S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

W126 500 SE 1982 engine idle shaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W126 500 SE 170 KW
W126 500 SE 1982 engine idle shaking

Hello Gentlemen,

I need your help regading a problem on my car that I've tried to solve since 2 years ago.

I'm owner of a W126 500 SE 1982 european versione 170Kw with no catalitic coverter (Engine M117963)

After a thousand of jobs done, The engine is still shaking only in idle. I've swapped all this parts:

- Spark Plugs cables (Bosch)
- Rotor brush by Bosch
- swapped 3 times all spark plugs with NO resistor version (Tried Bosch, Denso and Beru).
- New distibutor cap (Bremi one first time and now a brand new Bosch)
- all fuel injectors have been reppaced with original Bosch and also new seal.
- K jetronic refurbished and tested
- New OVP Relay
- Earthground checked
- Idle valve and related electronic module checked.
- Cilinder compression tested and are all ok
- New Bosch coil
- Tried to swap the TSZ module with a brand Hella one

Also the car has been checked by two mechanics but tit still has the same problem: when engine in idle it shacking a little bit and disappear when go up 1000 rpm.

I've tried to read forum all around the world but honestly I do not have any other idea on how to solve it.

Please do you have any suggestion or check to be done?

Many thanks from Italy.

Daniele
Old 07-17-2023, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 721 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W126 forum...
Old 07-18-2023, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 683 Likes on 506 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
timing?
Old 07-18-2023, 06:23 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
Originally Posted by ygmn
timing?
Hello Mate,
If yuo're referring to the ignition timing has been checked and set to 15° degrees in advance as reported in the worskshop manual

So in idle with vacuum is now 15° degrees. and 12° degrees without vacuum at 1500 rpm.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
reading your list seems you checked everything but maybe:

how old is fuel and is it ethanol free?
you know full tank with good fuel?
Old 07-19-2023, 06:39 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
reading your list seems you checked everything but maybe:

how old is fuel and is it ethanol free?
you know full tank with good fuel?
Dear ygmn, that's a good question anyway: the car is driven everyday since 3 years ago when I bought it. In Italy we have only 98RON standard and I believe is ethanol free. Also I use to refule only on branded gas station such as: ENI, Q8 etc....

The only doubt is about the Hydraulic pin, part number
A1160500480
As far as I know if worn could inpact on valve lifter. Some owners had this problems and when replaced they solve it.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
you can remove valve covers and rockers to inspect those..
HEck should have been as part of rocker adjustment. ya feel the ball getting scored up.
But I can say back when these cars were newer and I Was a kid working on them we never changed this part.
We would remove heads replace head gasket and freshen head parts by dis-assembling and cleaning valves and inspecting and then having head machined and valve seats redone and then reinstal valves with the seating past and use that little vacuum cup on a stick to grind the valve back side to head seat to ensure a good seal.

Maybe need old school Shop Igntion checking machine
We had one on wheels, big a large tool box but would hook up exhaust sensor to measure for lean or rich.
Spark plug lead clamp type sensors to check spark timing of each cylinder and other things...

I dunno... maybe go back thru what you have done - and check for a bad part?
It happens where you get a broken new part.

No intake leak?
I would need to be there to suggest anymore with beer in hand

Old 07-19-2023, 07:30 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
you can remove valve covers and rockers to inspect those..
HEck should have been as part of rocker adjustment. ya feel the ball getting scored up.
But I can say back when these cars were newer and I Was a kid working on them we never changed this part.
We would remove heads replace head gasket and freshen head parts by dis-assembling and cleaning valves and inspecting and then having head machined and valve seats redone and then reinstal valves with the seating past and use that little vacuum cup on a stick to grind the valve back side to head seat to ensure a good seal.

Maybe need old school Shop Igntion checking machine
We had one on wheels, big a large tool box but would hook up exhaust sensor to measure for lean or rich.
Spark plug lead clamp type sensors to check spark timing of each cylinder and other things...

I dunno... maybe go back thru what you have done - and check for a bad part?
It happens where you get a broken new part.

No intake leak?
I would need to be there to suggest anymore with beer in hand
WOW, I'm 100% agreed with you. Car has 190,000KM and is 41 years old so probably refresh heads, valves and all other parts is probably the best job to do.

Also yea, you're right. I have friends that after replace cables, spark plugs, thermostat etc.... found one of this not working properly!!! and them were brand new.

Anyway yes probably using and oscilloscope I could verify the signal on ignition cabling that were replaced with brand new Bosch but not 100% sure they were working.

Many thanks mate.....really appreciated your kindest help and sorry for my english not very good. Daniele
Old 07-20-2023, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 07-27-2023, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 497 Likes on 371 Posts
222 S-65
1982.... Pulse generator in the distributor?

Check that the distributor does does not have excessive shaft wear such that you can grab the ignition rotor and move the shaft side to side. Will make odd things happen at low speeds in particular. Bushings for the distributor were readily available when I was fiddling with them 25 years ago. Monitor the signal made by the pulse generator and compare with what you see on an old school oscilloscope that is monitoring ignition primary and secondary. Coils get lazy, ignition boxes too. Lower the engine speed the more noticeable it is.

A flat cam lobe is not usually noticed at idle; but the tick-tick-tick of that rocker arm will be.

You didn’t mention fresh engine mounts. They help.

Last edited by JohnLane; 07-27-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:46 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
Hello gentlemen,

just an update: yesterday my mechanic swapped the injector holder with all 8 new one!!!
Unfortunately the previous mechanic ( As i mentioned in the car history) when replaced the injectors He has damaged the grommet.
The car was running as a tractor so I called a frined in MB and ordered all new injectors grommet.
Tomorrow will be the "day" and finger crossed, hope to solve this problem for ever!!!!

Very long story but I learned that injetors, holders and grommet are very critical and must be very careful when replacing.

Thanks all you guys and let you know tomorrow!!

Greting from Rome!!
Old 08-03-2023, 02:35 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
FINALLY WE GOT IT!!!!!!!

Hello gentlemen,
here we go!!! The car is now perfect and you know what????
3 years ago, the mechanic installed the injector grommet wrongly and the seal was worn.

Anyway now ids runnign very smoothly, no more shaking in idle and i believe looks like to be brand new.
As sson as possible I will post the "coin test" putting it on the head while running in idle !

I would like to give my thanks to all and I really appreciated suggestion, indication and mainly how you're so expert!!

Many thanks
Old 08-07-2023, 06:20 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
One more question on EGR valve

Dear Friends,

as I told all, now the engine is running quite perfect afetr we replacing the injectors holder and grommet.

But anyway I used the car during this weekend and in dile and with transmission in idle ther's still a little shacking.

Just reading the workshop manual, If the EGR valve remaining open, this could effect the idle.

I know how to test it using a vacuum machine. Anyway does anyone had problems on W126 woth EGR valve? And what type of problems?

Many thanks to all. Daniele
Old 09-02-2023, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 497 Likes on 371 Posts
222 S-65
EGR reduces temperatures in the cylinder by adding inert gas to take up space when the mixture gets lit. This reduces formation of Oxides of Nitrogen.
In practice as things get old EGR passages and the valve itself get plugged up with carbon. This can make for zero flow or a leaking EGR valve which can make for low power and a rough idle. Apply vacuum to the EGR valve at idle. Idle drops or it stalls? EGR is able to flow. Checking for a small leak is best done with a temperature toy you point at the base of the EGR valve after starting from cold. Does it very quickly heat up at idle? If so it is leaking.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:35 AM

W126 500 SE 170 KW
Originally Posted by JohnLane
EGR reduces temperatures in the cylinder by adding inert gas to take up space when the mixture gets lit. This reduces formation of Oxides of Nitrogen.
In practice as things get old EGR passages and the valve itself get plugged up with carbon. This can make for zero flow or a leaking EGR valve which can make for low power and a rough idle. Apply vacuum to the EGR valve at idle. Idle drops or it stalls? EGR is able to flow. Checking for a small leak is best done with a temperature toy you point at the base of the EGR valve after starting from cold. Does it very quickly heat up at idle? If so it is leaking.
Dear John, sorry for my delay. No, teh temp raise normally. Anyway I've tested the EGR and after 41 years it'n not roking anymore but "VERY IMPORTANT" remain completely closed.
Anyway the car, after 150 miles, it's running very smooth and the shaking seems more ore less desappear.

Despite I've swapped all ignition parts, I'm still pretty sure that the problem could be not enough power on spark plugs and thus could affect the combustion on idle. What could be? I have no idea because evething has been swapped including:

- Bosch Coils
- Bosch Spark cables
- NGK Spark plugs (3 times) using the NOT resistor one.
- Bosch rotor
- Bosch ignitor cap
- Hella TSZ ECU
- New OVP Relay
- Check all earthground.

The only part that I didn't change is the green cable from TSZ ECU to the distibutor

But I0ve checked the impedence and seems ok.

The only check to be is to find a mechanic with the old hoscilloscope to check the power discarge in every cable but where I'm based (Rome/Italy), is veru inusual and difficolt.

Thanks