R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

New member- R500 suspension riding low and multiple codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 Mercedes Benz
New member- R500 suspension riding low and multiple codes

Hello all. Glad to be here and hope someone can help. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong thread.
i have been on several MB forums with no replies to my issues and am at my witts end. I really hope someone can help, and that this helps others with similar issues.

i recently bought my first mercedes two months ago. A 2006 R500 non-Airmatic.

here are my symptoms;

1-the vehicle is a 4 matic with the rear air suspension only. It is currently riding low on both sides and I get the red warning of vehicle too low. The compressor will not activate.

2-i had the vehicle diagnosed as the engine light is on and it came up with hundres of fault codes.

3-there is a clicking noise in the front when you turn right.

4-there is a very slight vibration that occurs when accelerating between 50-55 kms/hr. It does not happen all the time.

5-the stereo works but I cannot adjust the time or pair a phone.(does not even give the option.)

here is what I have done so far and my suspected issues;

suspension- i have so far replaced the compressor, replaced both rear height sensors, replaced both Rear air bags, checked and replaced all fuses and relays for the suspension, and checked for voltage. Brought it to an authorized mechanic to troubleshoot and Everything checks out fine. Something else is preventing the compressor from actuating somewhere in the system.

Fault Codes - brought to authorized mechanic for diagnostic and came up with fault codes for just about every system from every light, electric seats, steering column, power windows, etc. however, and the mechanic confirmed that all systems are working fine regardless of codes.

Clicking Noise in front end when turning - happens only when turning right at low speeds. I suspected a wheel bearing or CV joint however, The authorized mechanic inspected and could not find anything wrong. He suggested it could be related to the low suspension.

Vibration when accelerating - this only happens between 50-55 kms/hour when accelerating and only happens from time to time. Again, i suspected a wheel bearing would cause this but again, mechanic inspected and bearings look good. He also suggested this could be related to suspension.

stereo - works great for music. However cannot adjust clock, pair phone, or use the navigation. Unfortunately this is only something that has to be fixed at MB dealer for a code reset so I am told.

Suspected main causes;

After a lot of time and money invested so far, and finally bringing it to an authorized Import mechanic (Recommended by Mercedes as they were booked up for months), his conclusion was that my rear SAM module could be the issue for ALL of my headaches. Unfortunately they did not have the proper tools to fix. It may also very likely be the cause for the compressor not working causing my suspension to be low. He suggested I remove it and check for corrosion and continuity. So I removed it and sent it to an electrician to check for resistance, continuity, and voltage. All was checked fine. But he was not an IT tech so suggested bringing it to Mercedes to reprogram the SAM. So I am now at my wits end with this.
My take on this is, at some point the previous owner did something that messed up the programming or may have replaced the SAM module at some point without programming or resetting the codes. This is the only thing that makes sense to me as I called and checked with the Mercedes dealer the history with the VIN from and it was on their records as only being in a year ago for some maintenance and was working completely fine. So My guess is that the previous owner did some work to this on his own, started having these issues, and sold the vehicle as is, without resetting the Codes and programming the SAM. So my question is, would a SAM module cause all these headaches?
i am thousands of dollars into this and no further ahead. I have tried asking on several forums and got no replies. My next step, is to brong it to Mercedes to get the SAM module programmed and codes reset. I am hoping this will finally fix my issues but would like to get some input before I further commit financially. This has become a nightmare. Can anyone offer any other suggestions before I spend more money to try and eliminate all possible solutions.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by DlCE; 11-30-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 777 Likes on 756 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W251 forum...
Old 12-05-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB R-350
Probably not what you want to hear, but if it were me I would move off it and cut my losses. Sounds like a lemon
Old 12-07-2022, 01:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 R500, 2017 GLE43
Regarding the clicking noise while turning right... What size rims/tires do you have? It may be the tire rubbing the inner plastic wheel well while the suspension is riding low. You can visually inspect by turning the wheel all the way to the right and see if you notice any rub marks on the plastic inner well piece. That's what mine was doing with 19x8.5 rims with 275 55 19 tires
Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
From your description is is unclear if you have already brought it to MB dealer to check the SAM? You say "authorized" mechanic, but it is unclear if this is a fully equipped MD dealer.
Have you checked your alternator? when the regulator is bad, it can cause overvoltage and the various SAMS on the bus shut down or act oddly. Happened to me, lots of fault symptoms... that went away if I charged the battery but came back once I started the car.
As for cell phone, you need the cell phone blue tooth "puck" in the armrest. Is it there?