S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Performance Air Filter (1984 500SEC)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Air Filter (1984 500SEC)

Hi all,

A friend recently removed the airfilter (briefly!) from my '84 500SEC to demonstrate the engine sound without it. I was literally blown away! He suggested replacing it with a sports/ high performance air filter.

What impact (besides engine sound) will this have? Will it increase fuel consumption?

Can anybody suggest such a filter and where to get it.

(Is it something like this that I'm after? http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-2872)

Thanks in advance,

Les
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 AM

280SE W116, 500SEL W126
I have a Simota ( http://www.simota.com/pro_list_fi.php ) pod filter in in my 500SEL but didn't really notice any change in fuel economy or performance until I had a free flow exhaust fitted
Since then I have interchanged the stock filter with the pod to see if I could tell much difference, there is a little bit more throttle response with the pod fitted so it gives the impression of more power but that is about it, also the exhaust has a nice 'crackle' when the throttle is lifted
The only major noticable difference is in the sound, with the pod producing a quite audible suction sound, turning into a roar under hard acceleration

I expect I'll go back to the 'pancake' airbox with perhaps a K&N filter inside as I'm worried the pod is letting to much fine particle debris into the engine
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Not much difference

[QUOTE=lessteaks;1845750]Hi all,

A friend recently removed the airfilter (briefly!) from my '84 500SEC to demonstrate the engine sound without it. I was literally blown away! He suggested replacing it with a sports/ high performance air filter.

What impact (besides engine sound) will this have? Will it increase fuel consumption?

Can anybody suggest such a filter and where to get it.

(Is it something like this that I'm after? http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-2872)

Thanks in advance,
Les:

I tried a K & N filter into the aluminum "pan" and did not notice a lot of difference. It is safe to use. Even after oiling the filter the oil cannot drip down into the intake (in newer cars this can ruin the "hot wire" in the intake). I then took off both resonators (located under the rear seats) put in twin straight pipes and find that it makes a difference. Quicker response and a sporty V-8 sound.

I think using the mushroom head pod is not a good idea as it has to stay inside the engine bay. The 560 SEL has twin snorkels going all the way to the front of the car to suck in cold air.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a few:)
These engines are generally starved for air so I believe K&N's are a good idea.

Just be Very careful in oiling them..I like to give the oil on the filter a few hours to migrate before checking/re-oiling.. The extreme propensity is to over oil :-/

Jonathan
Old 11-23-2006, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by jhodg5kc
These engines are generally starved for air so I believe K&N's are a good idea.

Just be Very careful in oiling them..I like to give the oil on the filter a few hours to migrate before checking/re-oiling.. The extreme propensity is to over oil :-/

Jonathan
will I ruin anything if I dont "oil" my filter?? I dont even know what you guys mean by "oiling"?

someone care to explain??
Old 11-23-2006, 01:37 PM

1984 500 Sec and 2001 S500
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
will I ruin anything if I dont "oil" my filter?? I dont even know what you guys mean by "oiling"?

someone care to explain??
I have considered but never purchased a K/N filter. Could not justify the expense because I still prefer to change filters often. Keepin' it clean so to speak.
Anyway, from what I know, K/N filters are reusable. You clean them then you have to apply a special K/N oil to the element which aids in trapping dust particles. They actually are supposed to work pretty good. But I just do not have the patience to wait the time needed to let the oil work it's way into the filter.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
OEM is good

Originally Posted by cdplayer
I have considered but never purchased a K/N filter. Could not justify the expense because I still prefer to change filters often. Keepin' it clean so to speak.
Anyway, from what I know, K/N filters are reusable. You clean them then you have to apply a special K/N oil to the element which aids in trapping dust particles. They actually are supposed to work pretty good. But I just do not have the patience to wait the time needed to let the oil work it's way into the filter.
Agreed. The K & N is good too but needs to be washed and oiled with their special oil when dirty. I bought one but cannot find noticeable improvement from stock so I switched back to OEM. What you can do also is to dust and vacuum the paper element and rotate it by a 30 degrees every month so the clean areas of the filter is next to the air snorkel entry points.

Vacuum the whole aluminum pan too. Lots of dead insects, dirt and salt.

Finish the whole thing by spraying down the butterfly with a fuel injector cleaner while someone revs the engine. Make sure you are not standing in front of but at the side of the car so you do not get run over.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:44 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a few:)
Yes, you will ruin things if you do not oil your K&N, namely your engine. The oil is what's used to trap/hold the dirt in place. W/o it your filter is doing a Very sub standard job..

As for feeling a K&N you won't..but on the dyno I always see @ least a couple of HP when I swap from standard paper.. Tested on 5 different 560's now, results always the same.

Jonathan
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by jhodg5kc
Yes, you will ruin things if you do not oil your K&N, namely your engine. The oil is what's used to trap/hold the dirt in place. W/o it your filter is doing a Very sub standard job..

As for feeling a K&N you won't..but on the dyno I always see @ least a couple of HP when I swap from standard paper.. Tested on 5 different 560's now, results always the same.

Jonathan
ah ok, so you guys are talking about k&n. I thought you guys were reffering to stock filters....whew