S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

TOP SPEED RUN!!! 137MPH redline limited!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation TOP SPEED RUN!!! 137MPH redline limited!

Yes folks, I have officially hit top speed in the S32 and boy what a run it was. I was on the way to mexico and after we crossed the border there was about a 10 mile straight away and I let it rip!

I started off at 70mph and then just mashed the gas, there were 4 passengers and full trunk so the motor definately had alot to push. As the motor passed 4000 rpm it really started to sing. 5000rpm it was really starting to push. 6000rpm it was screaming (what a beautiful sound) . i eventually hit the 6800rpm rev limiter at about 137MPH. oil temps were actually lower than normal and all vitals looked good.

I raced my buddy in his F350 which tops oput at 94 and we passed him like a sitting duck. With shot suspension (bad shocks) the car was rock solid at that speed and all imperfections were absorbed by springs. I have officially explored all performance limits of the car and it never ceases to suprise me. These W140s are better built than we even realize. I was taking curves at 90+ (sometimes 100+) and the car took them with ease.

Unfortunately Project S32 has reached a climax, I have decided to keep my M3 and mod that. So there are no more mods for the S32. It was definately a great time though. To all you W140ers out there, be proud of your car and enjoy them. they are truly a blast to drive.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:58 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
alright omey!!!! good choice on the ///m as i am a little biased i cant believe you took your car to mexico, what part?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ya, I went to puerto penasco (rocky point). Ya i definately got mexican insurance just incase it got stolen. It was GHETTO, but luckily we stayed at nicest hotel.

Ya Im going back to BMW just b/c I want stick car and mercedes just doesnt offer that (except in a few rare 93 500SL).

The top speed run was definately a blast and it really showed me what the car could do. the car is suprisingly peppy between the 90-115 range, it really wanted to move (that was in the sweet spot of 3500-4500 rpm range). And i feel as if my motor has been peppier ever since, maybe it helped break in the motor better (its happened to a few of my friends).

For those of you who haven't done it i suggest finding a desolate barren road where you can safely do it and just mash the gash until you top out, its definately fun.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
100 mph curves..

wow.,..

what kind of curves do they have in mexico ....180 degree curves ..lol

just kidding

you got ballzzzzzz....i took a sharp curve at 75 mph one night (about 6 month ago ) where the speed limit is 35..and i lost control of the s500....but it held to the road much better then other cars that i have lost control in lool
Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 PM

1995 S420
Omey,
I hit 130 on the Ohio turnpike around 6 pm and the S420 with my mods had a lot of room left. It was certainly fun.
I have 2 K&N, new exhaust, and Wetterauer chip, and air intake mods, and 255 wide tyres on back, sticky 235 in front. Wetterauer said with their chip, S420 will be limited by gear box (redlining rpms) at 160 mph.

Omey, are you selling your car for the bimmer? or just slowing down on the mods? Hate to see you leave.

Originally posted by OmeyHomey

For those of you who haven't done it i suggest finding a desolate barren road where you can safely do it and just mash the gash until you top out, its definately fun.

Last edited by ychachad; 04-06-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ghost -- ya but i have serious rubber. I have 245's up front and 275's out back. they make a huge difference in cornering. not to mention i have short wheel base W140 so that allows for more agile cornering. i was definately impressed.

ychachad-- I'm not selling the car, we are keeping it forever (no point in selling a car this good in such a bad market for penny's on the dollar. kinda stupid. I will slow mods down (maybe get a few small upgrades). but i will be focusing my energy into the M3 from now on.

Did the K&N filters help on the V8? if so did you use panel filters, or two cone filters? I want to know if intake would yeild decent results. anyways thanks and ttyl.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:17 AM

1995 S420
Omey,
I really don't think the K&N would have made a noticable influence on the power of the machine. However, you have to realise that I changed the plugs to Bosch platinum +4, replaced chip and K&N (2xpanel) filters in rapid succession. The combination of these factors did make a marked improvement in the responsiveness of the beast. Acceleration is improved, so is fuel economy at steady cruising. However, fuel economy at acceleration (stop and go conditions) dropped. This is evident from the fact that now my fuel economy guage pegs down to ZERO when I take off, suggesting enhanced fuel flow, and therefore more power, that I can actually feel. Does that make sense? I removed the inside baffles on the air intake, but left the front pad (on the grill) on albeit with some holes with ceramic bushings to smoothen air flow. Full ram air effect may not be possible, but I do not get rain water into engine either, and dust intake is reduced compared to full ran air effect. I visited your website, and I have some suggestions to make. I'll make them in another post shortly. Take care.

Originally posted by OmeyHomey

ychachad--

Did the K&N filters help on the V8? if so did you use panel filters, or two cone filters? I want to know if intake would yeild decent results. anyways thanks and ttyl.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the problem with increasing fuel is you have to also remap the chip so its not really a possibility. aftermarket free flow exhaust will really help air flow and should yeild good gains. weight reduction is another mod that will help with all factors (braking, accel, and handling). unfortunately these cars just aren't very easily modified. I personally was planning on going straight pipes with port and polished headers and free flow (but still quiet) exhaust like remus. that would yeild great gaines but if you have OBD2 its just not possible (96+). hope that helps.

Originally posted by ychachad
Omey,
I really don't think the K&N would have made a noticable influence on the power of the machine. However, you have to realise that I changed the plugs to Bosch platinum +4, replaced chip and K&N (2xpanel) filters in rapid succession. The combination of these factors did make a marked improvement in the responsiveness of the beast. Acceleration is improved, so is fuel economy at steady cruising. However, fuel economy at acceleration (stop and go conditions) dropped. This is evident from the fact that now my fuel economy guage pegs down to ZERO when I take off, suggesting enhanced fuel flow, and therefore more power, that I can actually feel. Does that make sense? I removed the inside baffles on the air intake, but left the front pad (on the grill) on albeit with some holes with ceramic bushings to smoothen air flow. Full ram air effect may not be possible, but I do not get rain water into engine either, and dust intake is reduced compared to full ran air effect. I visited your website, and I have some suggestions to make. I'll make them in another post shortly. Take care.