S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Semi - remaking of engine underway.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 MB 300SE
Semi - remaking of engine underway.

well first of all there was the issue of exhaust smell at high way speeds. mechanic said that there was oil leaking from three specific places so they will replace all the seals involved. then there was smoke coming from the exhaust when the engine was floored while driving or revved high in neutral by the mechanic, so they said they will change the piston rings... one thing lead to another and hence:
changing the following:

1. Pistons - all six of them. Going with alternate german company coz originals cost three times much, but we have been told that the other ones work just as well. the old pistons ( well 5 out of the six) have a thin layer of black sedimentation on the top. which is basically oil getting compressed and settling down on the piston head for atleast a year, according to the mechanic.

2. Piston rings- the old ones got..umm.. old

3. Piston bearings.

4. for the engine head... they are going to open it up and check the valves, guides whatever.. and change whatever is needed to be changed accordingly. obviously all seals and gaskets involved in points 1-4 are being replaced.

so what i want to know is: is everything seemingly being taken care of? is there anything else that should be looked at now that the engine is wide open?

mechanic says with this repair and with the rest of the cars good condition... we are looking at atleast another 250000 kms trouble free driving.. is that possible or is he justifying the bill he is gonna give us in the end?

your expert opinioins are obviously welcomed here!!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Hmm i would stick with the original pistons. Quality is there from the old Mercs. Well since everything is going to be out, why not get the heads done now and get alll the gaskets replaced ? Make it a complete rebuilt- and you should be good to go for another20 years !
Old 07-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
actually yeh gaskets are being replaced. original pistons were " shaky" according to the mechanic so he says its better to replaced them, he even called another guy to check on them, and he also agreed. btw the bore and the crankshaft are in very good shape. just the pistons and rings and stuff need attention. the head is also getting work done on it. it was being sent to the machining people the last time i checked. so i guess this is a complete make over in the end.

anything else?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Banned

F248 F1
How about the transmission ? The first transmission of my car failed with about 200k. I heard they usually need a rebuilt at about 150k.... btw do you have pics of your car ?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
pics: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w126/153388-tinted-headlights-anyone.html

trans already done.. clutches replaced too. guess that should cover it?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
How about , new fuel pump , oil pump , water pump and radiator...and hoses.And since everything else is out.....heater core , a/c compressor.Now THAT should cover it.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Yes i was going to recm water pump hmm
Basicly engine rebuilt
Tranny rebuilt
The list C43AMG suggested
Front suspension wear and tear components... thats about it ... and you have new Benz!

BTW Wowmb! Your car is the same color as mine ! i love it ! Paint the grill black ! Makes the green so much nicer !
Old 07-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
"How about , new fuel pump , oil pump , water pump and radiator...and hoses.And since everything else is out.....heater core , a/c compressor.Now THAT should cover it."

fuel pump, oil pump water pump, radiator: those have been done along the line of the past 2 yrs, i think they are still in top shape.

heater core , a/c compressor: whats a heater core ? and my genius mechanic changed the compressor a while back to that of a nissan maxima's, its going strong without any problems.

the machining people said the valves are in top shapeand hence gonna keep them, after all originals are the best. the valve seating is gonna get som e work done on it, other than that the head is faakin supa!.

thnks again for your input!!!

EDIT:
"Yes i was going to recm water pump hmm
Basicly engine rebuilt
Tranny rebuilt
The list C43AMG suggested
Front suspension wear and tear components... thats about it ... and you have new Benz!

BTW Wowmb! Your car is the same color as mine ! i love it ! Paint the grill black ! Makes the green so much nicer !"

YEH im gonna paint the grill soon... just not finding the right kind of paint ( kryon for plastics, bulldog brands are not easily available here... donno where to find them where i live. )

this may sound crazy, but you know those little 4 watt bulbs in the front head lights? i panited the bulbs green. i swear, when you turn the fog lights on with out the main headlights, it looks pimpin!!!!

i would post piks but my web cam doesnt catch the light properly. it looks white in pics!! once i get a good cam i will post. i used krylon kids stuff paint for it. tested it first on 60 w bulb to see what happens when bulb gets hot..nothing. so i used it!!

Last edited by wowmb; 07-20-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

F248 F1
nice mod with the lights!! i might have to go buy some just for kicksto try it out !
Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
engine remake done. gonna drive for 500 kms nice and easy on cheap oil so that the new components can break in properly with the engine.

it very very smooth now, and most importantly.. NO SMELL AT highway speeds!!

and heres a little info :

for those who have a problem with high engine temperatures in rush hour traffic, check your fan clutch ( dont know if its the correct term, but basically your fan may be working at a slower speed because it has old bearings or something.) mine had the same issue. but now after fixing it the temperature always remains between 80 and the 100 mark in traffic.

hope it helps people with the same problem.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you going to switch to synthetic oil after the "break-in" ?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
im not good with the knowledge of oils being synthetic or not. we normally use mobil 20w50 here in the gulf. thats synthetic right? do you have any suggestions? remember... its very very hot here.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wowmb
im not good with the knowledge of oils being synthetic or not. we normally use mobil 20w50 here in the gulf. thats synthetic right? do you have any suggestions? remember... its very very hot here.
Go here : http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/.../Homepage.aspx

FWIW : I plugged in your car and it came back with : Mobil 1 0w-30.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Go here : http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/.../Homepage.aspx

FWIW : I plugged in your car and it came back with : Mobil 1 0w-30.

yeh it would give 10w 30 considering the fact that it will assume cooler climes.. but every car here uses 20w 50. its even hard to get 10 w 30, which is also the recommended oil for my camry. but we put 20w50 in it instead, and it runs great at low temps all the time.

cant wait to change oil in the merc and floor the beast!!! even with easy throttle pushing the car lunges forward...hehehehehhee