Warranty

Old 08-31-2018, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Warranty

I'm looking at an Edition 1, non CPO, with just a few months of factory warranty left. The seller is recommending Axiom as a good aftermarket warranty source. Anyone have any dealings with them?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
I believe if you buy it before the warranty expires, you can buy an extension to the existing Mercedes warranty. That’s what I was told when I bought my 2016 S550 and I will find out for sure next year.

Years ago I had a non-factory warranty and was very unhappy with it. It had deductibles for each and every occurrence, required non Mercedes parts to be used when available and had a number of exclusions that the factory warranty did not. Ultimately just ignored it because it was too big of a pain in the butt

Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300W4 Sport
If you're not getting Mercedes warranty, I'd definitely recommend using a company that has experience with this exact type of vehicle. Some are very blanket coverages, some are more specific with the make & model. I use Zurich and have been pleased with what I've gotten from them.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RonCL55
I believe if you buy it before the warranty expires, you can buy an extension to the existing Mercedes warranty. That’s what I was told when I bought my 2016 S550 and I will find out for sure next year.

Years ago I had a non-factory warranty and was very unhappy with it. It had deductibles for each and every occurrence, required non Mercedes parts to be used when available and had a number of exclusions that the factory warranty did not. Ultimately just ignored it because it was too big of a pain in the butt

Let us know what you find out.
I'm certain that you can't get an extended MB warranty unless you buy the car from an MB dealer. Whether or not it has to be a CPO, I'm not sure. Anyway the car I'm looking at is offered by an independent dealer so no MB extended warranty.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Banned

2016 C300W4 Sport
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I'm certain that you can't get an extended MB warranty unless you buy the car from an MB dealer. Whether or not it has to be a CPO, I'm not sure. Anyway the car I'm looking at is offered by an independent dealer so no MB extended warranty.
Actually that's not the case! If you buy a pre-owned vehicle from say, a Honda dealer, you'll still be eligible to purchase MB warranty, if the vehicle has warranty packages available. What's the VIN & mileage of the car you're looking at?
Old 08-31-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Southern_Benz
Actually that's not the case! If you buy a pre-owned vehicle from say, a Honda dealer, you'll still be eligible to purchase MB warranty, if the vehicle has warranty packages available. What's the VIN & mileage of the car you're looking at?
Hmmm...What I'm saying is what I've been told by 2 independent dealers, and MB also. Both of the independents sell a lot of MB's so I don't know why they wouldn't sell me the MB warranty since I mentioned to both that my main objection to purchase was that there was only a few months left on the orig. warranty. In fact, one if these dealers has some type of relationship with MB as he buys directly from them and he actually showed me the invoice from MB for the car.

Anyway, the car is a '15 S550 coupe, Edition 1, with 20k miles. I don't have the VIN handy. Thanks for your input and I hope you're right.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:17 PM
Banned

2016 C300W4 Sport
Hmmm...What I'm saying is what I've been told by 2 independent dealers, and MB also. Both of the independents sell a lot of MB's so I don't know why they wouldn't sell me the MB warranty since I mentioned to both that my main objection to purchase was that there was only a few months left on the orig. warranty. In fact, one if these dealers has some type of relationship with MB as he buys directly from them and he actually showed me the invoice from MB for the car.

Anyway, the car is a '15 S550 coupe, Edition 1, with 20k miles. I don't have the VIN handy. Thanks for your input and I hope you're right.
I think it's necessary to clarify for you...a non-MB dealer can sell you an MB car; a non-MB dealer cannot sell you an MB warranty; an MB dealer can sell you an MB warranty for an MB car, so long as the vehicle is within it's eligible coverage period, regardless of whether you purchased the car from that MB dealer or not.

An independent dealer can't sell you an MB warranty, even if there is one available. You'll have to work with an MB dealer to accomplish that.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, got it.Thanks... I'll check with MB to see what they offer.

Back to my original ?, do u know anything about Axiom, an independent warranty co.?
Old 08-31-2018, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
call dealers out of wpb, s fl. I know dealers in tpa will cpo cars. You have to have the inspection, bring the car to cpo standards then you can get 1 yr or 2 yr policy. There may be expenses, brakes, tires, a or b service
Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 PM

Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by Southern_Benz
I think it's necessary to clarify for you...a non-MB dealer can sell you an MB car; a non-MB dealer cannot sell you an MB warranty; an MB dealer can sell you an MB warranty for an MB car, so long as the vehicle is within it's eligible coverage period, regardless of whether you purchased the car from that MB dealer or not.

An independent dealer can't sell you an MB warranty, even if there is one available. You'll have to work with an MB dealer to accomplish that.

This is consistent with what I heard when I bought my car and I understand that it is NOT necessary to bring it to CPO standards to obtain the extended factory warranty. So the only conditions I am aware of are (1) your car is still within the factory warranty, (2) you buy the extended warranty from a MB dealer and (3) you are prepared to lay down some significant $. In terms of (3) I heard it was about $2k per year and you could have 1 or 2 years. I would love to know if this was the actual case.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they have to inspect the car and its about 22-2900 1yr or 4000 2yr
The following users liked this post:
RonCL55 (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spoke with a MB dealer regarding this issue and here's what I was told.

For a MB not purchased thru a MB dealer, the MB extended warranty can be purchased but the car must first be inspected by the MB dealer and receive the CPO designation. Here's how it's done.

1) The car obviously has to meet MB CPO requirements. It does not have to be under MB factory warranty,

2) (This is the big one) The car must go thru the MB dealers inventory. This means you would sell the car to the dealer and then they would sell it back to you with the CPO designation. It would then be eligible for the extended MB warranty.

For sure, the cost of this service could be quite high. This makes sense to me, though, as I'm sure MB dealers don't want MB's being brought to them after being purchased from non MB dealers wanting the extended MB warranty and the benefits there of. After all, the owners didn't invest in such businesses to sell warranties.

Remember guys, I'm just the messenger.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 09-01-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

never heard that, go to another dealer, not in s fl
The following users liked this post:
RonCL55 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 AM

Jud Chapin, i agree with okbarnett. Before I bought my S550 I checked the extended warranty issue with the local MB dealer. What you are talking about is the CPO warranty extension, not an extension of the original factory warranty. I just went back to the local dealer’s website and checked (I had originally talked to a person rather than looking at the website and when you talk to them in person there’s a little more detail provided—other than the actual cost, which they say has to be determined at the time). That said, here is the link:

https://www.fjmercedes.com/extended-...y-information/

Be sure sure to click on the “New Vehicle Extended Limited Extended Warranty” link, not the CPO link. Now I am not recommending this particular dealer since they are known for having the highest prices in the region, but it shows you that an extended factory warranty is available. There is allegedly “no complicated paperwork to process, no deductibles and no hassles”. All you need is lots of $.

Last edited by RonCL55; 09-02-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for your input, guys.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just spoke to another MB salesman who says if a MB is under factory warranty, MB will sell you an extended MB warranty. Perhaps MB dealers do as they choose.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 09-22-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 PM

Nice Jud, please let us know the details if you go down this path. I will be following shortly.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just talked to the MB extended warranty rep at MB Palm Beach. Hears how it works. Very basically, once a car is sold used by an MB dealer without it being "certified", it is no longer eligible for the MB extended warranty. (I see quite a few such cars here in S. FL. Dealers do it to keep the price down and stay competitive.) On certified cars, it is available. He said to be sure a car is eligible, he takes the VIN and gathers the car's history and if ok, he further verifies it with MB.

I also asked about having the dealer buy the car from you and then selling it back as I mentioned above. He said that's only if you want the car certified.

The problem I'm having finding a car (S550) here in S. FL is that dealers don't keep them and many just ended up going to auction. As indicated above, these cars are not eligible for the extended warranty. Right now I think there are only 3 S550's available at MB dealers in FL south of Daytona and just 2 are certified. There must be at least 20 MB dealers in this area. I see many independent dealers with a few but Carfax shows they got them from a dealer.

He said if a find one i want to buy to call him first to be sure the car is eligible for the MB extended warranty.

Another interesting fact he told me is that they use CNA when the MB warranty is not available. He said it's just as good. He also mentioned that you cannot get an independent company warranty on the AMG S 63.

One last thing. I read the MB extended warranty and I was surprised to see that shocks and struts were not covered. I had the extended warranty on my '02 CL500 and think the struts were covered.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 09-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
S550
Just talked to the MB extended warranty rep at MB Palm Beach. Hears how it works. Very basically, once a car is sold used by an MB dealer without it being "certified", it is no longer eligible for the MB extended warranty. (I see quite a few such cars here in S. FL. Dealers do it to keep the price down and stay competitive.) On certified cars, it is available. He said to be sure a car is eligible, he takes the VIN and gathers the car's history and if ok, he further verifies it with MB.

I also asked about having the dealer buy the car from you and then selling it back as I mentioned above. He said that's only if you want the car certified.

The problem I'm having finding a car (S550) here in S. FL is that dealers don't keep them and many just ended up going to auction. As indicated above, these cars are not eligible for the extended warranty. Right now I think there are only 3 S550's available at MB dealers in FL south of Daytona and just 2 are certified. There must be at least 20 MB dealers in this area. I see many independent dealers with a few but Carfax shows they got them from a dealer.

He said if a find one i want to buy to call him first to be sure the car is eligible for the MB extended warranty.

Another interesting fact he told me is that they use CNA when the MB warranty is not available. He said it's just as good. He also mentioned that you cannot get an independent company warranty on the AMG S 63.

One last thing. I read the MB extended warranty and I was surprised to see that shocks and struts were not covered. I had the extended warranty on my '02 CL500 and think the struts were covered.

Re-certifying a vehicle is costly and usually not worth the time, money, or effort required to get that done. The dealership would pass all the costs along to you, from stocking the vehicle in to certifying it and adding the warranty, even the fees that dealer charges each unit to cover admin costs. In most of those cases, you're better off buying an aftermarket warranty for the vehicle.

I've used CNA before, but my local dealer has since dropped them, citing poor customer service and unfilled claims. They now use Zurich products.

And yes! The MB CPO ELW coverage excludes wear & tear items like shocks & struts, or the airbags on an Airmatic suspension. Comprehensive level Zurich warranties DO include some parts like that. Every aftermarket provider will be different.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tacocat
Re-certifying a vehicle is costly and usually not worth the time, money, or effort required to get that done. The dealership would pass all the costs along to you, from stocking the vehicle in to certifying it and adding the warranty, even the fees that dealer charges each unit to cover admin costs. In most of those cases, you're better off buying an aftermarket warranty for the vehicle.

I've used CNA before, but my local dealer has since dropped them, citing poor customer service and unfilled claims. They now use Zurich products.

And yes! The MB CPO ELW coverage excludes wear & tear items like shocks & struts, or the airbags on an Airmatic suspension. Comprehensive level Zurich warranties DO include some parts like that. Every aftermarket provider will be different.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for!
Interesting about CNA. He said that's all they use at MB Palm Beach and it's as good as MB extended. Who knows....
Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 S450, 2019 Range Rover LWB, 2015 Range Rover, 2019 S560 Cabriolet (awaiting delivery)
FWIW - I just purchased an extended warranty on my 2015 Range Rover. I bought it through my RR dealer and it is written by CNA - NOT Land Rover. I added 3 years of zero deductible full manufacturers warranty coverage up to 70,000 miles. I could have added more miles, but we put limited miles on it anyway. 70k will be more than enough. The cost for the 3 years was $2,400 and if I sell the vehicle before the 3 years is up, I get a prorated refund on my premium, minus any claims I might have. Now, I can't say anything pro or con about CNA as I haven't filed a claim, but my dealer swears by CNA and said they never had a problem and they wouldn't sell them if they did. And by the way, I can get the car repaired at any facility I chose, I do not have to go to an authorized Land Rover center, and it includes towing and rental car coverage.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 AM

Hi all. I am in the process of getting an extended warranty on my 2016 S Class Coupe and there was a fair amount of misinformation previously posted (probably as provided by MB dealers who have their own agenda) and i wanted to let everyone know the true facts as i have gathered them so far (confirmed in writing by the local MB dealer).

First, we are talking about the “MB New Vehicle Extended Limited Warranty” issued exclusively MB dealers and sold by MB, not some aftermarket warranty.

The elements are as follows;
1. This applies to all MB cars that are currently covered by the original factory warranty. If your original warranty has expired then you cannot buy the extended warranty
2. The extended warranty covers used and second owner cars whether those cars were bought used from a MB dealer or a non MB dealer or privately (ie. Where you bought the car doesn’t matter}.
3. YOu do not need to have your car inspected. As long as the original warranty has not expired then you can buy the extended warranty. The reason is because MB is the issuer of the original warranty and so they can issue an extended warranty sight unseen because they would be liable under the original warranty anyway if there was an existing problem.
4. The extended warranty is very similar to the original warranty, it has no deductibles and a few more exclusions. It is good at all MB dealers. They say apart from the additional exclusions it is administered exactly like the original warranty.
5. If purchased in advance the extended warranty kicks in on the day your original warranty lapses
6. The extended warranty runs with the car and is transferable if you sell the car.
7. The pricing is based on either 1,2, or 3 additional years and is based on 75 or 100K aggregate miles. The following is the pricing that i was provided by the particular dealer i talked to:

Number of years commencing from end of original warranty and /total odometer miles (in thousands including mileage under the original warranty):

1/75 1/100 2/75 2/100 3/75. 3/100

$3,605 $4,353 $4,280 $4,928 $5,100 $5,963

So in my case i am likely to buy 3 extra years with a 75K mileage cap since I currently only have 20K miles on my car. So from this dealer it would cost me $5,100 for the 3 years of extended warranty.

Of course i have been told that selling extended warranties is a profit center for dealers and so i suspect i can find MB dealers that will undercut that pricing. I will be working on that and will let you know what i find out.

Last edited by RonCL55; 02-02-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RonCL55
Hi all. I am in the process of getting an extended warranty on my 2016 S Class Coupe and there was a fair amount of misinformation previously posted (probably as provided by MB dealers who have their own agenda) and i wanted to let everyone know the true facts as i have gathered them so far (confirmed in writing by the local MB dealer).

First, we are talking about the “MB New Vehicle Extended Limited Warranty” issued exclusively MB dealers and sold by MB, not some aftermarket warranty.

The elements are as follows;
1. This applies to all MB cars that are currently covered by the original factory warranty. If your original warranty has expired then you cannot buy the extended warranty
2. The extended warranty covers used and second owner cars whether those cars were bought used from a MB dealer or a non MB dealer or privately (ie. Where you bought the car doesn’t matter}.
3. YOu do not need to have your car inspected. As long as the original warranty has not expired then you can buy the extended warranty. The reason is because MB is the issuer of the original warranty and so they can issue an extended warranty sight unseen because they would be liable under the original warranty anyway if there was an existing problem.
4. The extended warranty is very similar to the original warranty, it has no deductibles and a few more exclusions. It is good at all MB dealers. They say apart from the additional exclusions it is administered exactly like the original warranty.
5. If purchased in advance the extended warranty kicks in on the day your original warranty lapses
6. The extended warranty runs with the car and is transferable if you sell the car.
7. The pricing is based on either 1,2, or 3 additional years and is based on 75 or 100K aggregate miles. The following is the pricing that i was provided by the particular dealer i talked to:

Number of years commencing from end of original warranty and /total odometer miles (in thousands including mileage under the original warranty):

1/75 1/100 2/75 2/100 3/75. 3/100

$3,605 $4,353 $4,280 $4,928 $5,100 $5,963

So in my case i am likely to buy 3 extra years with a 75K mileage cap since I currently only have 20K miles on my car. So from this dealer it would cost me $5,100 for the 3 years of extended warranty.

Of course i have been told that selling extended warranties is a profit center for dealers and so i suspect i can find MB dealers that will undercut that pricing. I will be working on that and will let you know what i find out.

One item in your write up, no. 1, is incomplete. If the original MB 4 year warranty has expired, it does not mean you cannot buy the MB extended warranty in all cases. I've looked at several '15's lately where the original warranty has run out. As it turns out though, if the car is being sold as a CPO by a MB dealer, then the extended MB warranty can be purchased up until the additional CPO 1 year extended warranty has expired. The key is if the car is under MB warranty, original or CPO, the extended warranty can be purchased. The total MB warranties on a car cannot exceed 7 years.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Actually Jud, you are talking about extending the MB Used Certified Pre Owned warranty. That is a totally different warranty from the MB New Vehicle warranty and has totally different pricing and rules for extending it. I was only talking about extending the original new warranty

Here is a link to a dealer website that explains the difference between extending a new warranty and extending a CPO warranty:

https://www.fjmercedes.com/extended-...y-information/
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 AM

One other thing i would add to the discussion. There is talk about the alternative of buying an aftermarket extended warranty. I suspect they are cheaper but i would not consider it and there are several reasons.

First, long ago i got an aftermarket extended warranty with what was essentially an insurance company. They were awful to deal with, had deductibles and they required non MB parts to used “when available”. “Available” meant you could wait weeks until the part arrived. Also, they had to send an inspector out to the mechanics shop to approve the work in the first place (which often meant waiting additional days for the inspection itself) and they nit picked what was covered by warranty and what was not. So while i understand there are now better aftermarket companies in the marketplace, i would not want to go through that experience again. We all know what a MB warranty is and it is far better.

Second, I dont think my present S Class is a lifetime keeper for me like my prior CL Class. It just is not that great of a car. So I am likely to get rid of it soon. So I perceive if I try to sell the car with an extended MB factory warranty with say 3 years and 45,000 miles on it, that will make the car far more desirable to the prospective buyer than a car that has an aftermarket warranty (if i was buying a car i would not attribute any value to an aftermarket warranty—I would acknowledge it was there but it wouldn’t make any difference to my buying decision).

So for me, comparing merely from a pricing standpoint, a MB extended warranty to an aftermarket extended warranty is comparing apples to oranges.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warranty