S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Replacing an S500 Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 W140/S500
Question Replacing an S500 Head Unit

I'm thinking about replacing the head unit in my S500 so I can get XM and use my iPod. Currently, the original unit is installed; it's hooked up to the CD changer in the trunk, so I can control that device from it. Also, I have 11 speakers and a subwoofer. To complicate matters further, the previous owner (I bought the car about a month ago) had a non-handsfree phone installed in the armrest and that special compartment in the center dash.

How can I get what I want without losing sound quality?
What are some key issues to mention when shopping for a good installer?
Can someone recommend an HONEST installer in San Diego County?

Thanks!
--Naima
Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Naima,

Your car has a fiber optic system. All audio components are tied together with optics. If you want to replace the headunit, you will also have to remove the changer and the amplifier sitting in the trunk. If the car has a factory phone system, that will have to go as well along with the voice control system.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
The 92 t0 95 used a three piece entertainment center, the control and cassette is in the dash, the output fom that goes to a tuner mounted in the trunk, if you have the CD it is routed thru that, of course you have a seven channel bose amp controlling those 11 speakers. There are 4 two ohm on the package tray one four in each rear door, and two mounted in each front door, and a tweeter behind the mirror. The 95 was kind of a cross over year and if you dont have the tuner in the trunk you are somewhat in luck, the 95 aso had four outputs from the radio versus two that were controlled by the thunmbwheel on console acting on the bose. they made a harness adapter, I dont think the CD will be able to be controlled!
The analog phone and its components can be removed since it did really interface with the audio, and only muted the radio. The Ctel used the two outboard speakers on the dash, the handsfree mic is in the face of the control unit in the glove bin on the dash. There is a metal ring that unit snaps into and has catches indicated by the notches. The ring is screwed to the bin, pull the phone fuse, and remove stuff. You will find the phone behind the fender liner, follow the antenna wire from the splitter. You dont have fiber optic!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Peter Guenther
The 92 t0 95 used a three piece entertainment center, the control and cassette is in the dash, the output fom that goes to a tuner mounted in the trunk, if you have the CD it is routed thru that, of course you have a seven channel bose amp controlling those 11 speakers. There are 4 two ohm on the package tray one four in each rear door, and two mounted in each front door, and a tweeter behind the mirror. The 95 was kind of a cross over year and if you dont have the tuner in the trunk you are somewhat in luck, the 95 aso had four outputs from the radio versus two that were controlled by the thunmbwheel on console acting on the bose. they made a harness adapter, I dont think the CD will be able to be controlled!
The analog phone and its components can be removed since it did really interface with the audio, and only muted the radio. The Ctel used the two outboard speakers on the dash, the handsfree mic is in the face of the control unit in the glove bin on the dash. There is a metal ring that unit snaps into and has catches indicated by the notches. The ring is screwed to the bin, pull the phone fuse, and remove stuff. You will find the phone behind the fender liner, follow the antenna wire from the splitter. You dont have fiber optic!
I believe only the 92-93 have the three piece set up with the trunk tuner. The BE1432 was used on the US 140s to 93. 94+ use the newer fiber optic unit with standard din connection.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NaimaF
I'm thinking about replacing the head unit in my S500 so I can get XM and use my iPod. Currently, the original unit is installed; it's hooked up to the CD changer in the trunk, so I can control that device from it. Also, I have 11 speakers and a subwoofer. To complicate matters further, the previous owner (I bought the car about a month ago) had a non-handsfree phone installed in the armrest and that special compartment in the center dash.

How can I get what I want without losing sound quality?
What are some key issues to mention when shopping for a good installer?
Can someone recommend an HONEST installer in San Diego County?

Thanks!
--Naima
You can get everything you want except XM and it will work perfectly. Check out http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_...sp?language=En, and click
Car Infotainment
Cascade Pro

This will be completely plug and play, and you get NAVI insead of XM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
Sunil,

Does my 1999 S600 use D2B fiber optic network like that of my 2003 W203?

If so then I could put in all the W203 electronics such as voice activation, Comand, and most importantly cell phone. With the right PSE I can use my MB bluetooth module that fits in the V60 phone cradle. I installed the CD changer, the voice module and the phone PSE myself, with lots of help from the diagrams from Wolfgangs ML page.

Will the Cascade Pro work well with my Bose system?

Thanks, when I see your avatar I know I am getting good info.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The cascade pro will work with the Bose system.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:48 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
I found out Becker USA will solder another input onto your stock radio, probably the Becker 1692. That way you can input the iPod.

I probably will not go with the Cascade Pro, way too expensive. Alpine, Eclipse etc sell better units for less than $600. The Cascade is over $800

The Audio 10" In-Dash CD players usually available only in Europe" is just OK, I had it in my 2003 Coupe before going to Comand.

The , the "Monza" In-Dash AM/FM/CD & MP3 player appears to be an upgrade. At $459 it isn't too much more than having the 1692 rebuilt and adding the aux input. Audio: Separate source-specific adjustment of bass / treble, tone, balance and front / rear fade; 4 x 30 watts music power, 4 x 18 watts RMS; pre-out: 4 channel, subwoofer or centre speaker pre-out control, telephone-AF control.

Connections/Miscellaneous: DIN-ISO connection, connection for CD changer, telephone mute and telephone AF input, AUX input (except with CD changer), connection for 15 stage speed dependant volume control, subwoofer output adjustable via menu.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
New Radio / CD /Navigation

I put a Harmon Kardon 7773 Trafic Pro unit in my Bentley turbo R a couple of years ago. But nothing would work on the GPS because it needed speedometer readings etc.

Been going to Becker Autosounds this week to see what they recommend to replace my Becker 1692 that came in my 1999 S600 with Bose amps.

They recommend either the Becker 4602 Monza or the Trafic Pro. They look alike.

It took 5 minutes to take out of the bentley and 30 seconds to hook up to my S600. And it sounds great.

They sell an aux input cable Aux/Phone input kit part #1319.116 that will alow me to use my iPod or my Garmin Nuvi 660. This will disable the back CD changer, but I can use that space better and my iPod holds hundreds of Cds.
Attached Images