S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

how do 126 heads respond to portwork?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
how do 126 heads respond to portwork?

Hey folks,
does anyone know how 126 gas heads respond to a little portwork?

I heard that the heads themselves were relatively efficient when bone stock but I have the opportunity to maybe do a little port work but wanted to see if it is worth the effort.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
sounds exciting

Originally Posted by bcmbcmbcm
Hey folks,

I heard that the heads themselves were relatively efficient when bone stock but I have the opportunity to maybe do a little port work but wanted to see if it is worth the effort.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
I would like to do some minor power enhancing things to my car too. Bigger injectors? headers from a European model? The problem is the car's age and make. There are not a lot of suppliers catering to cars of this vintage and we have to improvise. Porting is a good idea as no parts are needed. What about extrude honing? Re-routing the exhaust gases with "plates" like the hot rodders so that with a flip of these the cats and mufflers are by-passed totally?

Please keep us informed of your research and work.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:48 PM

380 SEL 1982
I am certainly no expert but my experience is that upgrades are usually best when done in a combination, (like heads, cams,
and intake) and that simply doing one (like heads only, bigger injectors only) don't really yield any benefits. That said,
there are times when there is a 'bottleneck' in the system that can help all on its own. In my mustang, the stock heads outflow
the stock intake, so doing just the heads won't really help. Mild portwork is appealing because as you said no parts are required
and it is just a matter of finishing by hand what mass production won't do because it is too cost prohibitive. If nothing else
I would think that it would improve efficiency and smoothness.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're exactly right

It's not rocket science......ther'e only three things to approach:

1. Air in (porting intake manifold, ram or cold air intake, etc)
2. Fuel in (new ECU software, injectors, cams, etc)
3. Exhaust out (exhaust manifold, hi flow cats, mandrel lareger diamter exhaust, etc)

And again, you are right in that just doing one of those only results in a noticeable gain when you are removing a bottleneck. For example, you have good airflow in, properly sized injectors and fuel mapping/pump, but very restrictive exhaust manifolds and a lousy exhaust.

So in the above example, opening up the exhaust flow will release a good amount of power that was trapped in the inefficient part of the system.

Not to rain on the parade, but the W126 is fairly efficient to begin with.....it's rare that you will see much above 10%-15% power gain even attacking all three areas. The cost vs. HP ratio is not that great.

Forced induction on these motors is the best ratio in terms of cost per HP, but it's expensive to do (and therefore gives a lot of power). I know of a guy that did a supercharger for a 560 motor.....BIG power (150+HP increase with headers) at around $6K cost. But to me, that's better than 25HP at $2K cost for porting and exhaust side work.

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 12-05-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by brucem
It's not rocket science......ther'e only three things to approach:

1. Air in (porting intake manifold, ram or cold air intake, etc)
2. Fuel in (new ECU software, injectors, cams, etc)
3. Exhaust out (exhaust manifold, hi flow cats, mandrel lareger diamter exhaust, etc)

And again, you are right in that just doing one of those only results in a noticeable gain when you are removing a bottleneck. For example, you have good airflow in, properly sized injectors and fuel mapping/pump, but very restrictive exhaust manifolds and a lousy exhaust.

So in the above example, opening up the exhaust flow will release a good amount of power that was trapped in the inefficient part of the system.
__________________________________________________ _________

Not to rain on the parade, but the W126 is fairly efficient to begin with.....it's rare that you will see much above 10%-15% power gain even attacking all three areas. The cost vs. HP ratio is not that great.

Forced induction on these motors is the best ratio in terms of cost per HP, but it's expensive to do (and therefore gives a lot of power). I know of a guy that did a supercharger for a 560 motor.....BIG power (150+HP increase with headers) at around $6K cost. But to me, that's better than 25HP at $2K cost for porting and exhaust side work.

Bruce
What about swapping a European grey import non-catalyst motor? I guess they are as rare as hen's teeth. You should visit the mbcoupe.com site.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 PM

not stock.
on my 5.0L M117 engine I installed a K&N air filter, ported and polished the heads, intalled european exhaust manifolds, and did a custom header-back exhaust system with no cats, 2.25" dual piping, flow master delta flow 40 series mufflers and 4" round magnaflow straight through resonators.......

I also modified the OEM thermostat for better cooling, added Flex-a-Light #210 dual electric fan kit & eliminated the OEM fan clutch, and added an MSD 6AL ignition amplifier and set the rev-limiter to 6200rpm......

all these with a freshly over-hauld engine with european compression... the car runs very very smooth and strong!!

btw, the car is a 1986 300SE that began as my project car, since the engine and tranny were junk, they were swapped out for a 500 engine....
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OJwerks
on my 5.0L M117 engine I installed a K&N air filter, ported and polished the heads, intalled european exhaust manifolds, and did a custom header-back exhaust system with no cats, 2.25" dual piping, flow master delta flow 40 series mufflers and 4" round magnaflow straight through resonators.......

I also modified the OEM thermostat for better cooling, added Flex-a-Light #210 dual electric fan kit & eliminated the OEM fan clutch, and added an MSD 6AL ignition amplifier and set the rev-limiter to 6200rpm......

all these with a freshly over-hauld engine with european compression... the car runs very very smooth and strong!!

btw, the car is a 1986 300SE that began as my project car, since the engine and tranny were junk, they were swapped out for a 500 engine....
Your car sounds great. Is the M117 engine the DOHC 32 valve one with 320 horses in the 500E? If so the engine would also have catalytic converters. Where did you get the European spec parts? Do they do headers for my W126 560 SEL?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
The 500E has the M119 V8 motor in it. The M117 is the one preceding it. Tough old motors those things are. Nice upgrades!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,

Brett
short answer, yes. RENNTech always included porting in addition to increased displacement on M103s, and M116/117s. if i remember correctly, they determined its worth 20hp or more depending on application.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A lot of dough for 20 horses

Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
short answer, yes. RENNTech always included porting in addition to increased displacement on M103s, and M116/117s. if i remember correctly, they determined its worth 20hp or more depending on application.
This sounds like a lot of money for little hp gains. Maybe a combination of European headers, free-flow custom exhaust system, cold air intake and chopping off the cats can result in 10 horses?

I have also read about some cam swap which is also pricey. You should go to mbcoupe.com and see some of the cars there.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:35 AM

380 SEL 1982
not a lot of money...sort of

if you are doing the heads already adding mild portwork adds little to the total cost. I don't think I would rip off perfectly good heads just to port though.

I already replaced both cats with a magnaflow cat and a 2" pipe going to an aftermarket center muffler/resonator and a walker application speficic muffler with custom bent s tips because the walker tips were crimp bent and very ugly.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by harkgar
This sounds like a lot of money for little hp gains. Maybe a combination of European headers, free-flow custom exhaust system, cold air intake and chopping off the cats can result in 10 horses?

I have also read about some cam swap which is also pricey. You should go to mbcoupe.com and see some of the cars there.
european headers alone are worth 25hp on the m117.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
if you are doing the heads already adding mild portwork adds little to the total cost. I don't think I would rip off perfectly good heads just to port though.

I already replaced both cats with a magnaflow cat and a 2" pipe going to an aftermarket center muffler/resonator and a walker application speficic muffler with custom bent s tips because the walker tips were crimp bent and very ugly.
i was thinking along the lines of a "to do" as part of a comprehensive engine build.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is your Magnaflow cat W126 specific? The pre-cat is almost vertically mounted and there is little room to put anything bigger there. There is plenty of room after the big cat under the front seats.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:02 PM

380 SEL 1982
Originally Posted by harkgar
Is your Magnaflow cat W126 specific? The pre-cat is almost vertically mounted and there is little room to put anything bigger there. There is plenty of room after the big cat under the front seats.

No the Magnaflow cat I am running is not W126 specific. It is a universal cat that is roughly the same dimensions as the stock W126 main cat (not the pre-conv) but with a bigger inlet/outlet diameter.

My exhaust person installed this in a pipe from the exhaust manifold to the aftermarket center muffler I am running.