S550 vs S63 AMG coupes - suspension/ride differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:33 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
S550 vs S63 AMG coupes - suspension/ride differences

Odd time lately -- I've been weighing various other models versus my current 2016 S550 coupe. I was comparing and considering E450 coupes done new/BTO and some non-Mercedes options, and then I came across a reasonable deal on a 2016 S63 AMG coupe fully optioned with what I'd want, including the high-end Burmester (unlike my current).

What I'm wondering: just how much more stiff a ride is the AMG version of the air suspension that I currently have? The car is too far away to test drive. Trying to gauge whether it's worth the out-of-pocket difference for a same-year, but AMG, with those options, and ~8k fewer miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
S550 is mushy but S63 is noticeably firmer. I have seen only 1 S63 with all the options, and It didnt have all the options, it had almost all, it was list 205k
Old 02-14-2021, 03:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
S63 AMG
One thing that may make for a ride difference is the 20 inch rims on the S63. (4 matic also adds a different flavor of driving) I had 20s on my BMW 6er and moved to the same style wheel only in a 19 inch, WOW lots of difference. I keep thinking that I should do the same for my S63. The ride is nice, however you do get a lot of road feedback from the short sidewall on the 20s. All this said, just keep in mind there may be a wheel difference as well as the suspension. To me, the S63 is anything but mushy. But I would like just a tick less harshness. I'll go S class every time and given the option, AMG too.

fyi, the few subtle difference moving to AMG are really nice both inside and out. . Maybe an E63s in a coupe form could be interesting....Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The tires dont firm up the suspension, they make it feel alittle more bumpy, but they dont make the suspension any firmer. I drive in the mountains, and I know this 550 plows every corner and washes out every dip and rise.
Its a granny suspension, even with the S shock button pushed in. I knew this when I bought it. But I thought I could adjust to it.
Thats why I will get a s63 whenever I find one.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:24 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Testdrove both the S550 and the S63 just after each other, and found the S550 too soft/loose in both steering and suspension, but ok, that is personal of course.

The S63 has 3 suspension settings (or 2 in the pre facelift), and even on 20 inch it is never too hard imho. In Comfort mode it is very comfortable, in Sport mode a little more stiff, but still more than relaxed (I use this setting almost daily) and Sport+ is more firm, I use it only on high speed Autobahn speeds or on agressive speed bumps (to prevent too much travel of the srpings, and the bumpers hitting the speed bump). Be aware: the suspension settings are also coupled with the height (varying between -1 to +1).

Further: if you could afford the S63, I would ALWAYS go for that one! I was charmed by the S550, but only really impressed by the S63 (engine sound, transmission, suspension, steering, etc. all much more "involving" in the S63 imho). You will not regret it!
Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Audi a7
As someone contemplating trading my 2015 s550 SEDAN, for a 2018 s560 coupe, I have test driven s560 coupe and s63 coupe and can say that if money is not an issue, I would go s63. It firms up the steering and the suspension without sacrificing comfort. When I test drive the s63 I did not feel the ride to be harsh, just firmer and planted, if that makes sense. Stronger exhaust note in the s63 over the s550 coupe but in my opinion it is not a whole heck of a lot louder to the extent that I thought it would be. If a stiffer more sporty ride is what you prioritize above all else, I say get the s63 and if you can’t bear the cost difference now, wait until you can. I spent upwards of 6k to make my s550 into an “s63-lite” car and it just doesn’t quite fit the bill. Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a firm "amg" suspension may feel harsher on the highway drive, but thats not the intent of having it. It will handle better and provide firmer and better handling on curves and hills, when driving aggressively. Thats the purpose of having it in the first place.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
Its a reason to take S65 over S63 due to no AWD it has the magic carpet ride.

I prefer the lazy wafty ride of the 550/560, bit the S63/65 make all the right noises and poses..
Old 08-16-2023, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S63 coupe, 2005 Mercedes S600 & 2003 CL600
I drove the S65 and S63 side by side. My S63 is tuned through by weistec. The s65 felt a bit lazy, which I was shocked because I always wanted an S65. The rwd is super nice though for the fun aspect. The 65 was a bit smoother but for my 20 minute drive comparison I couldn’t put it through the wringer to know just how much better. The 65 did have more options than my car. Tune a 65 and then you’ll have some fun. If you can get the AMG get it over the 550 or even newer 560.

Big Question: Do you fit? Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe C217 CAR REVIEW -BIG GULP EXOTICS
Old 08-20-2023, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MB S550 Coupe
Quick answer, I have the power stop rotors with EBC ceramic pads and my 5000lb beast stops like a track car. Power Stop has a great rotor set, so long as they are vented and drilled, for the most part rotors are rotors folks, the metallurgy of aftermarket rotors are excellent, exhibit A is MB or AMG rotors ARE NOT GERMAN BLACK FOREST STEEL LIKE THE OLD DAYS, IT'S ALL CHINESIUM END STAGE MANUFACTURING REGARDLESS. THAT SAID AS A GIVEN, the key are the pads, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE CHOICE. EBC Red Stuff stops like a track car and has INSANELY LOWER BRAKE DUST.
Anyone who says otherwise, or worse, recommends OEM doesn't know anything about the physics of brake systems on heavy cars. Our cars violate many aspects of the frictional physics required to stop the sheer mass of a 5000lb GT moving at 100+MPH, which is where you need brakes at that "oh ****" moment of stopped traffic up ahead on the freeway. OEM on a C217 S550 is the recent past AMG Brembo calipers so you're good there, then the rotors should be vented drilled, and mine are slotted which adds an integrated cleaning tool that scrapes the pads to maintain even wear. Beyond that it's all about the brake pad technology. OEM MB are so soft they melt away the pads implying that the pads are the friction modifier providing stopping power as evidenced by the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF DISGUSTING BRAKE DUST, what you miss is that pad compound is so inferior that it will wear a groove into the rotors, long story long, it's a built in MB maintenance scam that ensures you get your $2000 pad rotor fluid change out.

Now listen to an educated real world user, I have a 610 HP 620FtLbs of torque TO THE WHEELS S550 rocket ship in the form of a super luxury plush GT. My girl does 0-60 in 3 seconds and it eats S63's for lunch.
Answer yourself this one question, and this goes to any S63 purest who thinks because they spent $80,000 more they have a better car, THEY DON'T, AT 100+ MPH ON A FREEWAY IT'S A RICKETY HELL RIDE. Whereas my 610HP S550 super luxury grand tourer is a capsule of elegance, power, quiet, and pure comfort.

When's the last time any of us could control a car on a freeway at 150MPH in any setting other than a straight line, NEVER, AND I'M A SKILLED PSYCHO DRIVER. When's the last time any of us would take our fat 5000lb beast to a track day course thus illuminating some slight advantage of S63 over S550? NEVER WOULD WE TAKE OUR 6 FIGURE DAILY DRIVERS AND BURN THE $2000 TIRES OFF IT, AND BURN THE PADS AND ROTORS OFF IT, NEVER, BECAUSE AFTER TURN 12 WE'D HAVE NO BRAKES OR TIRES AT 5000LBS AT THAT SPEED, IT'S BASIC PHYSICS THAT THE WEAKEST LINK WILL FAIL THE FASTEST, I.E. TIRES AND PADS AND ROTORS.

So, now let's have an intelligent conversation of real world parameters. I'm sitting at a light to get on I-95, and a douche in an M5 is next to me and has been whipping in and out of traffic to get to the light. I hit the sport switch and my full 610HP is engaged. With my all wheel drive and 620ftlbs of torque when I mash the pedal it's a blur and BMW douche is a distant thought.

Now, even better, an S63 douche pulls up, again I engage warp and whilst it's close at first 610 all wheel drive hp with that 620 lbs of torque at 1800 RPM just walks away from him.

In Summary, buy an S550, tune the **** out of it because the M278 engine has up to 750hp in it without blowing the rods out of it, then get yourself some EBC rotors and pads, but like me, spend $800 less and get the StopTech Rotors and EBC Red Stuff. AND FOR $80,000.00 LESS YOU HAVE AN S63 KILLER, M5 KILLER, AND WHATEVER ELSE. And then you hit the button and your back to a comfy velvety ride.
OH YEAH PLEASE SEE ATTACHED MY 10 SECOND TICKET FROM PBIR.
Regards,
Alex

Over-tuned and I was immediately kicked off the track because no safety equipment, I just rolled up my fat plush GT and scorched a 10!
Old 10-20-2023, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S 550
How Tune

Originally Posted by avigo9999
Quick answer, I have the power stop rotors with EBC ceramic pads and my 5000lb beast stops like a track car. Power Stop has a great rotor set, so long as they are vented and drilled, for the most part rotors are rotors folks, the metallurgy of aftermarket rotors are excellent, exhibit A is MB or AMG rotors ARE NOT GERMAN BLACK FOREST STEEL LIKE THE OLD DAYS, IT'S ALL CHINESIUM END STAGE MANUFACTURING REGARDLESS. THAT SAID AS A GIVEN, the key are the pads, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE CHOICE. EBC Red Stuff stops like a track car and has INSANELY LOWER BRAKE DUST.
Anyone who says otherwise, or worse, recommends OEM doesn't know anything about the physics of brake systems on heavy cars. Our cars violate many aspects of the frictional physics required to stop the sheer mass of a 5000lb GT moving at 100+MPH, which is where you need brakes at that "oh ****" moment of stopped traffic up ahead on the freeway. OEM on a C217 S550 is the recent past AMG Brembo calipers so you're good there, then the rotors should be vented drilled, and mine are slotted which adds an integrated cleaning tool that scrapes the pads to maintain even wear. Beyond that it's all about the brake pad technology. OEM MB are so soft they melt away the pads implying that the pads are the friction modifier providing stopping power as evidenced by the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF DISGUSTING BRAKE DUST, what you miss is that pad compound is so inferior that it will wear a groove into the rotors, long story long, it's a built in MB maintenance scam that ensures you get your $2000 pad rotor fluid change out.

Now listen to an educated real world user, I have a 610 HP 620FtLbs of torque TO THE WHEELS S550 rocket ship in the form of a super luxury plush GT. My girl does 0-60 in 3 seconds and it eats S63's for lunch.
Answer yourself this one question, and this goes to any S63 purest who thinks because they spent $80,000 more they have a better car, THEY DON'T, AT 100+ MPH ON A FREEWAY IT'S A RICKETY HELL RIDE. Whereas my 610HP S550 super luxury grand tourer is a capsule of elegance, power, quiet, and pure comfort.

When's the last time any of us could control a car on a freeway at 150MPH in any setting other than a straight line, NEVER, AND I'M A SKILLED PSYCHO DRIVER. When's the last time any of us would take our fat 5000lb beast to a track day course thus illuminating some slight advantage of S63 over S550? NEVER WOULD WE TAKE OUR 6 FIGURE DAILY DRIVERS AND BURN THE $2000 TIRES OFF IT, AND BURN THE PADS AND ROTORS OFF IT, NEVER, BECAUSE AFTER TURN 12 WE'D HAVE NO BRAKES OR TIRES AT 5000LBS AT THAT SPEED, IT'S BASIC PHYSICS THAT THE WEAKEST LINK WILL FAIL THE FASTEST, I.E. TIRES AND PADS AND ROTORS.

So, now let's have an intelligent conversation of real world parameters. I'm sitting at a light to get on I-95, and a douche in an M5 is next to me and has been whipping in and out of traffic to get to the light. I hit the sport switch and my full 610HP is engaged. With my all wheel drive and 620ftlbs of torque when I mash the pedal it's a blur and BMW douche is a distant thought.

Now, even better, an S63 douche pulls up, again I engage warp and whilst it's close at first 610 all wheel drive hp with that 620 lbs of torque at 1800 RPM just walks away from him.

In Summary, buy an S550, tune the **** out of it because the M278 engine has up to 750hp in it without blowing the rods out of it, then get yourself some EBC rotors and pads, but like me, spend $800 less and get the StopTech Rotors and EBC Red Stuff. AND FOR $80,000.00 LESS YOU HAVE AN S63 KILLER, M5 KILLER, AND WHATEVER ELSE. And then you hit the button and your back to a comfy velvety ride.
OH YEAH PLEASE SEE ATTACHED MY 10 SECOND TICKET FROM PBIR.
Regards,
Alex

Over-tuned and I was immediately kicked off the track because no safety equipment, I just rolled up my fat plush GT and scorched a 10!
May I ask - what did you do/how you tune Naturally asp S 550 to get the kind of HP you did Thanks