S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S55 ABC strut rebuild or replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 ABC strut rebuild or replacement?

can ABC struts be rebuilt? my 01 S55 has a leaking left rear strut and the dealer
wants $2k to replace the strut! Is there any source to rebuild these struts or a
less expensive source than the dealer ?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
I would love to find out too.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
ABC is one of the most advanced mass production automotive systems ever engineered. It operates at almost 3,000 PSI and the struts are responsible for changing the length, stiffening and dampening of each corner within milliseconds of CPU instruction, based on 13 level and acceleration sensors. I wouldn't look to save money if any component of my ABC needed to be replaced.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:28 PM

good point. I just thought there might be a less expensive source to get the struts rather than the dealer. tried some of the online oem parts sources but dont show the strut available for the ABC equipped cars.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoover
ABC is one of the most advanced mass production automotive systems ever engineered. It operates at almost 3,000 PSI and the struts are responsible for changing the length, stiffening and dampening of each corner within milliseconds of CPU instruction, based on 13 level and acceleration sensors. I wouldn't look to save money if any component of my ABC needed to be replaced.

It maybe the most advanced but it also the worse engineered, over price and it for the wrong car. We don't really benefit this system because most owner never really do any kind track event or even drive aggressive enough in every day driving to really benefit from the system.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM

GT3
Definitely don't cut corners on suspension component's. The price from the dealer does seem a bit high though and I would think you can find a cheaper alternative.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; 07-19-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo

ANYWAY...... The struts can be purchased new from OEMParts direct online. CPU instructions and PSI have nothing to do with paying 2.5 times what a part costs.
There is only about $150 dollar difference between the ABC application strut and the Airmatic strut.Nice PSA for airmatic systems, but all of that calculating BS is done on the car NOT the strut.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by my06clk

ANYWAY...... The struts can be purchased new from OEMParts direct online. CPU instructions and PSI have nothing to do with paying 2.5 times what a part costs.
There is only about $150 dollar difference between the ABC application strut and the Airmatic strut.Nice PSA for airmatic systems, but all of that calculating BS is done on the car NOT the strut.
Buying OEM parts at a cheaper price than the dealer is always a good idea (assuming you have a good mechanic to do the work). Looking to rebuild a part that's not meant to be rebuilt is not. When it's part of such a critical system, it's really not a good idea.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 AM

00 S430
I Have And 00 S430 With The Same Problem. If You Find Someone That Will Repair These Struts Let Me Know. I Need Help Also. I Got The Strut Out But Dont Want To Open It If Its Not Designed To Be Rebuilt.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
It maybe the most advanced but it also the worse engineered
your conjecture is based on no facts. considering the mercedes ABC system is the only one of its kind in the automotive world, your quip that it is the worst engineered is nonsensical.

over price and it for the wrong car.
adding $10k+ to the msrp of the slk or clk in order to include the ABC system is out of the question and pointless. the curb weight does not justify it when springs and shocks work just fine. and how your can call it overpriced when there is not competitive system from another manufacturer i cannot understand.

We don't really benefit this system because most owner never really do any kind track event or even drive aggressive enough in every day driving to really benefit from the system.
this could be said of all mercedes, not just the s-class.

you have perched yourself behind the wrong steering wheel if you are looking for a good track car.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Buying OEM parts at a cheaper price than the dealer is always a good idea (assuming you have a good mechanic to do the work). Looking to rebuild a part that's not meant to be rebuilt is not. When it's part of such a critical system, it's really not a good idea.
i doubt there will ever be a rebuild kit for ABC cars. no one has ever made one for the 6.9 shocks.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Besides, ABC transforms the comfort of the heavy S-Class when cornering due to the marked decrease in body roll during normal driving. It doesn't improve its lap times so much as make normal twisty roads a joy to negotiate. It doesn't repeal the laws of physics, but it does a great job of making the car feel lighter and more stiffly sprung. That and variable suspension height are what ABC is designed to do, and it does them remarkably well.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by SS55AMG
can ABC struts be rebuilt? my 01 S55 has a leaking left rear strut and the dealer
wants $2k to replace the strut! Is there any source to rebuild these struts or a
less expensive source than the dealer ?
Ummm .... they need to be replaced in pairs. There is no rebuild worth talking about given it is a safety item.

Import them from Germany by placing an order with MBENZNL. Much cheaper IIRC.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
1)your conjecture is based on no facts. considering the mercedes ABC system is the only one of its kind in the automotive world, your quip that it is the worst engineered is nonsensical.

2)adding $10k+ to the msrp of the slk or clk in order to include the ABC system is out of the question and pointless. the curb weight does not justify it when springs and shocks work just fine. and how your can call it overpriced when there is not competitive system from another manufacturer i cannot understand.

1) Every single models that have this system failed in mechanical or/and electronic !!!! Almost everyone I know that own the S and CL class has problems with the system on very low mileages cars. It the worst engineered because a good engineered system is based on how well it built and how well it works NOT just what it does !!!

2) That at least $20K system on a car that 99.9% of the owners drive the speed limit and never ever see the track. I have never seen an S/CL on any track excepted in F1 racing and that because it just for advertise.They should have the air suspension system like on the E-class with trouble free.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
1) Every single models that have this system failed in mechanical or/and electronic !!!! Almost everyone I know that own the S and CL class has problems with the system on very low mileages cars. It the worst engineered because a good engineered system is based on how well it built and how well it works NOT just what it does !!!

2) That at least $20K system on a car that 99.9% of the owners drive the speed limit and never ever see the track. I have never seen an S/CL on any track excepted in F1 racing and that because it just for advertise.They should have the air suspension system like on the E-class with trouble free.
All I can say is drive an S with ABC and one with Airmatic. One feel taut and responsive and the other boaty and floaty. You don't need a track! I also see as many Airmatic failures on this board (pumps, seals, struts) as I see ABC problems. I had one problem (valve block) on two cars (S55 and S65)with 75K miles between them, and it was fixed on warranty. I'd never consider an S without ABC.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
I have 2 leaking struts on my 20k mile SL, £2k for the parts is stupid, they are easy to fit, just trying to get the best price at the moment

Malcolm
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM

00 S430
rebuilding front struts on 00 s430

I just replaced one rear struts myself and I have to say it wasnt very easy. after removing both back seats and shelf panel to access the bolts and air line connections I still had to remove the wheels and unbolt the lower control arm to get it out. I took it apart to see if it was repairable but all the parts are too specialized and the bag portion of it was torn. the ends of the bag clamped in a press type ring and the whole thing is house in a cylinder type cover. This is a self contained unit designed to be replaced. No messing with this one.
After getting around that I now have the dilemna of a failed front. I read that there is a rebuild kit w/part #s, tool and everything for around $180.00. Sounds good but does that repair the bag portion or the gas dampening portion of it. My problem is with both. The bag portion of it has come apart at the seat and the sealing collar is oil deteriorated by what looks like the leaking shock. Does anyone have any experience with rebuilding these hands on. I would greatly appreciate it. 00s430 w/Airmatic no abc
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I keep hearing of ABC failures. My SL55 is track driven regularly, as well as driven fairly hard, and has been flawless.

The ABC system transforms what should be a pig into a descent handling sportscar. The S65/63/600/500 cars that we have tuned make good use of the system as well.

I am surprised that nobody has come up with a standard shock/spring set up to replace them for owners not wishing to spend the money on them, like there are for Land Rover air suspensions.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:31 PM

Mercedes S500 Sport
I am getting mine replaced by a Independent Mercedes Tech. He charges $450.00. Parts is about $1150 for the new OEM rear ABC strut (Retail is $1,368.00). PM me if you want to get one. Mine was leaking pretty badly. Sucks. Regret getting ABC now. Will probably regret it even more if the other 3 fail too. Knock on wood. Anyways, the tech guy says that the system will need to be bled to force all the air bubbles out. I told him just to flush it with the new ABC oil and he said he was going to do that anyways. So $450 in labor isn't too bad considering he's doing all that. If you're in the Bay Area and need this done, PM me and I'll give you the contact. Damn Mercedes.....not what you expect from a $100k car.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 PM

yup, I bit the bullet and went to the local dealer and spent about $1700 installed for a new left rear strut. they dont need to be replaced in pairs.
I dont think I would try to install one my self. after installing and flushing, they
"rodeoed" the suspension. everything is well now. hopefully none of the others go bad soon.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by Ansonnn
I am getting mine replaced by a Independent Mercedes Tech. He charges $450.00. Parts is about $1150 for the new OEM rear ABC strut (Retail is $1,368.00). PM me if you want to get one. Mine was leaking pretty badly. Sucks. Regret getting ABC now. Will probably regret it even more if the other 3 fail too. Knock on wood. Anyways, the tech guy says that the system will need to be bled to force all the air bubbles out. I told him just to flush it with the new ABC oil and he said he was going to do that anyways. So $450 in labor isn't too bad considering he's doing all that. If you're in the Bay Area and need this done, PM me and I'll give you the contact. Damn Mercedes.....not what you expect from a $100k car.
I have my SL500 at the dealer now because of a strut leak. They want to replace both rear struts at $4195. A little steep for a car with only 35,000 miles on it and a cost of over $100k like you said. I'm in the SF Bay area where is this indepedant shop. I did find a rebuilder in Florida that has a lifetime warrent @ $650 ea plus core, but if I install them they still need to be computer reset.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 AM

I bought my struts for Rover Revonations...Excellent company to deal with aifetime warranty

http://www.rover-renovations.com/MER...arts-s/527.htm
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM

124.052 230.374
The ABC sys is a very good system. the fluid mercedes uses is special in that it has an UNUSUALLY HIGH combustion temp (flash point) the stuff is almost non flammable.the only way to make it not burn is to load it down with additives Thats why MB and Pentisin is so concerned about shelf life (5yr) this sythetic based hyd oil breaks down in fewer heat cycles than one would expect from a hydralic fluid.. but then again the ABC fluid gets damn hot even in soft mellow driving unless u live at the bonneville salt flats and never leave !!. its mercedes quest for saftey that drives this need for THAT fluid (CH11) its the same deal with R230&R129 R170 convertible top fluid.. THAT stuff is almost non flammabel for a good reason with a potential fire source 12 inches from the noggin.so in other words ABC needs pertiodic fluid changes 20K or once a year MAX even tho the owners manual in my 03 SL55 mentions NOTHING about service intervals...