C217 rear driver side footwell water leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 Coupe
C217 rear driver side footwell water leak

Hey guys,

New to the forum though really needed some help.

My c217 coupe started to really freak out yesterday, lights on the dash went insane and it wouldn't lock or unlock.
Done some looking around and I found a damp patch behind the driver seat footwell.

Now around 2 months back I noticed some water in the same area but thought it was spilt water.

Now my assumption is that water is getting in the car and freaking out the electrics. Anxiety to drive it is through the roof 🙄 and help on what I could look for or a direction to point me in?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I would check with a dealer and see if they have some issues with ac or with rain coming in. I suspect ac.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:06 PM

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by okbarnett
I would check with a dealer and see if they have some issues with ac or with rain coming in. I suspect ac.
Is it under warranty? If so, I'd take it to the dealer immediately.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

even if not, the dealer might have heard of that problem
Old 03-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
S63 AMG
I had a Lexus that had a massive leak after 4 years of ownership.... the cowl drain was plugged up and it overflowed to the interior. However, it didn't make it into the rear foot well. That would be a massive amount of water. Have you had the car since new or recently purchased? (I've seen flood damaged/auction vehicles do similar things) Have you had a lot of rain or frequent car washes? If raining and the window didn't move up after the door was closed.....? Unless you park under trees frequently I wouldn't think it's a clogged drain issue. Anyone besides you used the car prior to the swimming pool issue?

The dealer should be able to track it down with a smoke test. Cheap option flip on the AC blower to high with the outside air as an intake source and use soapy water in a spray bottle on the outside of the car to see if you have any window or trim leaks....bubbling excessively when sprayed may give insight.

Please let us know what you find out. This is a major hiccup and I for one would not like to have it replicated in my own c217. Best of luck
Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM

S500 Coupe
So I brought the car in December during the heavy rainy season, not a single issue and come start of march started noticing some lights on the dash, went to mercedes they flashed it and told me it was no problem.

Its really strange cause its only a small patch on the left rear footwell. Looked At the roof liner and never found no wet patches or water markings.

Unfortunately the car isn't under warranty so I'm looking at, what I feel is going to be a higher repair cost.
cars going crazy, doesn't lock randomly flashes headlights when it's not even started. Really stressing me out!

Booked in at mercedes for Friday so I'll update you all once I know more

Thanks for the help though really do appreciate it!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:14 PM

S500 Coupe
So update cars at dealers now, they told me something with the bulkhead is letting water in and the needa take the whole dash out to replace it, also told me to replace the carpets cause of the smell and offered to pay 50% of the cost that they estimating around £3k.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as long as they are guarantee ing it will fix the leak
Old 04-01-2021, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
That price seems reasonable. The only other thing to consider is the electronics in the area of the dampness, they me have begun corroding.