S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 S430 sport xenon lights swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2003 S430 sport xenon lights swap

I am trying to swap the head lamps on 2 2003 S430 sports one with xenon lamps and the other without. Does anyone have any wiring infromation for ths swap? I am assuming putting the xenon lights into the one without xenon right now won't be a big deal, really want to know if there are any gotcha's with placing the standard lamps into the one that currently has the xenons.

any assistance will be apprieciated
Old 04-12-2006, 12:05 AM

1997 C36AMG
that isn't gonna be possible to do, xenon lights, is an extra 4,000 dollar packge added when the car is being built by the manufacturer, there is no wiring available to put in xenon lights, i'm sorry.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,224 Likes on 2,006 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by lanbaron
I am trying to swap the head lamps on 2 2003 S430 sports one with xenon lamps and the other without. Does anyone have any wiring infromation for ths swap? I am assuming putting the xenon lights into the one without xenon right now won't be a big deal, really want to know if there are any gotcha's with placing the standard lamps into the one that currently has the xenons.

any assistance will be apprieciated
You can easily replace the headlights themselves. No additional wiring should be needed on an 03. Just to make sure I understand your question, it isn't possible to swap the bulbs only as the halogen headlights miss the high voltage transformer/ballast/wiring in the headlights.
You will then have to bring the car with added xenon lights to the Mercedes dealer which will have to turn on the xenon light function ON with Star diagnostics. Takes just a few minutes and is usually free. Without it the headlights will either not work or work erratically.

One other funtion you will be missing when adding a xenon headlight to a non-xenon Mercedes: the headlight self-leveling feature. You can manually adjust the lights though. Self-leveling is not really needed on the S-class as the airmatic levels the car already. On other non-leveling cars this feature is important to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic...

Btw. all German cars with Xenon have to have self-leveling headlights even if the car is leveled as well. It is a law in Germany, and required even for aftermarket products..

Wolfman
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the input Wolfman, but yo be clear, I am planning on swapping the entire lamps not just the bulbs. I know I can put the Xenon into the non-xenon car as an upgrade. What I'm really interseted in doing is being able to place the Halogen lamps back into the car that originally had xenon. I can make this trade only if I can get the halogen lamps to work properly in the car that came with xenon. Any insight?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lanbaron
Thanks for the input Wolfman, but yo be clear, I am planning on swapping the entire lamps not just the bulbs. I know I can put the Xenon into the non-xenon car as an upgrade. What I'm really interseted in doing is being able to place the Halogen lamps back into the car that originally had xenon. I can make this trade only if I can get the halogen lamps to work properly in the car that came with xenon. Any insight?
Downgrading is no problem at all. You may have an extra connector that won't be connected, but that's it.
I believe there is no need to re-program but am uncertain as everyone I know went the other way. But even if it needs it, it is just as easy to do as I mentioned before.

Hope this helps,

Wolfman
Old 05-12-2006, 02:06 PM

00 s430 02 g500
Wolfman,

New to the board - could you tell me how to wire up the second plug into the wiring harness and into the bixenon lights for a 00 s430?

thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Darryl Little
Wolfman,

New to the board - could you tell me how to wire up the second plug into the wiring harness and into the bixenon lights for a 00 s430?

thanks
I used to have a wiring diagram around. Will have to look for it. I assume you are refering to the center plug on the new headlight assembly? Do you already have the new connector types for the projetor lamps? The old main connector won't fit.

Tell me a bit more of your setup...

Wolfman
Old 05-14-2006, 12:03 PM

00 s430 02 g500
Headlights upgrade

Hello Wolfman,

Currently have OEM 05' bixenon headlights and purchased connectors and wires for second plug on lights. My mechanic needs wiring diagrahm to wire plug and back into harness. This of course is to be done on a 00' s430 that was not originally xenon equipted. Emailed Steve at Mbenznl several months ago and he said that it could be done. Any info you could provide would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:47 AM

Mercedes S430 S500 S600 S55 (w220) Hid Headlights

I saw these on eBay and emailed 2 prior purchasers; both gave very positive feedback on their purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BID_Stores_IT

Here's the before and after pics:

http://members.aol.com/ibanezfanatic/
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SadisticRadish
I saw these on eBay and emailed 2 prior purchasers; both gave very positive feedback on their purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BID_Stores_IT

Here's the before and after pics:

http://members.aol.com/ibanezfanatic/
The S500 looks nice but I would strongly advise against those eBay headlights. This is not OEM as suggested. You'll get anything from soft plastic that fades/yellows/cracks to questionable fit/electronics.
You can usually find original MB headlights for a few hundred more...

Wolfman