Apple Carplay C217

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 S63C4, 2021 Escalade Sport Platinum, 2023 Polaris Slingshot R
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stan_tetters
Thanks for the ideas. I agree with your assessment, I didn't get a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but just a regular 3.5mm cable which plugs into the cable harness audio in and comes through to a USB to 3.5 adapter in the center console. I think you are saying you can use a 3.5 to RCA instead and use left/right inputs on the harness (currently unused).
i suspect the USB adapter. I will take a look at it again at the weekend when i can face taking the center off console off again! I inadvertently dropped a bolt down into a black hole in the rear center console last time! Also found detaching the light in the rear console storage area really fiddly.
i may need to try and take the rear center console off to find the bolt, but no idea how to do it.
No useful suggestions from GTA yet, just “did you connect the cable”.
No, don't do that. Those female RCAs from the box are not audio outputs, they're inputs. I meant that you can eliminate the USB adapter and plug into the White (left) and Red (Right) RCA Auxiliary inputs in the console. That's actually the preferred method.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 coupe
Ah, my car doesn’t have RCA inputs in the console hence the confusion. I notice the non-coupe car in the gtacarkits video does, i assume your S63 coupe does too?
Update - the unit is now not working at all - it reset a few times when changing bias balance to double check three was no sound from the one side, then it shut down and will not restart. Oem unit is still working fine. Assuming it doesn’t magically start working in the morning, i am going to ask for a replacement unit.

Last edited by stan_tetters; 10-11-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
you can install the android decoder, it is built-in wireless apple carplay and android auto
Old 12-25-2022, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 华凌安
you can install the android decoder, it is built-in wireless apple carplay and android auto
How about supplying a url link?
Old 01-03-2023, 12:51 AM

S550 Cabrio (A217)
Hi All! New to the forums, just purchased a 17 S550 Cab and first thing I did was go looking for a carplay solution. I got the JoyeAuto kit, and got to the part where I plug it in. Figured I'd better test everything and much to my chagrin the video output was not working. I checked the connections numerous times, doesn't seem to have any issue there and the box on the whole seemed to work because I could connect to it and get carplay running (confirmed by audio coming out of "carplay" on my phone and google maps turning into carplay mode when guidance was started). Weird thing I noticed was when I would unplug an LVDS cable, for a brief moment I'd get the video data to show up on the screen, but it was static, very small and stacked on itself three times. Hope these pics aren't enormous but i've uploaded two to show you what I mean.

Anyone run into this issue? I'm assuming my main unit has some issue but maybe there's just something I'm missing.

Also as a quick aside, taking the console apart was no big sweat EXCEPT the rear lighted coin/storage tray. So much so that I've managed to get the thing stuck. But (and I'm going to assume this is a Coupe/Cab issue) did anyone else find it almost impossible to lift the console more than a few inches? The GTA video showed the console basically off, I could never move mine far back enough so that console hooks could clear the HVAC consoles and dash.

Edit: and one final question, has anyone used the HDMI input on the device? Is it possible to connect something directly to it and have the audio/video display? Not something I'd use often but I'd love to be able to plug my tab or laptop into the hdmi to view some media files in a pinch.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:05 AM

S63 Coupe AMG (C217)
Originally Posted by jaykishan_g
Has anyone managed to crack this one yet? Anyone have apple carplay/android auto working on a C217?
Hi guys,

This post is a few years old but it seems Apple CarPlay's software now works in older versions of the C217.
Mine is a 2015 S63 Coupe and Apple CarPlay is working.

However, when it pairs with the phone and is working as normal, I cant use the screen for anything else like the native MB SatVav, cant switch to Radio or Car settings or the massaging seats or anything else accessed by the standard buttons in the centre console.

Has anyone else had the same issue?
Old 04-30-2023, 08:24 AM

S63 Coupe AMG (C217)
Originally Posted by Scoobsky
Hi guys,

This post is a few years old but it seems Apple CarPlay's software now works in older versions of the C217.

However, when it pairs with the phone and is working as normal, I cant use the screen for anything else like the native MB SatVav, cant switch to Radio or Car settings or the massaging seats or anything else accessed by the standard buttons in the centre console.

Found out what the issue was, I just needed to press the Return button for a couple of seconds and it reverts back into Native MB Infotainment mode

All works perfectly well now )

Old 04-30-2023, 11:08 AM
haa

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoobsky
Hi guys,

I bet you are not the first owner of this car. Most likely explanation is the previous owner had installed a CarPlay adapter. Enjoy
Old 05-01-2023, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by haa
I bet you are not the first owner of this car. Most likely explanation is the previous owner had installed a CarPlay adapter. Enjoy
Yup. I was gonna say the exact same thing. I couldn't imagine anyone thinking that Carplay came factory installed with Comand NTG 5.0 at any time.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S65 AMG Cabriolet (A217)
I just installed the ZZ unit, and it has worked very well. I used Phantom Electronics in the LA area for the installation, and Howard is great to work with.

https://zz-2.com/collections/c-play-...ucts/it-ntg5-w

Old 06-28-2023, 07:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lexus
Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto functionality are truly enticing features that captivate users.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:17 PM

2015 S63 coupe, 2005 Mercedes S600 & 2003 CL600
In my video about half way through you’ll see a bit of the apple car play I installed myself in my 2015 S63

Big Question: Do you fit? Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe C217 CAR REVIEW -BIG GULP EXOTICS
Old 08-17-2023, 06:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 S550 4Matic Coupe
I just installed the UNavi CarPlay/Android Auto kit into my C217. It works fine so far as I can tell. You get the CarPlay screen by doing a long press on the “back arrow” button on your console. Do another long press and the factory COMAND screen comes back. Be sure you select “AUX” as your media source before going to CarPlay though if you hope to hear any music or nav voices while in CarPlay.

Apple CarPlay for 2008-2020 Mercedes Benz S Class | Wireless & Wired | CarPlay & Android Auto Upgrade Module / Adapter2014-2018 | LCD Screen Displays / Android Auto & CarPlay Kit

https://unavi-usa.com/products/apple...module-adapter

Not a horrible task to install. Pop off rear of console a/c vents and get to the four T25 bolts that secure console to car floor. Two more of those bolts await you up front under the cup holders and rubber mat. No need to actually REMOVE the center console. Instead you merely lift it up from the back and pull it rearward enough to clear the head unit. When you get the head unit out (a pair of T15 screws) you must move the factory MOST (orange fiber optic cables) jack to the new T-harness male quad lock that goes into the head unit. Plug the factory male quad lock into the T-Harness female quad lock, then run the cabling from behind the audio head unit down and back to the transmission tunnel along the center of the car. The new unit rests there, covered by the console when you put everything back together. They link you to a decent install video for our cars when you buy. Although I connected and tried the wireless 5G way, I turned off the wireless CarPlay. Getting sound out was a PITA until I just hooked up my phone with a USB cable with wireless turned off. This unit is seen by the car as an “AUX” source so you have to go into MEDIA and select AUX to hear anything. You plug their aux cable with USB adapter into one of the car’s two USB jacks inside the center console. Plug your iPhone into their supplied USB input (female jack) cable. Both of these are run up into the center console after you unsnap the plate that holds the factory USB and component plugs,

Last edited by djcwardog; 08-17-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:37 PM

BMW X7
Tips

I think some third-party Apple Music Converters could also achieve this. They could solve the DRM encryption problem. The one I’m using now is DumpMedia Apple Music Converter. It’s fast with flexible output formats. I usually download my loved songs to a USB and connect the USB to my car so that I could play those songs offline. Hope it’s helpful for you.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:18 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
I purchased the GTA Car Kits version. Can anyone confirm they've updated the 360 camera to work when switching from reverse to forward? Last I read it works in reverse, but to get the front camera you have to hit your MB 360 button. I'd prefer it automatically update from rear to front camera when reversing and going forward. Please advise.

<EDIT>. Finished my install today. While overall it was easy, just a real pain hopping in the back of the coupe, then to the front then to the back. The hardest part for me was getting the console to go back into place and lining up the holes for the console. The video made it look easy but I spent 25 minutes or more because I was paranoid about damaging a cable or scratching something when reinstalling the console. Finally got it back in. You DEFINIETLY need the magnet tools, I would have lost damn near all my screws without it. I still lost two that fell into the ether unreachable by my hand or magnet tool.

I can confirm, GTACarKits still does not switch from reverse cam to front cam if you backup first. The 360 button does not activate when in Android Auto mode. I can live with it. I only really wanted it for Google Maps and maybe hands-free Spotify. Otherwise I don’t see me using it all that frequently. But others may feel differently.

Last edited by lexnoir; 08-21-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2017 S550 coupe, 2013 E550 coupe, 2008 Tahoe
I am trying to remove the upper section of the center console on a C217 (coupe) in which it seems I have to remove the rear console as well. This requires removing the rear seats to remove the rear center console. I have looked and have not seen anyone mention this for the coupe but the WIS shows this it what has to happen. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-30-2023, 03:06 PM

2015 S63 coupe, 2005 Mercedes S600 & 2003 CL600
you don’t have to remove rear seats, but do have to remove center console. you go in through the rear seats center console where ash tray is to pull it all out after unscrewing it from within that cubby

Originally Posted by wheatswake
I am trying to remove the upper section of the center console on a C217 (coupe) in which it seems I have to remove the rear console as well. This requires removing the rear seats to remove the rear center console. I have looked and have not seen anyone mention this for the coupe but the WIS shows this it what has to happen. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-30-2023, 03:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2017 S550 coupe, 2013 E550 coupe, 2008 Tahoe
Thanks, I got it. Had to remove all four screws in the rear vent area not two like the sedan.

I was able to place the CarPlay module behind the usb port panel inside the console for easy access.

Last edited by wheatswake; 01-05-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:59 AM
SPONSOR

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Carlinklife Wireless CarPlay Android Auto Module For Mercedes Benz C217 NTG 5.0

https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...reverse-camera

Discount code "mbworld"

Last edited by Carlinklife; 01-01-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GL450
Help!

Hey guys. Installed the hour joyeauto unit. Everything works great and as advertised BUTTTT…..

I have a few horizontal static lines going across my screen (only when I’m in CarPlay mode….normal MB mode is unaffected). The joyeauto “support” has been the opposite of helpful and nearly impossible to get anything of value out of them. I’ve tried resetting all the dip switches. I’ve try every combo of dip switches. Nothing is fixing these lines on the screen. I’ve checked the line out cable and that’s good to go. Please help!
Having some problems trying to upload a picture, but I will as soon as I can.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I found Joyauto customer service bad also
Old 01-30-2024, 08:49 PM

S550
GTA Install Complete in my 16 S550

Completed the install, pretty simple and cut and dry however when in Apple Carplay mode I am not getting any sound. Should my phone be plugged in for sound or using bluetooth? I tried both but getting nothing. Anyone else had this problem and know of a fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:12 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by BIGWILL_88
Completed the install, pretty simple and cut and dry however when in Apple Carplay mode I am not getting any sound. Should my phone be plugged in for sound or using bluetooth? I tried both but getting nothing. Anyone else had this problem and know of a fix? Thanks in advance.
There will be a row of switches on your Carplay Module, If everything goes well except the sound of Apple Carplay, then there is a high probability that the settings there are incorrect. You should ask the seller for help. They will tell you how the switches of their product should be set based on your car model.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:28 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
+1

Per the above comment I agree. Check the dip switches ensure they are set correctly. I got the GTA kit not Joyauto but I suspect they are the same. You should be able to get sound via BT or by plugging it in. But I have an Android not iPhone. Also ensure the audio/media volume on your phone is turned up.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:30 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by lexnoir
Per the above comment I agree. Check the dip switches ensure they are set correctly. I got the GTA kit not Joyauto but I suspect they are the same. You should be able to get sound via BT or by plugging it in. But I have an Android not iPhone. Also ensure the audio/media volume on your phone is turned up.
Although the products are different, the basic principles are the same.