2000 S500 Sound System Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
2000 S500 Sound System Out!

I had accidently got water spilled in my trunk and since than whole sound system went out. I can't use the voice command for the mobile phone or anything. On the display screen when you push the CD button it says no CD changer, radio displays on the screen but no sound. Nav is working fine. I took it to the local place and he replaced the couple fuses that was blown for the CD magazine but it still doesn't work. You can't pull the magazine out. He thinks that it might be a module that turns off the AMP and the CD changer in the back. He told me that I might have to take to the Mercedes dealership but I hate the local dealer here and thought if anyone here new anything about this issue. Help!!!

Last edited by Tino; 05-08-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Tino
I had accidently got water spilled in my trunk and since than whole sound system went out. I can't use the voice command for the mobile phone or anything. On the display screen when you push the CD button it says no CD changer, radio displays on the screen but no sound. Nav is working fine. I took it to the local place and he replaced the couple fuses that was blown for the CD magazine but it still doesn't work. You can't pull the magazine out. He thinks that it might be a module that turns off the AMP and the CD changer in the back. He told me that I might have to take to the Mercedes dealership but I hate the local dealer here and thought if anyone here new anything about this issue. Help!!!
Yes water does kill electronics... I don;t really know what advice to give you because you won't know the extent of the damages till you start pulling boxes.

You must have spilled a 50 gallon drum in order to cause that much water damage or you backed off a pier in Mobile or something..LOL

Seriously,,, have you considered filing an insurance claim? this type of stuff is covered under comp. It might be your ticket to getting a very expensive repair done for the price of a deductible.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Yeah, I had let friend borrowed it and this is what I got in return. He was carrying the 5 gallon of those house water purifer container. Just thought check here because I hate the local mercedes STEALership.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will need to have a thorough knowledge in car audio (especially MB S class) to be able to diagnose this problem. We all know water and electronics don’t mix so by now you should be able to live with the fact that you drowned something back there. How is your knowledge in car audio? If you are good at that then you may be able to get to the problem. If you are not good at that then I suggest you let the pro’s at MB do it for you, of which they will end up replacing the entire system at a cost that’ll blow your wallet off. The problem could be as simple as a corroded wire to a fried amp.

First off, is there power to comand in the front? By power I mean is it turning on? I know there’s no sound. Is the nav unit coming up? Can you input a destination? If there is power to comand then move to the trunk. If there is no power to comand then check all fuses in the rear seat to ensure there is no blown fuse. A goo indication that the rear SAM is gone would be the rear window defrost. Is it working?

Now you will have to remove the trunk lining to gain access to the amp area. You mentioned the changer cannot eject, this indicated that it’s not getting power. Do you have a voltmeter? If so you need to test each lead wire to determine if there is power to the amp, the changer and the voice module. If you have power on the lead then this is a good indication that the amp itself is blown. If you don’t have power to the leads then you have probably corroded wires and power is not traveling to the back area and those will have to be replaced. If there is power then your equipment is fried and needs replacement.

As mentioned above I would consider filling a claim with the insurance as the cost of this will not be good. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Thanks Kenstudios. Yes, I am very well aware of that but I had loaned car to the buddy and I wasn’t there so it happened. Not really well knowledgeable on car audio system. I took it to the pro (not MB dealer) but they couldn’t figure it out either. Yes, there is power to the main unit in the front. The radio comes on and you can change the stations and everything. Navigation works fine to and it lets you in put the destination and everything.

I think there was couple of fuse blown but the guy replaced when I took it to get it checked. I will have to check on the rear window defrost. Buddy of mine knows about audio so we might work on it at the house and see if we can figure out the power in the rear. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks Kenstudios. Yes, I am very well aware of that but I had loaned car to the buddy and I wasn’t there so it happened. Not really well knowledgeable on car audio system. I took it to the pro (not MB dealer) but they couldn’t figure it out either. Yes, there is power to the main unit in the front. The radio comes on and you can change the stations and everything. Navigation works fine to and it lets you in put the destination and everything.

I think there was couple of fuse blown but the guy replaced when I took it to get it checked. I will have to check on the rear window defrost. Buddy of mine knows about audio so we might work on it at the house and see if we can figure out the power in the rear. Thanks again for your advice.
If the unit at the front works thats a good sign. Now you just have to check the power going to the amp. If there is power to the amp but no sound, then the amp is blown. If there is no power to the amp then check your wires. Start from the rear SAM under the back seat and test all fuses and relays. Check the power to the changer the same way. Keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
take out every single fuse out of under back rear seat, and pop em all back in and dry them, let me know what happens...
Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Thanks, I took it to other local audio place and he said that the power is coming to the cd changer and to the amp to so he thinks that both my cd changer and amp is blown. Any idea on where I can may be find used one and how much would run...thanks everyone for the help!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Thanks, I took it to other local audio place and he said that the power is coming to the cd changer and to the amp to so he thinks that both my cd changer and amp is blown. Any idea on where I can may be find used one and how much would run...thanks everyone for the help!
You can find the changer at www.performanceproducts4benz.com and put in part# 99-847. You will have to call them for the amp. (1-800-243-1220) You may also try ebay. Just bid on the correct product. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM

2000 S500
Water in LCD screen

Hello New to the page....PLEASE HELP....
I have a 2000 S500 and I accidentially spilled /splashed water and it got in the bottom right hand corner of my LCD display screen and in the little control panel that controls the radio as far as the power and mute button etc. the fuses under the hood were checked and they were all good....couldnt find the other fuse box until someone on here answered that question. I will look into that back fuse box but I guess my overall question is .....what is my worse case scenerio here? New LCD screen? Entire new Radio? Could it just be a fuse? Can the radio be reset? I just hope that this lil boo boo doesnt cost me a arm and a kidney to repair. Any insight into my options would greatly be appreciated!!
thank you all in advance :-)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM

2001 Mercedes s500 amg sport
Tino:

Please be patient in you search for the problem. Don't rush out and begin buying expensive parts. Perhaps only your cd changer is faulty, and is causing you to have no sound from your radio. Generally a good tech will unplug power to the cd changer and bypass it via optical cabling. Sometimes this rectifies the problem. Since many objects are on the same optical bus, a problem with one might affect another.