Potential Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Potential Buyer

Hey guys - curious how your experiences have been with the coupe ...

I am debating a purchase and doing some due diligence... Reliability ? Issues ?

Would be looking for something lightly used ... 2015 or 2016 ...

Stunning car ... Would look very nice in my driveway ...

Thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 PM

2015 S550 Coupe
I have 19,000 miles on a 2015. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth, fast and good looking. I have designo leather and it has made the interior gorgeous. I don't know another car that is as beautiful inside. It has been reliable other than one week it spent in the shop due to a faulty sensor giving a few false warnings.
Personally, I get itchy with cars after a couple of years and while this took longer than others, the itch has set in.
I miss a slightly smaller, tighter car that allows me to try and find the line, taking an off ramp at a bit of speed. To me, no one car can do it all. I enjoy this s550 coupe and a light weight sports car for weekends and nice weather.
It all depends on your wishes and budget.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 PM

NA
Thanks for the info.....

I have a 911 Turbo track/sunday car now (2009) and looking to get into something a bit more civilized to drive a few days a week... I have a Land Cruiser as a daily beater for work ..

Always admired the MB coupes ...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 PM

2015 S550 Coupe
Very nice. You got the idea. You'll then enjoy the coupe a lot.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
Need advice

Originally Posted by triplenet66
Hey guys - curious how your experiences have been with the coupe ...

I am debating a purchase and doing some due diligence... Reliability ? Issues ?

Would be looking for something lightly used ... 2015 or 2016 ...

Stunning car ... Would look very nice in my driveway ...

Thanks
Hi,

I'm also a potential buyer with a couple of questions. I'm looking at placing an order for a MY 17 S550.

Burmester vs Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound ? I really love the Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi, it was really worth the extra money. Is the High-End 3D system worth the extra 6K given the typical music sources, IPOD, XM radio, ...?

I have also read that the system takes up a considerable amount of trunk space, but haven't seen any specifics. How much space is used?

System sources: IPOD, CD, ... . What about flash card, onboard hard drive? Are all the sources controlled from the head unit?

No vehicles in the local area available for me to do a proper sound comparison.

This car will be my new daily driver so I'm looking mainly for a smooth quiet ride but I don't want to give up power. I've gotten accustomed to the power and ride quality in my Audi S8. Will I give up ride comfort if I decide to order an S63?

Thank You!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM

640i Gran Coupé
I'm also in the market. It's nice to see that no one has reported issues, but I'd like to see more comments from happy owners...
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
I have had my coupe almost 2 years after an EPD in October of 2015. I love the car and everybody at work wants to know who is driving it. 040 Black with grey designo interior and AMG package, black flowing lines wood. When it arrived in the US, the salesperson thought it was so striking, they showed it to the sales manager to order one for the floor.

10,000 miles and the only issue I had was the trim on the roof lifting a little, which they fixed quickly. It was the same trim issue I had on my 2014 S550 sedan.

My hearing is not very good so I never opt for the high end audio systems.

The only real complaint I might have are the run flats. I believe regular tires may give a smoother ride. I figure I may get another 5000 on these tires and then replace.

One caution, the car rides very low and the splitter in the front will impinge on steep driveways and deep dips in the road. It does have the higher ride button which will lift the car an inch or so if you think of it in time!

Overall, I would buy again. Thought about a convertible for fall delivery, but not really a soft top aficionado.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
I just dumped mine today. See my thread below. '15 matte white, designo saddle, burmeister, AMG, etc 49,000 miles, 4 sets of tires all wearing on the inside- had 3 flats from wear. Front aligned, then fr & rear, then fr & rear again. Only comfortable for 3000 miles before it started to vibrate at speed. Another nuisance was the Burmeister speaker in the driver door rattled as did the box for the HUD. You need to push these back into place to stop the rattles (probably the sequela of the vibrations).

Last week my wife told me to just get rid of it. And today I did. Traded the lemon in on a '17 Panamera Turbo. After 26 years and 11 MBs I'm not looking back. The cookie cutter Mercedes of today is not that of years past.

Pretty car but you just can't drive it hard or often. PM me for more details.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Panamera? Even Stevie Wonders says it's ugly!!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Originally Posted by BigHat
Panamera? Even Stevie Wonders says it's ugly!!

I'm not a poser. I drive a lot (120 mi/day at least 3 days per week). I need a car that is reliable, can be driven hard and on a regular basis. The S 550 creampuff is not capable of doing that.

The Panamera is faster, handles better and is more comfortable. Tracks down the road with that "solid" feel like the MBs of the 90's and '00s.

And it's reliable. (My wife drives a Cayenne GTS and I used my 911 as a daily for 3 years. No issues. Same for my Vanquish when I had a 50 mile daily commute.)

The S 550 Coupe is the last MB I will ever buy- after 11 and 26 years. The first car I ever bought was a '91 smoke silver 190E 2.6. I'll never forget driving past the Conoco building in the mid 90s when the CEO drove out of the parking lot with a brown 560 SEC. A dream realized in '15....which turned into a nightmare.

The S 550 is only car I've ever had to buy an air compressor to keep in the trunk as a necessity.

It is the only car I've ever just wanted to dump.

It's the only car I've ever had to dump because it was a dog.

It is the only car I've ever owned that never made it to 2 years (barely made it past 1 1/2).

And it's the only time my wife ever told me to go out and buy a new car!!!

Regardless, nobody finds the videos of my car vibrating very flattering.

No. Again, for the OP. You can do better. If you really like it, buy one for your wife I'm sure it can handle going to the grocery store.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:55 PM

'13 SL550
Don't think you're a poser at all.

Tough break on your car, but far from a common issue. Apparently, you're coping by trashing the car and MB in general.
If you like the Panamera, that's great. Good news is, when you're driving it, you don't see it.

Last edited by BigHat; 04-22-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 AM

Audi etron, E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ABWAP
I have 19,000 miles on a 2015. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth, fast and good looking. I have designo leather and it has made the interior gorgeous. I don't know another car that is as beautiful inside. It has been reliable other than one week it spent in the shop due to a faulty sensor giving a few false warnings.
Personally, I get itchy with cars after a couple of years and while this took longer than others, the itch has set in.
I miss a slightly smaller, tighter car that allows me to try and find the line, taking an off ramp at a bit of speed. To me, no one car can do it all. I enjoy this s550 coupe and a light weight sports car for weekends and nice weather.
It all depends on your wishes and budget.
Did you end up selling yours yet? I'm in the market for a used S550 Coupe ;-)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 AM

2015 S550 Coupe
No, I still have the S coupe. However, I did get a 718 S Boxster for nice days.