R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

2 R63's for sale on Cars.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
2 R63's for sale on Cars.com

just noticed these on cars.com

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/me...102&trId=24759
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Wow that's certainly interesting. The one for sale in Washington was a forum member from here: rbtmak: https://mbworld.org/forums/members/133558-rbtmak.html. It's a Canadian spec car and I highly recommend that you contact him so he can give you the full details of his car before he got rid of it.

Hmm, why trade in the R63 for a Lexus? Sounds like quite a downgrade to me.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55
Maybe he bought a lfa? That's an upgrade
Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 559EVO
Maybe he bought a lfa? That's an upgrade
Touche.

BTW something weird going on with the Obsidian Black one at Lexus. You can see the rear exhaust is damaged and looks like possible scrape on rear bumper.

Also the rear seat entertainment has been moved from the front seats to the second row seats. In place of the front seats, they installed an aftermarket DVD unit that replaces the headrests (ugly and non matching non nappa leather). Not a fan of the radar install either which is ugly where the unit sits and they drilled into the dummy switch on the switch row next to the heated seats.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
Wow - two for sale at the same time. I wonder how long these will last. I will be curious to track that.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
Was looking to replace my CL600, and I saw this R63 at the Lexus dealer. I also noticed the same things with the monitors etc. I am surprised they didn't try to straighten the exhaust/exhaust tip and refurbish the bumper for the "front-line" price they are asking. What difference does a Canadian spec over a US spec? Has anyone had success in getting a quality extended warranty for a used AMG product such as this?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 300SDLguy
Was looking to replace my CL600, and I saw this R63 at the Lexus dealer. I also noticed the same things with the monitors etc. I am surprised they didn't try to straighten the exhaust/exhaust tip and refurbish the bumper for the "front-line" price they are asking. What difference does a Canadian spec over a US spec? Has anyone had success in getting a quality extended warranty for a used AMG product such as this?
Canadian spec isn't as well equipped as most US versions (more things are optional). That particular car lacks Ditronic. Also the owner of the car is a member on this forum and I highly urge you to PM him if you're interested in that car because he's got a lot of knowledge about that car that any buyer should know beforehand that the Carfax doesn't show- his username is rbtkmak.

To answer your question, the main differences is that it's got daytime running lights (might be able to be cancelled through star), the speedo goes up to something like 320km instead of the US version which goes up to 200mph, and all climate control dials are in Celsius. The km speedos can easily be programmed to mph, but your needle won't be in the same proportion as US dials since the US goes up to 200mph and when you convert the km version it's essentially going up to 320mph so your needle will be quite low.

There is a third one for sale now in California but talk about another high mileage car.

I bought an extended warranty for mine this past June and I purchased the car at the end of April. I got the warranty from Mercedes-Benz of Seattle who used National Warranty. I get 4 extra years and coverage for an additional 50k miles. My car had about 48k miles when I purchased the warranty and all the dealer did was perform an inspection and bill me for the warranty. I like my coverage so far, they've already paid for $2k in repairs shortly after I got the warranty without much hassle. The dealer does all the talking with the warranty company and the warranty pays for the repairs directly so there's no added hassle in my case with reimbursement etc. I also don't have a deductible which is quite handy.

R63s are getting on the older side so time is starting to run out on eligibility for adding a warranty to these cars- I wouldn't be surprised if you're denied as these cars are 5 years old now.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I have Fidelity Service contracts on both my S600 and CL600 and both have paid for themselves. I wouldn't have a MBZ, especially any S-Class, and/or an AMG without either an existing factory warranty or a GOOD service contract.

The R63 at the Lexus dealership in IL, looks to have Distronic, as it has a Distronic grill, but I can't really see the cruise control stalk to verify.

I am thinking maybe I am better off getting a VERY well equipped R500, and doing the mods you have done plus, some ECU TCU mods etc.

I too love all the extra features you can equip your vehicle with, nicer if it was optioned/equipped that way from the factory, but for whatever reason the powers-at-be arbitrarily decide how a US spec can and can't be equipped makes little sense IMHO, and things have to be added. I'd get an E63 Wagon if they were available with 4matic like the R63.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't waste your time with the R500. After combing through 100+ listings about a month ago, I finally found an [almost] full option R500- but it's still just got that old 5.0L V8 3 valve per cylinder engine. If you've got the option to go AMG, the extra 200 ponies are very welcome. An ECU on the old 500 engine only nets like 10-15 extra hp (most likely unnoticeable). The other thing I like about the R63s that come up for sale is that they generally are full option or very near full option. They seem to pop up quite often- just wait for one with the right mileage/ condition. Something to look out for, though, is that almost all R63s that I've seen come to market have been modified in some way (in a bad way). This Indiana one has some weird television sets and IMO a sloppy radar install, one on the East Coast two months back had some ugly aftermarket rear entertainment, and mine has some frankensteined stereo equipment and a shoddy radar install as well- it's very hard to find a bone stock "virgin" R63 but they do come up once in a while.

The Indiana and California cars are full option vehicles which includes Distronic (I checked their VINs to see what equipment they have). All R63s (US Spec) that have keyless go also have Distronic as they're both part of the Premium III package (easy way to tell if you're limited by the photos posted).

Yes MBUSA really annoys me with the lack of certain options in the US market- such as in my case adding the ventilated front seats and second and third row shades. I'd love an S Class with rear fridge from the factory but alas we must do the retrofit ourselves later on.

Do you have any pictures of your S600 Lorinser? Your sig pic appears to still show the stock kit. BTW love that both of your cars are Designo!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
the black one looks beat and high miles
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM

I didn't realize that the ECU upgrade would offer such little HP improvement. It was a HUGE improvement on the S600. Guess I'd have to go with a supercharger or something. There is a clean, EVERY option, 2007 R500 near me for around $22K with 60K miles.

Thanks, I have enjoyed them, nothing is quite like the V12's. In my avatar I have a pic of the S600 after the conversion, I think I added a pic to my album, will have to check. On the exterior, I opted for oem AMG bumpers, to keep the look more subtle, but it does have the Lorinser fenders, side skirts, window & trunk spoilers. I didn't do anything with the exhaust because I didn't want ANY issues with warranty coverage, as none of the MBZ dealers in Pittsburgh do or know anything about Tuning.

I've seen a few refrigerators on eBay for the W220's, and I have thought about getting one, but I don't often use the S600 for travel, hence it only has 30K miles.

I really like your WALD front bumper and how it looks on your R63. If I replace the S600 with a W221 S600, I do the WALD body kit, unless I got the S65, then I'd probably keep it stock bumper wise, maybe do the front fenders.

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 11-13-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The reason the tune is so effective on your 600 is because the boost for the turbo is adjusted. Turbo cars are insanely easy to tune- that's why the new 450 engines can be tuned to have more power than the 63 engines stock- and the 63 twin turbos can be tuned to have more power than the 65s.

Love that there's a full option R500. I hate the term "fully loaded" and it doesn't have every option. That term gets thrown around way too often. But in due time an R63 will pop up. Since getting mine in April, there have been 6 for sale (including these three now). The absolute cleanest one for sale was the one on this forum in Barolo Red with ~40k miles and was a virgin stock one. Owner was very open, concise, and provided excellent photos. Wish I dealt with him as that car just seemed to be near mint. The five other ones all have something undesirable such as high mileage or odd mods or accidents.

I've always loved Lorinser fenders! I hardly see them here in Seattle. While the Wald bumpers look cool, I am not really a big fan of them. They're fiberglass and thus fragile, very expensive, and take forever to get from Japan (if no place in the US has them in stock). So for a W221 I may lean more towards Lorinser, but the Wald does look sick as well (although the rear bumper is a tad overdone for me). If I got an S65 I'd also keep the bumpers as is and likely do fenders, diffuser, lip, and maybe wing(s).

Most exhaust mods should be OK but it just depends how good of a relationship you have with your dealer. Some dealers are just clueless and will say that license plate frame voids your warranty (well not really but you get my point).

Originally Posted by 300SDLguy
I didn't realize that the ECU upgrade would offer such little HP improvement. It was a HUGE improvement on the S600. Guess I'd have to go with a supercharger or something. There is a clean, EVERY option, 2007 R500 near me for around $22K with 60K miles.

Thanks, I have enjoyed them, nothing is quite like the V12's. In my avatar I have a pic of the S600 after the conversion, I think I added a pic to my album, will have to check. On the exterior, I opted for oem AMG bumpers, to keep the look more subtle, but it does have the Lorinser fenders, side skirts, window & trunk spoilers. I didn't do anything with the exhaust because I didn't want ANY issues with warranty coverage, as none of the MBZ dealers in Pittsburgh do or know anything about Tuning.

I've seen a few refrigerators on eBay for the W220's, and I have thought about getting one, but I don't often use the S600 for travel, hence it only has 30K miles.

I really like your WALD front bumper and how it looks on your R63. If I replace the S600 with a W221 S600, I do the WALD body kit, unless I got the S65, then I'd probably keep it stock bumper wise, maybe do the front fenders.