S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Got the Tele Aid "Dear John" letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Got the Tele Aid "Dear John" letter

We have our annual renewal comming up in August so we got the letter that explains"that you service will not be renewed" unless we upgrade from analog to digital. The offer is sort of like congratulations...you get to spend $1500 for this upgrade (plus labor) less $200 because we are giving you a discount coupon.

Has anyone done a DIY on this? Also, as crappy as the Nav/Command system is I was wondering if any one has done an aftermarket change out?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Lightbulb Just a thought

Originally Posted by sprink49
...Also, as crappy as the Nav/Command system is I was wondering if any one has done an aftermarket change out?
I don't know if you and I have the same Nav/Comand but I would certainly call my NAV crappy, and a long way from user friendly. From what I've read, the DVD-based NAV is a lot better, and those might fit into your dashboard.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
We have our annual renewal comming up in August so we got the letter that explains"that you service will not be renewed" unless we upgrade from analog to digital. The offer is sort of like congratulations...you get to spend $1500 for this upgrade (plus labor) less $200 because we are giving you a discount coupon.

Has anyone done a DIY on this? Also, as crappy as the Nav/Command system is I was wondering if any one has done an aftermarket change out?
Everyone needs to file a complaint over this TeleAid Bulls4it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/198627-2000-teleaid.html

Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo

I've seen w203's and w211's with aftermarket HU's but IMO they just mess up a nice dash.

My question to you is.. I've been missing something tele-aid offers? There are not "helpful" tele-aid functions that affect the operation of comand or dvd based Nav. so why be bothered with them? I've never used except during a promotional period and i cancelled because everything it offered IE concierge, directions, etc.. I could do myself OR my Nav system did already.

Just wanted some clarfication of you don't mind... I don;t see any point in paying $1500 to upgrade a service I never though much of in the first place..

BTW. Mine is a 2004 S430 I think the same color as your.. the gray that looks blue when the sun hit's it so everybody say's Hey who's the guy in the blue benz.. LOL..
Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Originally Posted by my06clk
I've seen w203's and w211's with aftermarket HU's but IMO they just mess up a nice dash.

My question to you is.. I've been missing something tele-aid offers? There are not "helpful" tele-aid functions that affect the operation of comand or dvd based Nav. so why be bothered with them? I've never used except during a promotional period and i cancelled because everything it offered IE concierge, directions, etc.. I could do myself OR my Nav system did already.

Just wanted some clarfication of you don't mind... I don;t see any point in paying $1500 to upgrade a service I never though much of in the first place..

BTW. Mine is a 2004 S430 I think the same color as your.. the gray that looks blue when the sun hit's it so everybody say's Hey who's the guy in the blue benz.. LOL..

My wife uses the "turn byturn" feature often. Otherwise I say screw it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wife uses the "turn byturn" feature often. Otherwise I say screw it.
OIC... How does that feature differ from setting a nav destination? Could you just go in a preset a number of destinations that your wife uses often and let the Nav do that?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Analog-to-Digital Upgrade

Same here. I also received my "Dear John" Tele Aid letter. I don't fully understand.
For $1500 MSRP plus installation you get coverage for as long as you own the car. The letter goes on to say "See your dealer for info on additional available 1 and 2 year plans. (less $100 for one year or $200 for the two year subscription). Sounds like for $1500 you get free service but there is an option for 1 and 2 year plans which may or may not include the upgrade parts.
I will give my dealer a call on Monday and let you know what they say. I like having Tele Aid for the "vehicle recovery feature" and in the event the air bags deploy. I can just as easily get LoJack. Not sure what that costs but I doubt if it is near the $1500 price tag.
RAN
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RAN in NJ
Same here. I also received my "Dear John" Tele Aid letter. I don't fully understand.
For $1500 MSRP plus installation you get coverage for as long as you own the car. The letter goes on to say "See your dealer for info on additional available 1 and 2 year plans. (less $100 for one year or $200 for the two year subscription). Sounds like for $1500 you get free service but there is an option for 1 and 2 year plans which may or may not include the upgrade parts.
I will give my dealer a call on Monday and let you know what they say. I like having Tele Aid for the "vehicle recovery feature" and in the event the air bags deploy. I can just as easily get LoJack. Not sure what that costs but I doubt if it is near the $1500 price tag.
RAN

Oh well.. If it's worth that much for some sense of "possible" security then it's your dime I guess.

I've been trying to rationalize this whole Tele-aid/Ontstar idea, but to me it's still a total wastes of good mod money. I think this has been discussed somewhere else a while ago so I'm not going to start another yes or no thread on Tele-aid, but now that the analog system is nearly obsolete, I'm just wondering how many feel like me and just let it die who needs it.

My Nav and BT phone still works, the jury is still out on the Sirius SAT radio since the big purchase from XM, but as of now, these options are a lot more useful to my daily commute than tele-aid. If my benz is stolen, BYE. that's what my insurance premiums are for. If my bags deploy, chances are I'll be in civilization or able to use my mobile to get help. Either way I'm certainly now willing to shell out over 2K "just in case" I happen not to be on earth when and emergency arises..

BTW. I hate those scared straight commercials like the one Onstar uses, and that sick one that brinks security uses about the suburb guy kicking down the door in broad daylight!! LOL. Fear. That's what makes billions!! All you have to do is figure out how to deliver it in a nice attractive package.