S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

85 500sel hard cold start, after start runs fine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Question 85 500sel hard cold start, after start runs fine

My 500sel fires on initial try, but dies. Then have to use starting fluid to get it to fire up. Once car warms up it runs and starts fine. Any ideas what could keep it from starting right up on first couple cold start tries?

Also, the car does not hold steady idle, it fluctuates up and down, and will stall-out when it goes down to 500- rpms.

The shop mechanic broke off the Fuel Distributor Air Flow Meter Adjustment unit because it was striped inside. I bought a new one and installed it, and adjusted best I could. He also replaced my fuel filter and plugs. But I still have the same issue with the car not starting without starting fluid. So whatever was wrong before is still the issue now. Cost me $550 to be in same spot.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 300SE, '91 350SDL turbodiesel, '91 420SEL, Ford Ranger EDGE
Originally Posted by ChamaRiver
My 500sel fires on initial try, but dies. Then have to use starting fluid to get it to fire up. Once car warms up it runs and starts fine. Any ideas what could keep it from starting right up on first couple cold start tries?

Also, the car does not hold steady idle, it fluctuates up and down, and will stall-out when it goes down to 500- rpms.

The shop mechanic broke off the Fuel Distributor Air Flow Meter Adjustment unit because it was striped inside. I bought a new one and installed it, and adjusted best I could. He also replaced my fuel filter and plugs. But I still have the same issue with the car not starting without starting fluid. So whatever was wrong before is still the issue now. Cost me $550 to be in same spot.
That sucks.

You have a cluster f**k problem.

Adjust the flow meter after you get it running with starter fluid.

After adjustment, pull the fuelpump relay and take note of any changes. If no changes, check the OVP (overvoltage protection unit/fuse)

The top of the OVP has a #10 fuse in it. Pull and check to see if its burnt out.
Replace if burnt out. Then remove full unit, take note of any changes. If no changes, check your coldstart valve.

Go thru these first and if there is no change, We can try some other options.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
85 MB 500sel starting issue

Originally Posted by RyanRichter
That sucks.

You have a cluster f**k problem.

Adjust the flow meter after you get it running with starter fluid.

After adjustment, pull the fuelpump relay and take note of any changes. If no changes, check the OVP (overvoltage protection unit/fuse)

The top of the OVP has a #10 fuse in it. Pull and check to see if its burnt out.
Replace if burnt out. Then remove full unit, take note of any changes. If no changes, check your coldstart valve.

Go thru these first and if there is no change, We can try some other options.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, I got the car started and then adjusted the fuel enrichment at the best (smooth) running position. When I pull the fuel pump relay the engine stops running. I had a backup fuel pump relay and tried it and the same thing happened. I checked the fuse on top of the OVP and it is good. I will try to start the car later today after it cools down to see if it will start cold. At this point the engine only fluctuates slightly, but it is warm now.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Hi Ryan, I got the car started and then adjusted the fuel enrichment at the best (smooth) running position. When I pull the fuel pump relay the engine stops running. I had a backup fuel pump relay and tried it and the same thing happened. I checked the fuse on top of the OVP and it is good. I will try to start the car later today after it cools down to see if it will start cold. At this point the engine only fluctuates slightly, but it is warm now.
Sounds like you might just be running lean on the coldstart.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
lean on cold start

Sounds like you might just be running lean on the coldstart.
Is there an adjustment, or do I need to change the cold start valve? I have a spare. But it looks like there is one valve near the rear of the engine and another near the front of the fuel distributor.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Is there an adjustment, or do I need to change the cold start valve? I have a spare. But it looks like there is one valve near the rear of the engine and another near the front of the fuel distributor.
Im pretty sure you can adjust it, and I dont know if yours has 2. I really only know the m103/m104 motors.

Ryan
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Cold Start Valve Adjustment

Im pretty sure you can adjust it, and I dont know if yours has 2. I really only know the m103/m104 motors.

Ryan
Ryan, There was no adjustment on the cold start valve. I did adjust the fuel enrichment a little more and was able to get the car to start with out starting fluid. But idle is down to 500, and dies occasionally when it dips below that. I noticed a strange thing, when my car idles the needle on the "Economy" gauge is in the red (about at the half way point on gauge), and pegs the top red area with just a little pedal. But the car runs smooth, except the idling/start issue.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Ryan, There was no adjustment on the cold start valve. I did adjust the fuel enrichment a little more and was able to get the car to start with out starting fluid. But idle is down to 500, and dies occasionally when it dips below that. I noticed a strange thing, when my car idles the needle on the "Economy" gauge is in the red (about at the half way point on gauge), and pegs the top red area with just a little pedal. But the car runs smooth, except the idling/start issue.
Your right! I checked my coldstart after I sent that and found that I had lied to you! sorry!

My motor does that when The OVP is on the fritz! when its running pop the OVP out of its little holder. manualy throttle the motor and tap the OVP against the sheet metal. if it clicks over and runs better then REPLACE the OVP!

Ryan
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Your right! I checked my coldstart after I sent that and found that I had lied to you! sorry!

My motor does that when The OVP is on the fritz! when its running pop the OVP out of its little holder. manualy throttle the motor and tap the OVP against the sheet metal. if it clicks over and runs better then REPLACE the OVP!

Ryan
Ryan, I pulled the OVP while the car was running and the engine did not stop but did appear to idle smoother and did not fluctuate up and down. When I put the OVP back in the engine accelerated at first then idled down and went back to idling with a slight fluctuation. Rapped the unit on solid surface also. The fuse is good.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:27 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Ryan, I ran out and removed the OVP and started the car, it started without the OVP installed, but noticed the idle was now at 1,100rpms. I revved it up and the engine again came back to 1,100rpms and idled smooth at that high idle. Is there any way to test this OVP?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Ryan, I pulled the OVP while the car was running and the engine did not stop but did appear to idle smoother and did not fluctuate up and down. When I put the OVP back in the engine accelerated at first then idled down and went back to idling with a slight fluctuation. Rapped the unit on solid surface also. The fuse is good.
Not sure why the motor would run smoother. It still sounds like the OVP is bad.

I dont know how to test it any further than to find a working used OVP and trying it. That or buy a new unit.

Ryan
Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Cool OVP Replace New, No Change

Not sure why the motor would run smoother. It still sounds like the OVP is bad.

I dont know how to test it any further than to find a working used OVP and trying it. That or buy a new unit.

Ryan
I got the new Overload (Voltage) Protection Relay and installed today. As soon as I started the car it idled for about 5 seconds then shut down. Just like someone turns off the key. So the OVP was not the answer.

Also, I have to hold the petal down a little when fist starting from sitting all night for it to start and hold without immediately dieing.

Once the car has been warmed up it starts and idles (usually) ok, though sometimes the idle runs at around 1200rpms, when normally the idle is at 750rpms. And when driving the engine runs very smooth.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 PM

I got the new Overload (Voltage) Protection Relay and installed today. As soon as I started the car it idled for about 5 seconds then shut down. Just like someone turns off the key. So the OVP was not the answer.

Also, I have to hold the petal down a little when fist starting from sitting all night for it to start and hold without immediately dieing.

Once the car has been warmed up it starts and idles (usually) ok, though sometimes the idle runs at around 1200rpms, when normally the idle is at 750rpms. And when driving the engine runs very smooth.
so my 300 was doing the EXACT same thing. runs poorly wont start or start lit i replaced fule relay and ovp and a host of other things. i still have to hold petal on a cold start. so im stumped! i hope the ovp wasnt too hard on your wallet.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
OVP Replacement

Hey Ryan, no problem, can always use an extra to put in the truck just in case it is needed one, these do go bad.

Obviously the problem has to do with cold starting because once the car has warmed up it starts normally.