S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Need help please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300 SDL-T
Lightbulb Need help please!!!!!!!

I just got my car back from the shop after having the oil pan replaced due to an unforseen accident with a unmarked dip in the road, and then from the body shop because someone thought it would be a nice gesture to egg and vandalize it. After getting it back from the shop, I noticed a very nasty odor coming from the vents when I put the heater/blower on. I spoke with a guy at the auto shop and he indicated I might have gotten a mouse or other rodent in the system and it may have died.

I have a 1987 300 SDL, and live in Wyoming. Winter is fast approaching an I need to get this resolved VERY VERY SOON. I am a novice when it comes to repair, but would like to get some ideas or a place to start so I can pinpoint the problem.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Old 11-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
The only place that I think a rodent would be laying is here:

Put the hodo straight up for better access and look at the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windsheild. It comes out like this if my memory serves me.

1. At the base of the wiper arms is a plastic cover. This cover lifts up and reveals a nut. Remove the nut and with a little effort the wiper arm should come off the splined shaft of the motor.

2. next you need to remove the rubber whether stripping that runs along the inside fire wall. It just pulles right up.

3. After that the cowl should just come right up with a bit of work. I havn't done mine in at least a year so use caution.

With teh plastic removed you will see the intake for the blower motor on the passengers side. A mouse could have gotten in and died their.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Hattaresguy
The only place that I think a rodent would be laying is here:

Put the hodo straight up for better access and look at the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windsheild. It comes out like this if my memory serves me.

1. At the base of the wiper arms is a plastic cover. This cover lifts up and reveals a nut. Remove the nut and with a little effort the wiper arm should come off the splined shaft of the motor.

2. next you need to remove the rubber whether stripping that runs along the inside fire wall. It just pulles right up.

3. After that the cowl should just come right up with a bit of work. I havn't done mine in at least a year so use caution.

With teh plastic removed you will see the intake for the blower motor on the passengers side. A mouse could have gotten in and died their.

Good luck.
I thought about this as well, but it is very unlikely that a rodent somehow got into the blower intake and is rotting away in there.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:39 PM

It could happen I have seen mice in stranger places. Something is dead somewhere under there pop the hood and follow your nose.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

I had something similar happen to my Dad's 560sel, check the air filter casing-- found a mouse's nest in there, it appeared to have climbed up the air intake hose. Also, if you have rodent problems, i recommend getting your engine steam-cleaned every once in a while- it works wonders.

Good Luck
Old 01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I'm trying to replace my windshield wiper motor. but I'm having trouble lifting up that plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm. I tried prying it off with a screwdriver but it won't move. The wiper arms are in the middle of the windshield because the wiper died in the middle of a wipe. Could this be why I can't lift the cap? If so, how can I move the wiper arms? They're stuck in that position.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Those covers are really on their tight you just need to force them up. I found that if you pull the wiper arm up away from the windshield they sometimes come off easyer.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Thanks, I finally got the covers off and the nuts, but I can't get the wiper arms off. I've been trying to pry away at it for a while now, whats the best way to get this off? I also sprayed some wd40 on there so hopefully that'll help.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Wd40 is junk get a real oil on their like PB blaster, liquid wrench or break away.

The wipers are on a splined stainless shaft. And because of this they corrode on. I had to tap mine a bit with a hammer to break them lose, just be very carefull if you decide to try that!!