brake rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
brake rotors and pads

has anyone used the Top Euro rotors or pads? Any warping or negative problems?
Old 08-15-2023, 02:23 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
I had a hell of a time finding the correct rotors for my car. I purchased two sets and had them installed only to find out they were incorrect before I just rolled over and paid MB parts for the MB slotted rotors. My advice, be SURE you're getting the correct rotors. My guess is your package might also determine which rotors you need. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I wasted a ton of money with PartsGeek. They wouldn't refund me so I will never purchase anything from them again. Still disputing with my CC. Their website description stated one thing but did not align.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MB S550 Coupe
Quick answer, I have the power stop rotors with EBC ceramic pads and my 5000lb beast stops like a track car. Power Stop has a great rotor set, so long as they are vented and drilled, for the most part rotors are rotors folks, the metallurgy of aftermarket rotors are excellent, exhibit A is MB or AMG rotors ARE NOT GERMAN BLACK FOREST STEEL LIKE THE OLD DAYS, IT'S ALL CHINESIUM END STAGE MANUFACTURING REGARDLESS. THAT SAID AS A GIVEN, the key are the pads, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE CHOICE. EBC Red Stuff stops like a track car and has INSANELY LOWER BRAKE DUST.
Anyone who says otherwise, or worse, recommends OEM doesn't know anything about the physics of brake systems on heavy cars. Our cars violate many aspects of the frictional physics required to stop the sheer mass of a 5000lb GT moving at 100+MPH, which is where you need brakes at that "oh ****" moment of stopped traffic up ahead on the freeway. OEM on a C217 S550 is the recent past AMG Brembo calipers so you're good there, then the rotors should be vented drilled, and mine are slotted which adds an integrated cleaning tool that scrapes the pads to maintain even wear. Beyond that it's all about the brake pad technology. OEM MB are so soft they melt away the pads implying that the pads are the friction modifier providing stopping power as evidenced by the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF DISGUSTING BRAKE DUST, what you miss is that pad compound is so inferior that it will wear a groove into the rotors, long story long, it's a built in MB maintenance scam that ensures you get your $2000 pad rotor fluid change out.

Now listen to an educated real world user, I have a 610 HP 620FtLbs of torque TO THE WHEELS S550 rocket ship in the form of a super luxury plush GT. My girl does 0-60 in 3 seconds and it eats S63's for lunch.
Answer yourself this one question, and this goes to any S63 purest who thinks because they spent $80,000 more they have a better car, THEY DON'T, AT 100+ MPH ON A FREEWAY IT'S A RICKETY HELL RIDE. Whereas my 610HP S550 super luxury grand tourer is a capsule of elegance, power, quiet, and pure comfort.

When's the last time any of us could control a car on a freeway at 150MPH in any setting other than a straight line, NEVER, AND I'M A SKILLED PSYCHO DRIVER. When's the last time any of us would take our fat 5000lb beast to a track day course thus illuminating some slight advantage of S63 over S550? NEVER WOULD WE TAKE OUR 6 FIGURE DAILY DRIVERS AND BURN THE $2000 TIRES OFF IT, AND BURN THE PADS AND ROTORS OFF IT, NEVER, BECAUSE AFTER TURN 12 WE'D HAVE NO BRAKES OR TIRES AT 5000LBS AT THAT SPEED, IT'S BASIC PHYSICS THAT THE WEAKEST LINK WILL FAIL THE FASTEST, I.E. TIRES AND PADS AND ROTORS.

So, now let's have an intelligent conversation of real world parameters. I'm sitting at a light to get on I-95, and a douche in an M5 is next to me and has been whipping in and out of traffic to get to the light. I hit the sport switch and my full 610HP is engaged. With my all wheel drive and 620ftlbs of torque when I mash the pedal it's a blur and BMW douche is a distant thought.

Now, even better, an S63 douche pulls up, again I engage warp and whilst it's close at first 610 all wheel drive hp with that 620 lbs of torque at 1800 RPM just walks away from him.

In Summary, buy an S550, tune the **** out of it because the M278 engine has up to 750hp in it without blowing the rods out of it, then get yourself some EBC rotors and pads, but like me, spend $800 less and get the StopTech Rotors and EBC Red Stuff. AND FOR $80,000.00 LESS YOU HAVE AN S63 KILLER, M5 KILLER, AND WHATEVER ELSE. And then you hit the button and your back to a comfy velvety ride.
OH YEAH PLEASE SEE ATTACHED MY 10 SECOND TICKET FROM PBIR.
Regards,
Alex

Over-tuned, immediately kicked off track for too fast with no safety equipment, immediately de-tuned after, I saw a blur and tunnel vision during the pass, scared the crap out of me.
The following 2 users liked this post by avigo9999:
98cruiser (02-23-2024), wheatswake (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 08:56 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
No arguments there

I did a Renntech tune and I can't believe I hadn't done it sooner. Transformed the car.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CL550
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by avigo9999
Quick answer, I have the power stop rotors with EBC ceramic pads and my 5000lb beast stops like a track car. Power Stop has a great rotor set, so long as they are vented and drilled, for the most part rotors are rotors folks, the metallurgy of aftermarket rotors are excellent, exhibit A is MB or AMG rotors ARE NOT GERMAN BLACK FOREST STEEL LIKE THE OLD DAYS, IT'S ALL CHINESIUM END STAGE MANUFACTURING REGARDLESS. THAT SAID AS A GIVEN, the key are the pads, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE CHOICE. EBC Red Stuff stops like a track car and has INSANELY LOWER BRAKE DUST.
Anyone who says otherwise, or worse, recommends OEM doesn't know anything about the physics of brake systems on heavy cars. Our cars violate many aspects of the frictional physics required to stop the sheer mass of a 5000lb GT moving at 100+MPH, which is where you need brakes at that "oh ****" moment of stopped traffic up ahead on the freeway. OEM on a C217 S550 is the recent past AMG Brembo calipers so you're good there, then the rotors should be vented drilled, and mine are slotted which adds an integrated cleaning tool that scrapes the pads to maintain even wear. Beyond that it's all about the brake pad technology. OEM MB are so soft they melt away the pads implying that the pads are the friction modifier providing stopping power as evidenced by the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF DISGUSTING BRAKE DUST, what you miss is that pad compound is so inferior that it will wear a groove into the rotors, long story long, it's a built in MB maintenance scam that ensures you get your $2000 pad rotor fluid change out.

Now listen to an educated real world user, I have a 610 HP 620FtLbs of torque TO THE WHEELS S550 rocket ship in the form of a super luxury plush GT. My girl does 0-60 in 3 seconds and it eats S63's for lunch.
Answer yourself this one question, and this goes to any S63 purest who thinks because they spent $80,000 more they have a better car, THEY DON'T, AT 100+ MPH ON A FREEWAY IT'S A RICKETY HELL RIDE. Whereas my 610HP S550 super luxury grand tourer is a capsule of elegance, power, quiet, and pure comfort.

When's the last time any of us could control a car on a freeway at 150MPH in any setting other than a straight line, NEVER, AND I'M A SKILLED PSYCHO DRIVER. When's the last time any of us would take our fat 5000lb beast to a track day course thus illuminating some slight advantage of S63 over S550? NEVER WOULD WE TAKE OUR 6 FIGURE DAILY DRIVERS AND BURN THE $2000 TIRES OFF IT, AND BURN THE PADS AND ROTORS OFF IT, NEVER, BECAUSE AFTER TURN 12 WE'D HAVE NO BRAKES OR TIRES AT 5000LBS AT THAT SPEED, IT'S BASIC PHYSICS THAT THE WEAKEST LINK WILL FAIL THE FASTEST, I.E. TIRES AND PADS AND ROTORS.

So, now let's have an intelligent conversation of real world parameters. I'm sitting at a light to get on I-95, and a douche in an M5 is next to me and has been whipping in and out of traffic to get to the light. I hit the sport switch and my full 610HP is engaged. With my all wheel drive and 620ftlbs of torque when I mash the pedal it's a blur and BMW douche is a distant thought.

Now, even better, an S63 douche pulls up, again I engage warp and whilst it's close at first 610 all wheel drive hp with that 620 lbs of torque at 1800 RPM just walks away from him.

In Summary, buy an S550, tune the **** out of it because the M278 engine has up to 750hp in it without blowing the rods out of it, then get yourself some EBC rotors and pads, but like me, spend $800 less and get the StopTech Rotors and EBC Red Stuff. AND FOR $80,000.00 LESS YOU HAVE AN S63 KILLER, M5 KILLER, AND WHATEVER ELSE. And then you hit the button and your back to a comfy velvety ride.
OH YEAH PLEASE SEE ATTACHED MY 10 SECOND TICKET FROM PBIR.
Regards,
Alex

Over-tuned, immediately kicked off track for too fast with no safety equipment, immediately de-tuned after, I saw a blur and tunnel vision during the pass, scared the crap out of me.
NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
What tune do you have and what do you think about Euro Charged tune? Any thing else I really need done beside a tune, not looking to do any crazy Mods. I might keep it for 2yrs or so