check fitment on their website 3dmatsusa.com and plug the part number into Google or amazon for better pricing.

I think the mb trunk mat is the best.

Usarim.com for reliable replica mb rims for that 20" upgrade.
Great reply, thank you for commenting!

I received the carpro device off Amazon a few days ago, works as advertised

For paint correction/headlight polish, I'm going to hire a pro to do it. I don't have the equipment, time, or desire

I just ordered the AZN optics kit today, $180 shipped including 2 bulbs for the front parking lights. Looks simple to hook-up, I'll post some before/after photos

3d mats look good, at least on my computer screen. I like that they are durable and don't have that rubber Weathertech rugged look, flows better with the interior. At first, $250 ($220 on fleabay) for floor mats seemed expensive but after looking around at other reputable manufacturers offering "fitted" mats it's more or less the same price. However, they only have a set available for R's with bucket seats and I have a 3-seat configuration in the 2nd row. I'll call them next week if they can cut a mat for the second row that covers the "bump". The trunk mat is not available on their website but I see it on fleabay for $119 https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Antic-Sk...IAAOSwal5YD5-H. I am using a $15 padded moving mat to cover the trunk cargo area for now, I'm not as concerned with the look just protection from my signs that I transport for work and my fathers wheelchair on occasion.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Nice!
Glad it's working out!

Here's thd oem mb mats. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...-/382543651802

Cargo cover.
https://www.mbwholesalepartsonline.c...damia-67660011

Way too pricey....but perhaps on eBay?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Yeah its surprising how the cargo covers go missing. I am on my second R and both did not have the CC. As if owners leave them at home when they sell.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350
Originally Posted by efzauner
Yeah its surprising how the cargo covers go missing. I am on my second R and both did not have the CC. As if owners leave them at home when they sell.
I am also a new R class owner. Coming from a 2014 BMW wagon, I feel the cargo cover gets in the way when not in use. That rod going across is most annoying when stacking tall bags.

I do see there are hooks for a cargo mat and mine didn't come with one. Those are handy.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Aux

Originally Posted by TonyA

My to-do list
  • Basic paint correction
  • Polish headlights
Aux is in the GloveBox ..right side should be a oddlooking hole ,..looks like a button..thats where a 6-8 Foot aux cable should go..to reach the middle area