R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Brake booster recall parts updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 08:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320, 2002 E320
Brake booster recall parts updates?

My 2008 R320 failed all three tests associated with the 2022 brake booster recall and has been awaiting repair for over a month. Dealer says they have boosters in stock but are on a "parts hold". Does anyone have any insight on what this term means, and what is happening with replacement parts for this recall in general? Is the plan to use the OEM parts but they need to be assessed for suitability first after removing the bushing, or is a new part being designed or fabricated? Anyone on the inside have any updates on when we might see parts released for this problem? Has anyone contacted NHTSA saying that the issue hasn't been remedied "within a reasonable amount of time", per the guidance in the recall notice from MB? I'm not sure what this would accomplish.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Dealers don't know, so nobody here knows either.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:26 PM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Dealers don't know, so nobody here knows either.
Okay I can live with that (and stop calling MB Recalls and the dealer) if that's the consensus as of today. Didn't know if anyone has seen or heard of a repair yet for any R, GL, or ML on this. It seemed pretty quiet on the boards about this.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 E350 coupe, 06 R500, 10 E350, 99 C43AMG, 95 E320, 83 300D turbodiesel, 83 380SL
I received notice of the recall with instructions to call a Mercedes toll free number for information and where to take my car.. After calling that number, I was told the car would need to be towed to the dealer of my choice, or that the dealer would set a time to come to my home to inspect the car before I could drive it to the dealers location. I called my local dealer and they set up an appointment to take care of the recall. The appointment was for two weeks later, August 25th, and that driving the car was okay. They said the inspection would take about 2 hours, which it did. My car was deemed safe as no corrosion was found and no additional work was necessary.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
I got the letter for my 06 R500. I have an appointment in a couple weeks. So far my car brakes fine.. I'll have to see what they find.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 AM

W164 ML280 2006
Regarding this STOP DRIVE (Brake Booster) recall for my ML280, 2006 I was in France when I received the information via a friend who checked my UK mail for me. After calling the number on the letter and explaining I was in France I was expressly told when I called the customer service number provided that I should not drive the car as it would effect my insurance if I had an accident. I proceeded to call the local Dealer in Angouleme France who at first said the car would have to be taken back to the UK to be dealt with.and this started a 10 days of horror with no car and I was constantly on the phone with MB as they had promised a courtesy car but that did not happen as we were out in the sticks so to speak we were left high and dry and were told by them that they did not have a process in place for dealing with these circumstances. Has anyone else had any experience of being abroad when told of the recall.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:24 AM

13 E350 coupe, 06 R500, 10 E350, 99 C43AMG, 95 E320, 83 300D turbodiesel, 83 380SL
This is just my opinion, but a recall is a recall and not a dealership specific situation. It is required that Mercedes inspect your car for the recall and make the necessary repairs. Not all recalls result in repairs being necessary. Mine did not require further work after the inspection. My dealer told me it was okay to drive the car until my appointment two weeks later. In your situation I would go for having the local dealer in France inspecting the car as soon as possible. They can tell you the wait time, and if work is required they should do the repairs.

In my situation I did not have any brake concerns before knowing of the recall. Had I called my dealership originally, I would not have had any idea or reason to have the car towed to the service department. My dealership service department informed me that my booster was not enclosed in a rubber boot and those that are seem to have the corrosion problems, but that they had done a full inspection of the system regardless. They also seemed to know by vin number that the likelihood of my car needing repairs was pretty low.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:11 AM

W164 ML280 2006
Originally Posted by Minibenz
This is just my opinion, but a recall is a recall and not a dealership specific situation. It is required that Mercedes inspect your car for the recall and make the necessary repairs. Not all recalls result in repairs being necessary. Mine did not require further work after the inspection. My dealer told me it was okay to drive the car until my appointment two weeks later. In your situation I would go for having the local dealer in France inspecting the car as soon as possible. They can tell you the wait time, and if work is required they should do the repairs.

In my situation I did not have any brake concerns before knowing of the recall. Had I called my dealership originally, I would not have had any idea or reason to have the car towed to the service department. My dealership service department informed me that my booster was not enclosed in a rubber boot and those that are seem to have the corrosion problems, but that they had done a full inspection of the system regardless. They also seemed to know by vin number that the likelihood of my car needing repairs was pretty low.
Hi Minibenz.
Firstly, Just to be clear for other members There are 4 tyes of Recall listed in the DVSA website.

See Photo- Types of Recall.jpg

Types of Recall

Secondly, Dealers do not have the authority to overule the (Stop Drive) Until after the defect has
been checked and repaired/replaced. Failing to comply with a (Stop Drive) Safety recall "Once you are aware of it" means you are responsible for driving a vehicle that should not be driven. therefore your car insurance company may hold you responsible. and a third parties insurance most certainly will.

The ten days of horror I refered to was me calling the customer services team, who were in contact with the international team, who were in contact with the French Dealer.

You are correct about the rubber boot being the problem as apparently those fitted with a rubber boot could have condensation form inside and this lead in some cases to corrosion.
After discovering this was the issue I forwarded them a photo of my booster and the Part number thinking we could discover if my vehicle was effected. but they refused to comment on what vehicles were effected or discuss likely part numbers.

I was also promised that they would update my system while it was in for inspection but fearing future costly problems if they interfered I put a condition on that update that if following the update I had any issues within a given period they would rectify them F.O.C. They did not enter into that agreement and reported that no update was carried out.
Ny reason for that request was I had found information online that mercedes would take advantage of the opportunity to address other issues that were nothing to do with the brake booster. so I did not want them creating problems for me as Dealer Star checks can be very costly.

The Main reason for my post was to Ask if any members were abroad when a recall was put in place and how did MB handle that.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:06 AM

Okay thanks. I am beginning to understand.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:21 AM

CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by CDC55AMG
I got the letter for my 06 R500. I have an appointment in a couple weeks. So far my car brakes fine.. I'll have to see what they find.
My R500 failed the booster output test. So I am in a rental car till parts come in which may not be till December then after the booster replacement the dealer will test again and check for fluid leaks at ant line or hose and if they fail will be covered under the recall too.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by CDC55AMG
My R500 failed the booster output test. So I am in a rental car till parts come in which may not be till December then after the booster replacement the dealer will test again and check for fluid leaks at ant line or hose and if they fail will be covered under the recall too.
Is MB paying for the rental? And who drives a 2006 R-class as a one and only daily driver?
Old 10-02-2022, 01:20 AM

CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Is MB paying for the rental? And who drives a 2006 R-class as a one and only daily driver?
MB is paying for a rental with Enterprise.
I do drive my R500 as daily driver has 170k on it. Runs very well despite a thirst for fuel. I have a CLS55 AMG too but do not drive it as a daily or in winter.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:45 PM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
Figured I would update - picked up my R320 today, brake booster recall service completed. I guess the parts are now available and released.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by doctorroboto
Figured I would update - picked up my R320 today, brake booster recall service completed. I guess the parts are now available and released.
What did they do to fix it?
Old 11-04-2022, 07:52 AM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
Installed the new part, brake fluid flush, went over the rest of the brake system. I have a work order that says 251-430-00-00, that's probably not the part, but apparently the new parts are in stock. I coincidentally got an updated recall notice from MB saying that replacement parts are available for "Category 3" vehicles only, which I assume is the ones that failed all the tests like mine did.

I can see if I can read the full part number on the replacement booster, but it's in there pretty good. Looks like the lines to the booster might be partially replaced as well.

They also made sure the car was in good shape when I picked it up after sitting there for 3 months..
Old 11-04-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350
Brake booster

Well my 2011R350 was in the shop when the dealers got notified and they did the test before they even finished the job it was in for(suspension strut replacement, so it still needs an alignment... that was in mid March. I managed with my vehicle for a month and found out because of the recall I could get a rental suppled by MB. Got that at the beginning of May, i went to the dealer to see what condition my vehicle is being stored in, I didn't see it but I can just imagine she's not washed and cared for like I would be doing. I was told they just had meetings and the parts are on their way, there are 6 vehicles there and I also mentioned that I was concerned about water vapour in the diesel fuel, battery issues since it hasn't been started for over 7 months. I was told they did a review of vehicle conditions before the stop driving order was in place and it will be "looked after for all my concerns." I followed up with an email to the dealer and to MBCanada also. So I have also technically lost over 35%(in time) of my extended warranty as well not to mention insurance and license costs.
to say I'm concerned is a massive understatement! It's Nov4, here's hoping I get Shady back before Christmas.

Originally Posted by doctorroboto
My 2008 R320 failed all three tests associated with the 2022 brake booster recall and has been awaiting repair for over a month. Dealer says they have boosters in stock but are on a "parts hold". Does anyone have any insight on what this term means, and what is happening with replacement parts for this recall in general? Is the plan to use the OEM parts but they need to be assessed for suitability first after removing the bushing, or is a new part being designed or fabricated? Anyone on the inside have any updates on when we might see parts released for this problem? Has anyone contacted NHTSA saying that the issue hasn't been remedied "within a reasonable amount of time", per the guidance in the recall notice from MB? I'm not sure what this would accomplish.

2011 R350 bought Sept 2021

Last edited by Elizabeth Scott; 11-04-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:40 PM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
That looks just like mine! Possibly better looked after than mine. I will say that the dealer will likely take care of you and make sure the vehicle is in decent shape when returned to you. If the vehicle failed the tests, they should have the parts now or soon, so I'm sure the repair is imminent. They want your car off the lot as badly as you want it back.
The following users liked this post:
Elizabeth Scott (11-04-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 R500, 2017 GLE43
Just had mine completed 5 minutes ago on 2006 R500 42k miles. Mercedes sent service man to my house, took about 30 minutes for diagnostic through OBD and said it passed

Old 11-23-2022, 01:11 PM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
You "kind of" passed. I think this was one of the three options I read about in the initial recall notice - you can pass fully and nothing is needed, you can fail fully (which was what happened to mine), and you pass for now but they defer decision/action for another 2 years. It looks like yours is deferred for 2 years.