Looking to buy this 2015 S550 c217

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' Toyota Celica, 16' Bmw m6 (totaled), 05' Acura TL
Question Looking to buy this 2015 S550 c217

Just came out of a 2016 Bmw M6 GC which sadly got crashed into. Was looking for something similar but more daily friendly as things like the DCT were a little too harsh to daily let alone service items.

I am considering this car from carmax link. Looking at about $1,015 a month incl a 5 year 125k mile bumper to bumper warranty (might get a 100K as it is $5k and not $6k).
The monthly also includes insurance ($170). Asking for advice on whether or not to pull the trigger.
I test drove the car today and it felt like it had a ton of pull from its high torque figure, seats were comfortable but a little too unsupportive? maybe I just got used to the bolstering of the BMW, the adaptive bolstering felt nice when cornering.
I know this car will somewhat cost less in the long run in terms of gas (I got 9 mpg on the m6) and service items but I am still on the fence, 1k a month for 5 years is a big commitment on what is a non amg model or "special" type of car.
Plus the car does not have the 3d audio which worries me, I tried the speakers with the radio but it wasn't very clear (guessing its better with bluetooth or aux, planning to install carplay) but it got plenty loud and had good base (good but not great like the b&o from the bmw)
I like this car, I just want advice from current owners since this is a 2015 on if its worth it or is it too old and I will get bored.
Just to clarify I understand this is not a sports car. I will not really drive it as such, but I like power and good enough handling from time to time in my daily.
Old Today, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S500 Convertible
I have one of these and it’s a great car but with a few gripes.
It doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. You can buy an aftermarket unit but it won’t be fully integrated, eg it won’t show directions on the screen between the dials as the factory unit does.
There’s a Mercedes Me app that allows you to send directions from your phone to your car, unfortunately that has stopped working, I believe Mercedes has shut down that service recently.
It is big! Here in the UK our car parking spaces were designed in the 70’s and so I’m always sticking out.
The rear wheel drive loses traction quickly when fully accelerating on the wet, not a nice feeling in such a big car. But you might be used to that with the M6.
The price looks reasonable, I paid about $50k outright for a 60k miles model, albeit mine is a convertible.

Old Today, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by kongolo
I have one of these and it’s a great car but with a few gripes.
It doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. You can buy an aftermarket unit but it won’t be fully integrated, eg it won’t show directions on the screen between the dials as the factory unit does.
There’s a Mercedes Me app that allows you to send directions from your phone to your car, unfortunately that has stopped working, I believe Mercedes has shut down that service recently.
It is big! Here in the UK our car parking spaces were designed in the 70’s and so I’m always sticking out.
The rear wheel drive loses traction quickly when fully accelerating on the wet, not a nice feeling in such a big car. But you might be used to that with the M6.
The price looks reasonable, I paid about $50k outright for a 60k miles model, albeit mine is a convertible.

Appreciate the response! Im not too worried ab how carplay was restricted to the middle screen as the M6 also had a custom box put in.
I think all U.S versions atleast for c217 were 4 matic so it had no problem putting the power down albiet I am in california so not alot of rain but its a nice change of pace.
Thankfully our parking spaces were made for essentially long bed pickups most of the time so it shouldnt be an issue I doubt it was longer than the GranCoupe I had.
Those are all things I am prepared for but I would say what im still not sure about is if it is special enough. Do you ever get bored of yours?
I feel like the road presence alone of the M6 was monstrous (therefore always exciting) with the very muscular styling and gaping air inlets (let alone the huge quad pipes), so this is quite the departure into a more subtle understated look.
Just worried It would start feeling the same as a c class coupe and the money wont be worth it.
Old Today, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S500 Convertible
It is definitely understated but still has more presence than a C or E class I think. They're also quite rare (at least here) so that makes them a bit unique. It does turn heads though, especially with the V8 burble. If you want something a bit more special, maybe the S63 will fit the bill?
The following users liked this post:
Tea_man (Today)
Old Today, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kongolo
It is definitely understated but still has more presence than a C or E class I think. They're also quite rare (at least here) so that makes them a bit unique. It does turn heads though, especially with the V8 burble. If you want something a bit more special, maybe the S63 will fit the bill?
The s63 is a bit too far out of the price range i want to be in at the moment.
This s550 went from 36k to 44 with warranty and gap. A s63 coupe is about 56k before anything.
I understand if i really wanted special I would do that but at the same time an issue of service cost to daily like parts and just overall comfort.
Im still not sure maybe a push for an s63 is worth it if I can find one but how much more benefit of power do I need?
The s550 with the 4 wheel drive accelerates like the M which had more horsepower and would prob lose only after 70 mph.
It feels more like im just going for the badge, I just feel like I want reassurance from current s550 owners that the car is more than special enough by its own away from amg and other hierarchy.
Old Today, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 S550 cabriolet 2007 SL550 , 2012 C300
Originally Posted by Tea_man
The s63 is a bit too far out of the price range i want to be in at the moment.
This s550 went from 36k to 44 with warranty and gap. A s63 coupe is about 56k before anything.
I understand if i really wanted special I would do that but at the same time an issue of service cost to daily like parts and just overall comfort.
Im still not sure maybe a push for an s63 is worth it if I can find one but how much more benefit of power do I need?
The s550 with the 4 wheel drive accelerates like the M which had more horsepower and would prob lose only after 70 mph.
It feels more like im just going for the badge, I just feel like I want reassurance from current s550 owners that the car is more than special enough by its own away from amg and other hierarchy.
i just recently purchased a 2017 A217 cabriolet RWD and love the car plenty of power. The car is a real head turner I think you would be very happy with the coupe. I traded my SL550 in for the A217 although it certainly doesn’t handle like my SL these S550 are wonderful driving cars
The following users liked this post:
Tea_man (Today)
Old Today, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I can see it doesnt have alot of options.