S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Pictures of my S w/ Lowenhart BR-5's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures of my S w/ Lowenhart BR-5's

Hi Everyone...

I've been posting a lot of pictures of other people's s-class, and figured I'd post a few pics of my own.

Well here they are...

Wheels: Lowenhart BR-5 (9.5x20) -Silver Center, Polished Lip
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (255/35-20 -all around)

Suspension: Lowered with RBTech links (1.5 fr/1.0" rear)

Yes, it does rub on the right-rear when going over expansion joints on the freeway...but it's not bad at all. Again, it's that piece holding the bumper strip to the inside of the bumper. I shaved a bit off, and it still does it...just not as bad.

Enjoy!!! Ask me any questions...I'd be glad to help!

Chris
Old 07-21-2002, 04:26 PM

Side shot....
Old 07-21-2002, 04:27 PM

Rear shot...
Old 07-21-2002, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
Whoa! Those are Gorgeous! Wud sure empty pockets quick... next! lol..
Old 07-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL500
Ride quality?

How's the ride?

Would it be comparable to using one of the lowering modules from Carlsson, Lorinser, or Kleemann????

just wondering.......
Old 07-21-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All i have to say is that is a beautiful color

-Musfather
Old 07-21-2002, 11:59 PM

The ride of the car is totally dependent on the tires. Lowering the car equipped airmatic/abc is not like changing the springs/shocks on a regular car.

He's on 255/35.. his ride should be okay..
Old 07-22-2002, 01:32 AM

hi "m258"...

As jl88 side, the ride is just like stock. I have the airmatic system on my S and the ABC on my CL. I had my CL lowered at Brabus for almost $2k, and it feels the same as using the new links. On my car, the 20's with the lowering...feels just like stock.

MusFather...yup, it's the "Horizon Blue" At first, I thought it was a really girly color, until I started driving it for a while and the people were really complementing me on how different it is...so I'm ordering my new SL in a Diamond Silver, which is similar to the Horizon blue.

Hey jl88...where are u in so. cal? How are the Brabus Monoblock VI doing? Have you figured out a way to smoothen out the ride? I have the V's on my CL and the ride is ok...245/30-20 front/285/30-20 rear.

Take care everyone!

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 02:52 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL500
pics?

Thanks for the reply onesixeight!

I recently picked up a CL500 and have the body kit on the way and rims waiting at the shop for me. I haven't decided which method to use to lower my car.

Could you post some pics of your CL???? So I can get an idea...

Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 08:40 AM

There are a few options to lower abc/airmatic cars, but they will all produce the same result. Kleemann seems a bit more interesting, but the TWS lowering kit is cheap. You can't beat $400 out the door in 30 minutes..

onesixeight: nice collection of cars.. in your opinion, do you think the ABC is worth it? I haven't had a chance to ride in a car with ABC.

After a month of driving around, the ride quality of my car is completely dependent on the road conditions. If the highway is good, with few bumps, then the ride is completely fine. However, if the highway is complete ***, my ride is complete ***. I suppose Hawaii has better highways heh.. The ride of my car is just like a sports car now. Lots of road feel.. uncomfortable for a luxury sedan, but it is tolerable.. the price of vanity
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL500
jl88 thank you for the reply also

I have heard and was supposed to go ahead with the Kleemann module, everyone says it's the best. However, no one has any personal experience with it from what I can tell. I am hesitant since I would seem to be the first one to try it and don't want to shove out 2k or more and not like it.

The Kleemann module is supposed to be unique compared to other tunners where you can raise or lower the car from within the cabin, am I right? After looking around I found out the Brabus module is also adjustable from within the cabin. On the Brabus site it says there are 3 adjustable levels maxing out lowering at 20mm.

Can you tell me what the differences are between them all (Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, Kleemann) if possible? Are there height differences or what??

I had a similar problem in ride quality with my E430 a few months ago. I wanted a better quality ride and tried out the Kleemann suspension for Eclass and wasn't all that impressed. That's why I traded it in for the CL. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 12:52 PM

Hey Everyone...

jl88...The ABC is awesome! It's just amazing how you can throw this monster sized car into a turn, and it just sticks. I just drove the new BMW 745i with their version of ABC, and I must say, it's really amazing. I though all this new active body control was just gimmics, but it really does work.

I'm staying in so. cal at the moment, and my girlfriend drives the CL back in Hawaii. I only shipped the "s" to california, and the rest of my cars stay in Hawaii. I travel back and forth every 2-3 months or so.

m258...The brabus lowering is very conservative. Even at 20mm and 20 in wheels, the car still looks a little high(the gap between the fenders.)

Well...I gotta go back to work, but here is a pic of my CL before the mods. I'm in LA now, and the car is in HI, but I'll ask my g/f to snap some pics...

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 05:55 PM

The Kleemann module does seem interesting, but its been beaten to death before on this message board. No one here has first hand objective experience with it.

Also remember, lowering the car does not affect the airmatic/abc raising features that already come with the car. So right now, I have 2 settings to choose from: lowered or raised. I believe the ABC features allows you to choose from 3 settings. A bit of a spin on the facts, IMO. I think only Kleemann allows you to vary the height from within the cabin independent of the airmatic/abc buttons. But I don't know how useful it would be.

For me, I drive on highways lowered, but local roads, I drive the car raised. I only want to press one button to raise the car.

I don't know anyone that has gotten the lorinser module installed. In theory, it sounds similar to the Kleemann module.

The most common way is the changing out the links with the RB Tech parts or modifying the OEM part.

I wrote a summary on a previous thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=10865

I went with the TWS Lowering Kit because I know the owner of The Wheel Supply pretty well and I know he only comes out with good quality parts. For me, it came down to price. I didn't know how often, if at all, I would use the Kleemann module features. Plus, I did not want to ruin the OEM look of the car.

168: I wish I got the ABC feature for my S class as an option. Not many S classes came with that feature from the factory, only the 55's and the 600's, which at the time I bought the car, were going for $10k premium. Oh well, lesson learned heh. My next car will have that feature.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:20 PM

The CL only allows you two different heights and a "ABC Sport" setting. It has the same "two level" raise button and the ABC sport button replaces the "stiffer" shock button on the Airmatic S-classes.

My car on the raised setting is just about stock height. I believe after 40 or 50 mph, the car cancels out the "raised" setting and goes back to normal. So as "jl88" said, you can only use the raise setting on surface streets.

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Out Of Control!

onesixeight

That is one amazing piece of machinery you've got there. The wheels are just outstanding! Very nice!
Old 07-24-2002, 03:08 AM

smoooooooooooooooooooth
Old 07-25-2002, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Great color! I don't think I have ever seen that color on the road before, and S-Classes are a dime a dozen where I live so that must be an extremely rare color.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
We will be installing the Kleemann lowering module for ABC into a 2001 CL500 here shortly (when the customer comes back into town) with 20" Auto Couture Indicators and complete Auto Couture body kit. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

The module is already here, just waiting for him to come back.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:17 PM

Absolutely beautiful car!! Looks super!!