R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Oil change question for BlueTec diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 Bluetec
Oil change question for BlueTec diesel

Hello all! I have a general question on a diesel oil change. I just purchased a low mileage 2011 R350 Bluetec and did my first oil change last weekend. Once I completed the oil change, I drove the car for a while and checked the oil level. I noticed that the oil was already black. Is this normal for a diesel engine? This is my first diesel so it kind of surprised me. I'm planning on driving the car for ~3000 miles and then change it again, kind-a-like washing it out internally. Would appreciate any comments on what to expect with diesel oil. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
Diesel compression combustion has more unburnt fuel molecules left over - soot .

Up to 50% of exhaust gasses get recycled causing more incomplete combustion due to less oxygen .

The soot gets in the oil .

Only way for it to be clean is change it again and every 6 months as I do , I don't do many miles either .

No black oil in my diesels !
The following users liked this post:
ttmatoy3108 (12-20-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 01:48 PM

R350 Bluetec
Thank you for your reply Gazwould! I'm curious how many miles were on that pic? My oil is black. I'll need to wash it out a couple times to get it to look like yours. Be well.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:12 PM

R350 Bluetec
Hey Gazwould! Do I have to use an ESP oil in the diesel or do I have options? I'm using the Mobil1 ESP right now, but it's expensive. I'm in the southeast so I don't have to worry about long stretches of cold weather. Thoughts??
Old 01-30-2021, 02:52 PM

Received 69 Likes on 62 Posts
W213 All-terrain
Originally Posted by Sean Duffy
Hello all! I have a general question on a diesel oil change. I just purchased a low mileage 2011 R350 Bluetec and did my first oil change last weekend. Once I completed the oil change, I drove the car for a while and checked the oil level. I noticed that the oil was already black. Is this normal for a diesel engine? This is my first diesel so it kind of surprised me. I'm planning on driving the car for ~3000 miles and then change it again, kind-a-like washing it out internally. Would appreciate any comments on what to expect with diesel oil. Thank you.

As the lubrication characteristic is no more important, as all oils can lubricate and can resist to high temperature, premium brands use premium oils for keeping the engine clean and cool. Bluetec Diesel's use 229.52 oil specification and the original MB oil for this is based on Petronas.

So, if the oil become black very fast, this could be because is a good cleaner.

Here in EU, we use mostly Diesel and the maintenance according to vehicle Assyst,, assure minimum 450K km of prefect engine life.

Last edited by trigital; 01-30-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:42 PM

S204 C250 CDI Sport
229.51 is OK , 229.52 same but better on fuel economy but I run higher protection VW 507.00 from a supermarket !!

Because...
"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, Meijer, AutoZone, etc.) and buy a 5W/30 (or any other grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and the price. Don’t believe us? Try running your own experiment: do a sample on Oil A after a known number of miles, then do a sample on Oil B and compare the wear levels. You may see a little fluctuation, but it’s very rare for one oil to make a significant difference in an engine’s wear patterns."

Which Oil to Use? | Blackstone Laboratories

www.blackstone-labs.com

"Oil Specifications All modern oils are manufactured to meet certain standardised European/US or vehicle manufacturers specifications, you'll see them listed on the bottles. For example ACEA C3 or VW: 504.00 / 507.00. If a cheaper, non-branded oil carries a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec on the bottle then that means it is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. The same goes for a more expensive, branded oil which carries the VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. It also is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires that spec. But no more and no less. To achieve a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec an oil must be made up of a predetermined set of ingredients (additives) and it is the same set of ingredients regardless of the brand or price point. With both oils your warranty will be intact and your engine will not know the difference between the two."

D'ya Know What Really Grinds My Gears... A Rant About Which Engine Oil Is Best | MicksGarage

Unbeatable Prices at MicksGarage.com the largest online range of Car Parts, Car Accessories, Roof Racks, Tools, Car Care, Travel, Tech, Gardening, Top Brands and much, much more! Unbeatable Prices. Free Delivery Available. Hassle Free Returns.
www.micksgarage.com

So there we have it , big brand , big price , same quality because of the eye watering costs of gaining manufacturer approvals , R&D , advertising , sponsorship etc . Castrol are clever doing their 4L marketing and amongst those who say all sorts on the packaging that ordinary oils do and contain anyway except the average Joe doesn't know that .

Supermarket oil etc , buys industry standards oil basestocks and additive package ingredients from the big boys and blends to a set recipe , there is no short cut with 504.00 507.00 because it's so high in performance profile .

So Asda oil shares the same blender as Sainsbury's , Tesco , G-Force , Carlube Triple R , Euro Car Parts Triple QX and possibly Halfords !

If there's ever an issue we have VLS .

VLS - Verification of Lubrication Specifications

Verification of Lubrication Specifications is an independent organisation providing a credible and trusted means to verify lubricant specifications.
ukla-vls.org.uk
​​​​​​
Old 01-30-2021, 05:46 PM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
um er
read this
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Change your oil every 5K Miles and be happy. I will never buy another mercedes diesel. The bottom line is that there is lots of pressure for long oil change intervals but the diesel is so harsh that it should be changed twice as often The reason many have oil cooler leak problems is the oil gets so thin...
Old 02-05-2021, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
This is 100% normal.

I purchased my diesel GL new—same engine—and the oil remained golden for maybe the first 500 miles. That was the only time I’d ever seen this is any Diesel engine. It’s been black since ... 85k miles and almost 14 years. It’s apples/oranges compared to gasoline engines ... not comparable.

Don’t worry, be happy.

PS no matter the engine, the expectation that oil color indicates anything about oil condition is false.

Last edited by lkchris; 02-05-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:04 AM

S204 C250 CDI Sport
Originally Posted by efzauner
um er
read this
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Change your oil every 5K Miles and be happy. I will never buy another mercedes diesel. The bottom line is that there is lots of pressure for long oil change intervals but the diesel is so harsh that it should be changed twice as often The reason many have oil cooler leak problems is the oil gets so thin...

Nice article , he's not wrong stop using MB just group 3 oil , the 229.52 is all about fuel economy .

As I said earlier I don't use MB spec oil in my OM651, I use VW 507.00 which is groups 3 , 4 and 5 .

You can get some oils which are both VW & MB spec etc , so best of both worlds .

​​​