S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Mercedes w140 dashboard light fail :s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes w140 s320 1995
Mercedes w140 dashboard light fail :s

Hi im new to this forum,
i just bought a 1995 w140 s320 with 130 000 km ,
I noticed once i bought it that when i turned the lights on nothing on the dashboard lights up (buttons , instrument cluster and central console):s .the only thing that lights up is the odometer , i knkw about the dimmer switch and when i turn it it only brightness the odometar nothing else. And every fuse seems ok :s
So pls can some one give me advice ???
Kind regards
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM

2011 E350 4matic, 1982 380SL
Originally Posted by Daniel_gnt
Hi im new to this forum,
i just bought a 1995 w140 s320 with 130 000 km ,
I noticed once i bought it that when i turned the lights on nothing on the dashboard lights up (buttons , instrument cluster and central console):s .the only thing that lights up is the odometer , i knkw about the dimmer switch and when i turn it it only brightness the odometar nothing else. And every fuse seems ok :s
So pls can some one give me advice ???
Kind regards
If I read your post correctly you are saying the instrument cluster does not light up with the exception of the odometer when you turn on the lights. If that is the case then the light bulbs behind the plastic are burnt out. I also believe that on that year it is a pain in the *** to change the bulbs. My main mechanic hated to change them for fear that he would break the plastic. On a positive note I happened to have another Mercedes mechanic in Lexington work on my car and he said it was not a issue that he had a special tool and could change them in 10 minutes which he did. After that the lights were perfect. The vent dial lights will also burn out and those have to be replaced by going through the glove box. Not sure what you mean when you say the central console. Are you saying where the gear shift is located?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Mercedes w140 s320 1995
Originally Posted by jdf2nd
If I read your post correctly you are saying the instrument cluster does not light up with the exception of the odometer when you turn on the lights. If that is the case then the light bulbs behind the plastic are burnt out. I also believe that on that year it is a pain in the *** to change the bulbs. My main mechanic hated to change them for fear that he would break the plastic. On a positive note I happened to have another Mercedes mechanic in Lexington work on my car and he said it was not a issue that he had a special tool and could change them in 10 minutes which he did. After that the lights were perfect. The vent dial lights will also burn out and those have to be replaced by going through the glove box. Not sure what you mean when you say the central console. Are you saying where the gear shift is located?
Yes mate the thing where the gear shift is , but not just that.... Nothing inside lights up ,,, except the radio and the odometer :s i took the cluster out with out damaging and the light in there are all good :s i even changed the headlight switch
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 AM

1991 300e 4matic, 1997 S500, 1994 Range Rover Classic
did you ever figure this out? My 97 S500 sat for a few days and it did rain. I started it tonight and when I turned the headlights on the radio was making a weird buzz. When I turned the lights off the buzz stopped. Then I noticed the instrument lights were not on, or the heater control lights or the window switch lights. So no, I am sure every light did not magically burn out at the same time. All the fuses are fine. Even in the back. Side note, I had some issues with the sunroof and something else, I wiggled all the trunk fuses and a few items started working! Corrosion. Back to the dash lights. At one point I turned the lights on and off again and for a second the dash lights came on, thought it might be the headlight switch but I don't think so. On my 91 300e, years ago, I resoldered the dimmer connections and fixed the das lights on that. Watched a video on removing the s500 dash, removed the left side speaker grill, then the vent, reached in and pushed the unit out.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E430
S500

I have a question about dash lights which I hope is not "uninformed." His car, like mine, is a '95 S500 (92K); we know these cars are notorious for their biodegradable wiring harnesses, which cause real problems when the insulation on them disintegrates.
Is that also true of wiring within the dash area?
Some of my dash bulbs clearly are burned out, and the bulbs which (I think) illuminate the HVAC digital temps and temp wheels are also out, except the driver-side bulb rarely comes on, then "goes on vacation for a long time." Wiring?
James
P.S. It's really frustrating when at night you can't see where your temp wheel is set.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
The ribbon cables on the side displays fail. Do a search for "mercedes instrument cluster pixel repair" or something along those lines. Any video for 208/210/220 will do.
You also could have a bulb out or a loose connection.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 PM

I took my dash out and disassembled it pretty good, looked at the solder connections with a magnifying glass and took micro pictures with my phone and zoomed in! Very clean, no burns or breaks. It is actually very clean. I bought 1 pink relay that goes in the panel just aft of the fuse block, want to swap it, there are 3 in there I think, just guessing, see what happens.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 PM

E430
bulbs

My MB indie shop refuses to deal with getting the instrument cluster out, saying it is too easy to break the plastic. And these guys (a family shop) are as experienced as they come, highly regarded locally. So, I just live with the situation for the time being---maybe I'll try the "side approach" later and see what happens.
James
P.S. Question about going through the left-side speaker vent: that gets you to the left side of the cluster, but what happens when the right side "sticks" and you can't move it?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Remove the foot well cover and go in from below.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM

E430
!

I do appreciate the answer, man, but this is looking more complicated to this amateur. i'll have a look next week.
James
Old 02-04-2017, 02:33 PM

easy

it is not that hard at all. But first, why do you want to go in there? If there are individual bulbs burned out, go in there. But if all the lights are out, including the center console, the window switches, etc, it is not a problem in the dash! If you want to take out the dash, pop up the little clip, there is a screw under it, use a super short screwdriver, look through the windshield to do it. lift the speaker cover off, take off 2 more screws. I took off that pillar cover, big mistake, you don't need to take it off. Carefully pull out the vent. Look at each thing for a little while so you see the clips and attachments. Reach inside, push the contraption as far toward you as you can. Pry the rest of it out with your fingers. Mine had to wire plugs on it, I didn't understand at first how to take them off but once I figured it out they are really ingenious! maybe even spray a little silicone between the piece and the dash. When you put it back in, don't go too far, the bottom clips will show. I took it out a few times and it is actually quicker to pull it from the face with some hook or angle picks. Take your time. Mine is cracked from the previous owner. I pulled out and put back in all my fuses one at a time. Things started working better. I pulled off connectors and sprayed contact cleaner in both sides. Spray a light coating of wd 40 on the connectors and other things, gets rid of corrosion and water. I opened the box on the right side of the engine compartment, noticed water in the bottom, flicked up one of the rubber grommets out of the bottom with a long screwdriver to drain the water then sprayed wd 40 down there. Pulled those fuses and put them back in, sprayed the connectors. My lights work now, I do not know why! I went over railroad tracks and they went out! They came back on later! I still think water somewhere.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvQYsa2wdM
Old 02-06-2017, 08:07 AM

'97 S500, '99 C280, '00 C230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Joel Alesch
I took my dash out and disassembled it pretty good, looked at the solder connections with a magnifying glass and took micro pictures with my phone and zoomed in! Very clean, no burns or breaks. It is actually very clean. I bought 1 pink relay that goes in the panel just aft of the fuse block, want to swap it, there are 3 in there I think, just guessing, see
desolder the capacitors that you have pictured and replace