S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New 2000 430 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
New 2000 430 Owner

Hello, I am a newbie to the Mercedes World. Just picked up a 2000 S430 for the wife (or atleast it was supposed to be) Its black on black, has a few scratches and had 89000K mile on it. I paid 22400 for it. Was that a good price? So far I have had to put new rotors and pads on the front. Then on the same day it broke down while my wife was driving it. There was a malfunction with the ignition switch. Was supposed to cost me 300+ dollars but the benz rep quoted me a price of 88 bucks and had to honor it. I am in love with this car. However, I am experiencing another issue. At the dealership when I bought it the car showed that it was 1qt low on oil. Which did raise a red flag since the dealer said they had just had it serviced. He topped it off and it seems ok until yesterday. The check level light came on and it was 2 quarts low. I have already heard some horror stories here on the S-Class models. Are oil leaks typical for Mercedes? Or can oil leaks be fixed relatively easily? Also, can someone tell me if I can just get some XEON light bulbs or do I have to get the whole lamp? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, welcome to the board. There are several horror stories with the 00 s class and those end up costing more in repair than just the regular $22k that you paid for the car. It costs to drive a mercedes. You could pay it upfront or you could pay over time in repairs. You can get a cheaper 2000 model then spend alot of $$$$$$$$$$ on repairs or you could fork up a little more and get a more reliable 03 model and enjoy an almost trouble free ride.

Oil leaks are not typical with these cars but cant rule that out. Are you sure it's an oil leak or they just didn't put enough oil in there? (These cars take up more than 8qt of synthetic oil). If it is then you need to get it repaired now before it ends up costing 500% more. Also get the airmatic checked out to avoid problems later. That's not a good way to start the MB lifestyle.

You will have to spend about $1800 for some bi-xenon headlamp upgrades. Xenon bulbs dont just work without a ballast and the whole 9 yards. Did I say it costs to drive MB?

Take it easy with it and get it checked out regularly. Do you have pics of the car?

Last edited by kenstudios; 04-29-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM

2000 S430
Thanks for the response Ken. I don't have any PICCT yet. Did I mention I bought it on EBAY! Well I have an appt on Monday to get the oil leak checked. I will get them to check the AIRMATIC! By the way, does the AIRMATIC have an on or off mode? I haven't even messed with it yet. I just notice that the vehicle hisses after I turn it off. And once in a while i get a message that says the car is rising. I definitely wont spend any money on that. If the AIRMATIC goes I will trade up to a 2001 or 2002. I would feel comfortable in the 32-25 range. I want put the light trim on the lights but don't plan on doing much more mods. Only the MIKBOX. Do you have one?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 PM

'06 S430 Sport, '05 C 55 AMG, '06 BMW 330i, '06 VW Beetle Convertible
Originally Posted by jmiaebrown
Thanks for the response Ken. I don't have any PICCT yet. Did I mention I bought it on EBAY! Well I have an appt on Monday to get the oil leak checked. I will get them to check the AIRMATIC! By the way, does the AIRMATIC have an on or off mode? I haven't even messed with it yet. I just notice that the vehicle hisses after I turn it off. And once in a while i get a message that says the car is rising. I definitely wont spend any money on that. If the AIRMATIC goes I will trade up to a 2001 or 2002. I would feel comfortable in the 32-25 range. I want put the light trim on the lights but don't plan on doing much more mods. Only the MIKBOX. Do you have one?
The Airmatic does not have an on/off mode. It has three settings. The first is normal, the second is push the button with the little shock absorber on it under the center A/C duct once and that tightens it up. Push it twice and it is in sport mode and you will feel a difference in ride quality. The hissing when you shut the car off is normal. The message "vehicle rising" only shows up when the button under the A/C duct with an up arrow is pushed ( red dot is illuminated). This is to raise the car higher than its normal right height on a temporary basis such as being over a high parking bumper or a very rough road with high spots. That is not to be left on all the time. In normal operation at a sustained 70mph+ the body will lower itself one-half of one inch.

If you do get the urge to trade up see if you can stretch your budget to fit a 2003. The advantages are it is the fourth production year which means the earlier model year problems were diagnosed and fixed prior to manufacture. The '03 also has the larger COMAND screen and the updated head and tail lights.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:32 PM

Lender1 is absolutely correct. Also note when your airmatic goes you will not be able to trade that car in until you fix it $4K. It will drop to the ground and will not move. There will be a message in RED saying "STOP CAR TOO LOW."
The 03 and up models are far much better car with all the bugs worked out. Dont be scared, just get the car checked out. Chances are you may only need to get the oil changed and the car serviced.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Almost a Member!

My fathers 1st S class was an 00 black/black and he loved that car. However I remember one day on the screen it said warning car too low. I got outside of the car and wow the wheels were so tucked in and everything, the car dropped like 5" no joke. I remember the dealer had to replace some suspension parts I think. Anyway overall it is a very good car and I hope yours turns out to be fine. We liked that S class so much that when the lease ended in 03, we leased another 03 S430. That car had no mechanical problems but a few electrical ones. Nothing major. We gave that 03 back last month and hopefully an 07 S550 due end of summer.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
The 2000 S430 only has comfort suspension mode and sport mode. There isn't sport 1 and 2.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 AM

2000 S430
Thanks for all the replys. I will let you know how the inspection and oil leak investigation goes on Monday.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

2000 S430
DSludge

Well today is the day I did not want to happen. My repair tech states that my 2000 430 S is burning oil. He said the only way they could get MB to do something would be to produce service records. They did a carfax and can't see anything since 68000K. He said that a d-sludge was major surgery and that they would replace the rings and other internal workings of engine. I have had the car less than 30 days. I contacted the dealer (should I list his name).. And he recommended that I have them change the oil using synthetic. Since now he says he doesnt know if the prior owner used synthetic. He said that it might clear the problem up. Tech is saying that won't do it. Fortunately I purchased a warranty through Penn Warranty. (anybody heard of them) I have platinum coverage and hopefully they will fix. (100 deductible). Questions:
1. Does the dealer have any liability? (In Kentucky)
2. Will this procedure really fix the issue?
3. Could this procedure cover any other issues?

I had them check the AIRMATIC as suggested and they said it looks ok. The suspension is covered also. I know now that I am either going trade or extend the warranty.

My wife told me to buy a Toyota Camry but....
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 AM

2001 E320
My wife told me to buy a Toyota Camry but....
Actually, she should have told you not to buy any high-end vehicle off of eBay... a lot of jerks out there selling vehicles on eBay that wouldn't make it a car dealership.

I know, I'm sure a lot of people are happy buying automobiles using eBay, but no way I would. I'll bet your eBay seller will leave you holding the bag, hoping that the extended warranty will pick up the slack. If not, you’re stuck with huge repair bills and a sour taste regarding M-B products, which is too bad.

If buying used, you should only buy from a long-term, reputable dealer that thoroughly goes through the vehicle and has all the service records. You’ll never convince me that the dealer didn’t know it was using oil, with a quart low at delivery… and you had to put on new rotors and brake pads within the first 30 days of delivery? How did it pass the required safety check? My next phone calls would be to the Better Business Bureau, Bureau of Automobile Repair and an attorney for advice…

Good luck to you and here's hoping for a good ending...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM

2000 S430
Guess you are right Richard. Maybe I wasn't ready. I feel horrible. That car was 22400. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. I guess I will start looking for a good lawyer.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Hate to say it but a lot of high end lux cars on ebay have a dark side to them. Thats why they are sold on ebay because your bid is a legal and binding contract. Read the fine print.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 PM

2001 E320
Guess you are right Richard. Maybe I wasn't ready. I feel horrible. That car was 22400. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. I guess I will start looking for a good lawyer.
Pisses me off that eBay has sellers that get away with this kind of rip-off crap; maybe the seller will make it good but I doubt it.

I've been ripped off a few times on eBay, for small items like computer software and a Schwinn StingRay. Paying by PayPal, it took me months of emails, back and forth, with eBay and PayPal. Always got my money back but the process was ridiculous, even though the sellers could not provide any proof of their merchandise being sent. Usually, not long after the fact the seller would close their account, probably to resurface later with a new eBay user name and rip-off a few more unsuspecting people...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:50 PM

2000 S430
Well, heres the latest. My extended warranty company said they would only pay for the failed part once they came and inspected after the engine was tore down. Which i would have to pay for since it is considered diagnosis work. $2500. So, if they come in and say the parts not covered the entire cost would be on me. Thats option1. Option2, the tech told me that if I could get the service records showing that oil changes were being done on schedule he would submit it for warranty and maybe MB would cover it. So that sent me on a goose chase. I contacted the dealership i bought it from and he gave me the name of the guy who previously owned it. It was a long shot but the previous owner turns out to be a great guy. So he says that he did not want to give the car up and that he had no problems with it. He needed the money. He says he drove it for 3 months and that it was given to him from his cousin who bought a newer model. So, from the kindness of his heart he has been trying to contact his cousin (who is out of town) to see if he has any records. He gives me his name and address. So, I do a search on MB dealers in the area. And bam! I find a dealer who serviced the car. But here is the homer simpson part... they said that they purged the records and the last service they show is a detail and a bulb replacement. Maybe she didn't want to tell me. So my plan is to have my tech to contact them on Monday and see if they have any digital backups. Also, hopefully the guys cousin will come through. Meanwhile I just to MB to change the oil for now and let me see how long it take the oil light to come back on. I have driven the car 2 days and level still checks ok. In all my stress though i put plus gas in instead of premium. Is this going to mess up anything? As if I need more problems.. Man i love this car!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Almost a Member!

99CLK320, 98ML320, 02S430 (gone replaced with 2008 BMW 550i)
Exclamation Extended Warranty???

"Well, heres the latest. My extended warranty company said they would only pay for the failed part once they came and inspected after the engine was tore down. Which i would have to pay for since it is considered diagnosis work. $2500."

This sounds like another extended warranty scam, unless you forgot to tell us that the company will pay the "diagnosis" work if the part failed. Could you elaborate?

There is a lot of forum interest on extended warranties. It is rare we get to follow an actual claim go through. Keep us posted, please.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM

2000 S430
Penn Warranty. Paid $450.00 for a 6 month Premium Contract. The way the service rep said "We will determine what procedure is warranted after inspecting the failed part" made my spidey sense go off! I can see it now.. the entire engine laid out on the floor and one ring thats causing the issue. They pay for that and walk. She wouldn't clarify if they would pay for the time and cost of putting the engine back in. Someone told me to just stock up on oil cuz it would be too risky to take the whole engine out and put it back together. On the other hand though MB would have to back up the work and theoretically it should be running better. Its day 4 and still not oil level low light. I am going to check it again now. In the mean time if anyone knows anyone who wants to take 16 to 18 for it as a trade in on a 2002 or 2003 let me know. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 11:33 AM

2000 S430
Good News!

Well, Its been almost a month since the oil change and the oil level is holding. Haven't had any problems. Hopefully all will be good until I can find a 03 S500. Anyone see one please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:10 PM

Minivan
Just take the car and sell it and take the few thousand dollar loss. Have the lawyer file suit for that loss and damages. Then, buy another Benz that was properly cared for. If you keep this one, the next bill or warranty fight might be longer and more costly. Get out now.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 PM

2000 S430
Jmiaebrown, sorry you had to go through so many problems. I just picked up a 2000 S430 for $20,000. The car had 100,000 miles on it, but was in good condition. I have been driving it for a few months and so far no problems.

I love my car. It is a shame there are crooks out there that want to take advantage of good people and the Mercedes name. Good luck finding your upgrade!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM

2001 S 600-sold, 2004 Hamann 745LI, 2002 Lexus Sc430, 2000 MB S430, 2004 GMC Yukon Denali
Horror Stories

jmiaebrown,
sounds like you have had a heck of a time with you S. Keep in mind that when you buy these cars your sucess depends a lot on the previous owner/s. I have purchased my last 4 cars off ebay and had no problems. Just make sure you thoroughly inspect them and make sure the car was not abused. If you are intersted i have a 2000 S with full maintenence records that is problem free. It was a daily driver up until 1 month ago when i purchased a 745...email @ jasond@integrefi.com