S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Cup holder wouldn't close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cup holder wouldn't close

Hi Folks,

I hardly ever use the cup holder given that I ususally don't eat or drink in my car. But the other day, I opened the cup holder to hold a bottle of water - and since then, I can't figure out how to close the damned thing! According to the manual, it should be a simple flip to close. But the stupid cup holder is stucked - can't close it! What is going on? Is there any secret latch that I need to press or passwords that I got to give or some secret underground society that I need to pledge my life to?

Please help...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
.......take the bottle out of the cup holder...then try closing it
Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
ignore the smart ***.

you might have something stuck underneath the cup holder that's preventing it from closing. i have something under there myself which is preventing my cupholder from closing completely but I haven't had the time to correct the problem. with the right tools, you could remove it and clear anything out that's blocking it from closing. hope that helped.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's anything like my CL you need to press the chrome button on the right side to close it.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by gsleung
Hi Folks,

I hardly ever use the cup holder given that I ususally don't eat or drink in my car. But the other day, I opened the cup holder to hold a bottle of water - and since then, I can't figure out how to close the damned thing! According to the manual, it should be a simple flip to close. But the stupid cup holder is stucked - can't close it! What is going on? Is there any secret latch that I need to press or passwords that I got to give or some secret underground society that I need to pledge my life to?

Please help...
As I said, it's your new Michelin Pilots! Put your old tires back on, and the problem will go away.

Seriously - the cupholder in my S500 sometimes gets stuck. It's a 2-piece folding deal, meeting in the middle. The side closest to the driver is supposed to fold in first when closing, and on occasion I have to press that side close to the middle to get it to fold.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the suggestions - finally got the cup holder to close. Here's my summary:

First I tried the suggestion of removing the bottle of water. That helps a bit, but the holder still wouldn't close, even after I emtpy the whole bottle. Then, I tried all the buttons I can find in the car and to my amazement - I discover how to roll down and up the rear shade as well as calling for roadside assistance.

Next, I did what the last poster suggested, fold the driver half in first. But then, I really can't figure which side is the driver side...

So, I bought the car back to the tire dealer and ask them to find me my old tires that they were about to discard. They charged me another few hundreds bugs just to put the old tires on.

With the old tires, the car shook like my ijoy massage chair. By the vibration did the trick, it shook so hard that the cup holder flip down by itself. Now, the only problem is that whenever I make a right turn, it will open by itself. So, from now on, I will simply avoid right turns.

Yep, the old tire did the trick...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is he serious?

This is gotta be the best thread ever.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by gsleung
Thanks for all the suggestions - finally got the cup holder to close. Here's my summary:

First I tried the suggestion of removing the bottle of water. That helps a bit, but the holder still wouldn't close, even after I emtpy the whole bottle. Then, I tried all the buttons I can find in the car and to my amazement - I discover how to roll down and up the rear shade as well as calling for roadside assistance.

Next, I did what the last poster suggested, fold the driver half in first. But then, I really can't figure which side is the driver side...

So, I bought the car back to the tire dealer and ask them to find me my old tires that they were about to discard. They charged me another few hundreds bugs just to put the old tires on.

With the old tires, the car shook like my ijoy massage chair. By the vibration did the trick, it shook so hard that the cup holder flip down by itself. Now, the only problem is that whenever I make a right turn, it will open by itself. So, from now on, I will simply avoid right turns.

Yep, the old tire did the trick...
Please post pics !
Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
gsleung- thanks for your neat sense of humor!!