Apple Carplay C217

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63 AMG Coupe '16
Apple Carplay C217

Has anyone managed to crack this one yet? Anyone have apple carplay/android auto working on a C217?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 coupe
I didn't think it was supported (on pre-2018 models). Do you think it could be made to work?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Dees only work on facelifted models.(MY18 onwards).

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 10-06-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 AMG Coupe
I tried it on my 2018 model, it seems to be working, but it was very laggy and near unusable. I suspect it might be a cable issue, will try with another cable soon.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
Just get the Alexa Echo auto and speak to it. You get traffic, weather, music, auditable, and it goes via your phone to bluetooth. I really like it.. I plug it in the USB port in the center console and stick it between my driver seat and the console box, with the blue color facing up. Very neat.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-30-2019, 03:09 PM

2014 S550 2013 S550 2012 E350,2008 CLS63
Originally Posted by jaykishan_g
Has anyone managed to crack this one yet? Anyone have apple carplay/android auto working on a C217?
Yes, I put an aftermarket Alpine apple car play. Works great
Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 S550 Sedan W222
I ordered this retrofit unit and plan to install it within the next week or two:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...47364c4dKIvxQF

It should work for both the coupe and sedan.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by daviper
I ordered this retrofit unit and plan to install it within the next week or two:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...47364c4dKIvxQF

It should work for both the coupe and sedan.
That looks very functional and promising! Please let us know how well it works for you.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
I installed the joyeauto CarPlay unit tonight and can confirm it works. After ordering it through aliexpress it arrived in about a week. My car is a 2015 S63 Coupe. It took me 2-3 hours to install - mainly just because I was being very careful - you need to pull back the center console to get the cd changer/radio out - which isn’t difficult to do, but will take you longer the first time you do it. I couldn’t figure out how to remove the glovebox, so I mounted the CarPlay box behind the carpet on the left side on the passenger footwell (also took me 30 mins or so to decide on location and re-run the wires. Everything is plug and play and completely reversible - I didn’t cut or solder any wires.

Right now I am using it in WiFi mode which does work well. I may try it in wired mode since I want my phone to be charging anyways. The sound quality is excellent - as good as your aux input allows.

Right now I am just having 2 issues.
1) When in CarPlay mode (you can toggle between CarPlay and the stock MB interface) my rear view camera isn’t coming up when I shift into reverse (black screen). I have the factory 360 camera option. It still works normally when in the normal MB interface. There are some settings relating to camera mode with this unit - so I have a feeling this is just a setting - I didn’t have time to troubleshoot tonight but will take a shot at this tomorrow. ***UPDATE BELOW*** this was quickly resolved by rebooting the CarPlay box and resetting the setting dipswitches.

2) Hitting the star button is supposed to activate Siri. This doesn’t seem to be working for me - but I will check to make sure I’m running the latest firmware.

Overall this seems to be a nice retrofit solution. Keep in mind it’s a retrofit - it’s never going to be 100% perfect like OEM - but this is pretty close! The graphics quality is very good as well.

Last edited by daviper; 12-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by daviper:
e55phil (06-09-2020), mcotten (12-29-2019), mikey94025 (12-09-2019), Nermal (12-10-2019), qmciver (07-09-2023), van_rider (12-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 AM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Update - support had me power off and reset the dip switches on the CarPlay box and that fixed the reverse camera - that’s now working perfectly as it does from the factory. The only issue I’m waiting to hear back on is the feature that activates Siri when you hit the star button on the trackpad (not essential but something I’d like to work). I’ve also decided that I really like the wireless CarPlay and will be using a wireless charger to charge my phone. I’m waiting for my mount to arrive from KUDA USA to mount my wireless charging pad to hold my phone. I can of course still activate Siri by saying "Hey Siri", which my phone picks up on.

This morning I ran the microphone so that is above the rearview mirror - the black blends well there and doesn't bother me. I haven't had a chance to test the call quality yet - but I think it will be fine with the microphone in this location.

Overall I would say that this unit is a great solution for anyone looking to add CarPlay to the W222/C217 models. I am happy with it!

Last edited by daviper; 12-10-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S63 AMG
Thanks for the write-up and taking the plunge for us all. This was a solution I was looking at for quite some time and it's reassuring someone is happy with it.

One question: is it the latest carplay?
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
CarPlay runs from your phone - so yes, as long as you have the latest iOS installed then it's the latest CarPlay. It's the same CarPlay (newer) interface as my cars that have OEM CarPlay.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S63 AMG
Sounds great. How did you install it? Did it come with install instructions?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:08 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
I followed this video for pulling back the center console (coupe was very similar to sedan - maybe even less work). I didn't actually remove it completely - just pulled it back enough to pull out the radio:

Then followed this video from the manufacturer for installing the unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?spm=a2...ature=youtu.be

Although the vehicle is different, the connections you make behind the radio are the same and the concept is the same.

As I mentioned before I couldn't figure out how to remove the glovebox (especially with the air fragrance system in there it seemed like it might be complicated), so I mounted the control box in the passenger footwell behind the carpet along the console tunnel. I also wanted to be able to access this box without having to remove the center console again, in case of troubleshooting or updates:

Here's a picture of the radio removed and accessible to connect the main harness and 2 cables:

When you install the main harness you will need to remember to move the fiber-optic cable from the original harness to the new harness (I can't remember if the video shows this - but it's very easy - it's on its own clip/plug).

Lastly - when you run the audio cord from the audio out on the Joyeauto box to the car's usb input in the armrest - I found that the plastic phone holder thing in the armrest pops out - and if you remove the elastic band on it you can push the audio cord through the hole left there and can reinstall it. So I didn't have to drill any holes to run that cable to there, which was a plus! I didn't cut any wires or drill any holes in this install.

Here are the instructions from the manufacturer:

Last edited by daviper; 12-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daviper:
mcotten (12-29-2019), wsevans (07-10-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:01 PM

2016 S550e
@daviper Can you please comment on a few items about the unit--
  • What are the EQ options of the unit (preset, custom or multiband)?
  • Do you hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality while using CP vs. the Media Interface?
  • The unit has HDMI and an SD card slot. Can you comment on their functionality?
  • How helpful is the manual?
Thank you for posting what you already have.

Last edited by mcotten; 12-29-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added to comment
Old 12-31-2019, 12:26 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
What are the EQ options of the unit (preset, custom or multiband)?
I'm not sure - I think there were some basic settings in the Joyeauto settings, but the audio goes through your normal infotainment system (through the aux input) - so the MB equalizer settings are still available. I would use the EQ settings in the MB system since I'm sure they're much more advanced. Keep in mind that the way this system operates is that your car infotainment system is set to Aux for input, and the Joyeauto basically sends its video to the screen. From an MB infotainment perspective,Your car thinks it's still in Aux mode (though the controller does properly control the Joyeauto device) - even though your screen is displaying the CarPlay functionality from the Joyeauto system. This is why it uses a T-Harness and connects inline with the Head Unit's wiring.

Do you hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality while using CP vs. the Media Interface?
The sound comes through the aux input - I don't notice any degradation in the audio from the Joyeauto unit versus using my phone directly.

The unit has HDMI and an SD card slot. Can you comment on their functionality?
I haven't used them and don't plan to. I imagine they work fine though

How helpful is the manual?
The image I posted is all there is for a manual - but everything is pretty straightforward. They also offer customer support via WhatsApp

Last edited by daviper; 12-31-2019 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcotten (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Sorry posted twice
Old 12-31-2019, 11:55 PM

2016 S550e
Thank you for your response. I was fearing limited information in the manual, Joyeatuo appears to have quick responses on their feedback pages as well.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 S550e
Does installing this after market solution void the manufacturer warranty on the car?
The following users liked this post:
gregorynp (04-08-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CL600
I just ordered this for my 2016 S550....I’ll see if it works.

https://carplay2air.com/
Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 PM

2016 S550e
it says that it only works in cars that come with factory installed carplay unit. 2016 to my knowledge does not come with factory carplay. let us know if it works though
Old 05-24-2020, 11:09 AM

2015 CLS400
I installed the joyeauto CarPlay unit tonight and can confirm it works. After ordering it through aliexpress it arrived in about a week. My car is a 2015 S63 Coupe. It took me 2-3 hours to install - mainly just because I was being very careful - you need to pull back the center console to get the cd changer/radio out - which isn’t difficult to do, but will take you longer the first time you do it. I couldn’t figure out how to remove the glovebox, so I mounted the CarPlay box behind the carpet on the left side on the passenger footwell (also took me 30 mins or so to decide on location and re-run the wires. Everything is plug and play and completely reversible - I didn’t cut or solder any wires.

Right now I am using it in WiFi mode which does work well. I may try it in wired mode since I want my phone to be charging anyways. The sound quality is excellent - as good as your aux input allows.

1) When in CarPlay mode (you can toggle between CarPlay and the stock MB interface) my rear view camera isn’t coming up when I shift into reverse (black screen). I have the factory 360 camera option. It still works normally when in the normal MB interface. There are some settings relating to camera mode with this unit - so I have a feeling this is just a setting - I didn’t have time to troubleshoot tonight but will take a shot at this tomorrow. ***UPDATE BELOW*** this was quickly resolved by rebooting the CarPlay box and resetting the setting dipswitches.

2) Hitting the star button is supposed to activate Siri. This doesn’t seem to be working for me - but I will check to make sure I’m running the latest firmware.

Overall this seems to be a nice retrofit solution. Keep in mind it’s a retrofit - it’s never going to be 100% perfect like OEM - but this is pretty close! The graphics quality is very good as well.

Hello David
Could you please share how to reset the dip switch?
Im having the same issue where the backup camera does not come up when the car is in reverse.
I also have issue with wired connection where there is no sound, however I decided to just do the wireless since I could use stock microphone with wireless, not sure why you have to install microphone. In my case I only need microphone if I do the wired connection.

thank you
Old 05-24-2020, 12:45 PM

2016 S550e

does your car usb input still work if i want to plug in my phone and stream that way?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:34 PM

2015 CLS400
Originally Posted by hoangcao243
Hello David
Could you please share how to reset the dip switch?
Im having the same issue where the backup camera does not come up when the car is in reverse.
I also have issue with wired connection where there is no sound, however I decided to just do the wireless since I could use stock microphone with wireless, not sure why you have to install microphone. In my case I only need microphone if I do the wired connection.

thank you

never mind, got the unit reset and backup cam is working now. Just very weird that now the 360 camera (stock) does not work in carplay mode. I have to put it back to benz interface to activate 360cam???
Old 07-10-2020, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S63 Coupe
@daviper thanks for the advice. I just received CarPlay unit from Joyauto. I have a 2016 S63 coupe. Do you have any advice on removing the center console? I followed the video for removing the console for the 2015 S-class sedan. I removed the four screws that are in the rear of the console and two screws under the cup holder. Am I missing something? Update. I figured it out.

Last edited by wsevans; 07-12-2020 at 12:05 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay C217