S63 vs S65 Ride Quality (Magic Body Control)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
S63 vs S65 Ride Quality (Magic Body Control)

I'm wondering if anyone has sufficient seat time in both the S63 and the S65 to comment on whether "Magic Body Control", which uses the predictive cameras, makes the S65 ride much different than the S63.

It'd be nice to have both 4Matic and Magic Body Control (and Curve Control), but not together, so S65 only. But does the S65 ride any better?

Thanks
Dave

[Searching for a 2018 Lunar Blue or Black S63 w/ Designo Brown Interior, Comet Wood, and most options!]
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I have not driven the S65 but highly likely it rides and handles better, not because of Magic Body Control but because it has active hydraulic versus air suspension.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
I have not driven the S65 but highly likely it rides and handles better, not because of Magic Body Control but because it has active hydraulic versus air suspension.
Magic Body Control IS the active hydraulic suspension.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 S 560 Cabriolet -2023 Demon 170 - 1961 Cadillac -2014 Cayman
I have driven both S65 and S63 coupes the S65 is definitely smoother then the S63. I prefer the ride of the S560 over both the S63 and S65. But I would definitely choose the S65 over the S63 based on ride quality.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
I’ve not driven a S65, I’ve always assumed the difference is the same as a S550 sedan with and without Magic Body Control.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 AM

2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by whoover
Magic Body Control IS the active hydraulic suspension.
Okay, I thought you were referring specifically to the road surface scan and active curve tilting features. I was referring to the more general benefits of independent active hydraulic suspension, which predates Magic Body Control, with its shorter reaction time and absence of sway bars.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
Okay, I thought you were referring specifically to the road surface scan and active curve tilting features. I was referring to the more general benefits of independent active hydraulic suspension, which predates Magic Body Control, with its shorter reaction time and absence of sway bars.
I had a W220 S65 with pre-camera "ABC" and it was amazing, both in terms of ride quality and seemingly defying the laws of physics by limiting body roll in the front-heavy beast. For most driving, the MBC scanning doesn't do much. I won't call it a gimmick, but I think the real reason they changed the name was because both Active Body Control and Air Body Control were called "ABC," which is confusing as hell. It's a shame that MB didn't fit it into AWD cars. That suspension on an S63 would be killer. My guess is that the warranty costs of keeping ABC/MBC going is what gave them pause more than the engineering complexity of fitting it to a 4Matic chassis.

I just know that I'd pay whatever they charged to add what I call the noise-canceling headphones of suspensions to the ride of my E63S.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
I had a W220 S65 with pre-camera "ABC" and it was amazing, both in terms of ride quality and seemingly defying the laws of physics by limiting body roll in the front-heavy beast. For most driving, the MBC scanning doesn't do much. I won't call it a gimmick, but I think the real reason they changed the name was because both Active Body Control and Air Body Control were called "ABC," which is confusing as hell. It's a shame that MB didn't fit it into AWD cars. That suspension on an S63 would be killer. My guess is that the warranty costs of keeping ABC/MBC going is what gave them pause more than the engineering complexity of fitting it to a 4Matic chassis.

I just know that I'd pay whatever they charged to add what I call the noise-canceling headphones of suspensions to the ride of my E63S.
Airmatic gives a nice ride in a straight line and has a larger range of adjustability, but it just cannot compare for performance driving. While I have not owned a Mercedes with ABC/MBC, my McLaren has a similar setup and it is amazing. I really wish Mercedes offered it in conjunction with their AWD cars. Airmatic can provide better ride comfort and certainly is a lower cost implementation than hydraulic, so it makes sense on the lower cost, luxury-oriented vehicle like the S5xx. But for performance oriented AMGs i.e. S63/E63/GT63 etc the hydraulic would definitely be preferable. The 600+ HP front engine AMG cars desperately need AWD to hook up to achieve competitive 0-60 times in the low 3 sec range; MBC w/ 4MATIC+ (which can disengage the front axle once traction is achieved) would be the ultimate combination in an AMG.

Both airmatic and MBC/ABC will have issues after the factory warranty expires, with the hydraulic generally being more costly of the two to repair and maintain. Hydraulic fluid leaks can be very messy, although that makes the source of the leak easier to find. Slow air leaks on the other hand are silent and hard to track down, based on my experience with a CLS55 and a H1 w/ CTIS. My CLS55 also suffered blow outs of the air strut bladders which were quite obvious!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 PM

Thanks! I'm aware of the general technical differences (hydraulic vs air) but am more interested in the different in result!

I had a 2003 CL600 w/ ABC, how comparable would that have been? I was not particularly impressed with that ride, but it's the last ABC car I've owned! I assume they've come a long way since then?

I was sort of expecting Magic Body Control to be similar to the Bosch systems of a few years back - that might be a bit ambitious!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by davepl
Thanks! I'm aware of the general technical differences (hydraulic vs air) but am more interested in the different in result!

I had a 2003 CL600 w/ ABC, how comparable would that have been? I was not particularly impressed with that ride, but it's the last ABC car I've owned! I assume they've come a long way since then?

I was sort of expecting Magic Body Control to be similar to the Bosch systems of a few years back - that might be a bit ambitious!
Don't underestimate the ABC on those older cars, they are probably just as good as any made now.

When you say you weren't particularly impressed by that ride, do you mean comfort in a straight line / bumpy roads or handling/roll/traction around curves ? Air is definitely better for former, which is why it is used in so many luxury cars. Hydraulic is unbeatable in keeping the car level and maintaining traction at speed during turns - there is a reason McLaren uses it in their upper end cars - but it is definitely less complaint than air on rough surfaces.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 PM

Oh yes, ubdoubtedtly even my old ABC was great at body control and keeping things flat. I was thinking of "absorb NVH and road irregularities" over roads in a straight line, as you note.