S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Purpose Of Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 and 2000 BMW 740I
Purpose Of Warranty

Hi guys, I know that when it comes to warranty it like they say " better safe than sorry".

My questions are what does it really cover. I have never done or had to perform and major work on my MB except for tune ups and an occasional problem with my rear driver side window not working but my local MB mechanic fix it without charge. When should my warranty come into affect, I have two years remaining and I don't want to have a situation where when I need it I don't have it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
So you obviously have an extended warrenty on your 01 s500? I know many people that use this site have had differnet problems with their W220's you can search the site for them all. I haven't had any problems either, however a warrenty gives you some insurance. Should you have a problem large or small your warrenty should cover them.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
yep, it will break if that what you are hoping for
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Overall, no issues with my 01 S430. I am quite please with the vehicle performance over the years, no maint problems yet. However, I elected to go with an Extended Warranty for additional protection.

Big "H"
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by Big "H"
Overall, no issues with my 01 S430. I am quite please with the vehicle performance over the years, no maint problems yet. However, I elected to go with an Extended Warranty for additional protection.

Big "H"
I guess it depends on WHICH extended warranty you got... Term, miles, etc
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Extended Warranty

I have an extended warranty on my 03 S500. It cost me about 4k but I feel it is worth it. If/should you decide to buy one make certain that the Navigation/Command center is covered. A lot of companies will not cover them. The one I have covers everything including seals and will lump mutiple problems repaired at the same time as one incident. I have what they call "Luxury Platinum" coverage which is everything except regular maintenance. Covered at any dealer in the USA.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM

2001 S500 and 2000 BMW 740I
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
I have an extended warranty on my 03 S500. It cost me about 4k but I feel it is worth it. If/should you decide to buy one make certain that the Navigation/Command center is covered. A lot of companies will not cover them. The one I have covers everything including seals and will lump mutiple problems repaired at the same time as one incident. I have what they call "Luxury Platinum" coverage which is everything except regular maintenance. Covered at any dealer in the USA.
ibeforreal,

What type of warranty do you have and where did you get it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty

Don't know if we are suppose to give out company names on this site but you can send me a private email and I will respond with the name.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Don't know if we are suppose to give out company names on this site but you can send me a private email and I will respond with the name.
wouldnt you be doing a favor for the users and promoting the company?

lol ofc you can give names out.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty

The company is Warranty Direct. I did a lot of research before purchasing a warranty and their's was by far the best. They are the same people who sell the warranties to the dealerships. Might be a bit more expensive than some of the others but I want them around when I need them. As I mentioned earlier everything on my car is covered. http://www.warrantydirect.com
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM

The company is Warranty Direct. I did a lot of research before purchasing a warranty and their's was by far the best. They are the same people who sell the warranties to the dealerships. Might be a bit more expensive than some of the others but I want them around when I need them. As I mentioned earlier everything on my car is covered. http://www.warrantydirect.com
They don't cover ANY AMG models
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
THAT **** IS MAD EXPEnsive

ill stick to AAAuto for good price.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty

I also checked into AAA just pray that your nav system or the command center doesn't fail. Also, those seals (the things that most folks don't remember to ask about) are considered "wear and tear" and you will have to foot the bill yourself. I had a 2001 S500 that went into the shop for a electrical problem. Total cost of the bill $7600, it cost me $50 (my deductible). Actually I didn't even have to pay that because well uh............you know the rest of the story. During the time I owned that car (before it burst into flames unexpectedly) in a two year period it had over $10,000 in repairs...........my cost $0. So yes I may spend $4k for a warranty but yours truly sleeps very good at night. Besides, not too many warranty companies will cover the AMG models. Even Mercedes folks cringe when they see one pull up to the service bay. Most companies rank them right up there with the Land Rover which is consider a serious piece of S_ _ t. It comes down to personal choices. Good luck with AAA.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I also checked into AAA just pray that your nav system or the command center doesn't fail. Also, those seals (the things that most folks don't remember to ask about) are considered "wear and tear" and you will have to foot the bill yourself. I had a 2001 S500 that went into the shop for a electrical problem. Total cost of the bill $7600, it cost me $50 (my deductible). Actually I didn't even have to pay that because well uh............you know the rest of the story. During the time I owned that car (before it burst into flames unexpectedly) in a two year period it had over $10,000 in repairs...........my cost $0. So yes I may spend $4k for a warranty but yours truly sleeps very good at night. Besides, not too many warranty companies will cover the AMG models. Even Mercedes folks cringe when they see one pull up to the service bay. Most companies rank them right up there with the Land Rover which is consider a serious piece of S_ _ t. It comes down to personal choices. Good luck with AAA.
ouch, who needs navi
so they dont cover navi or comm.

What seals , can you pelase describe it?

also what type of problem costs $7600 ?
you had the Xtra Care package with ur S(from warranty direct)?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty

Well the $7600 problems was caused by a leaky transmission seal (at least that is what I was told). Apparently, the transmission fluid leaked throughout the entire electrical system and the complete wiring had to be replaced. Most of the cost was labor. Well in most cases when they have to repair anything that has to do with seals the warranty companies will say that is normal wear and tear.....hence money out of pocket.

Interestingly enough my car went up in flames after the $10k spent on repairs. Mercedes inspectors checked the car out but found "no fault on their part". However, a couple of months later they came out with a recall stating that the hadraulic line could potentially cause a fire and needed to be replaced.

All I'm saying is just make sure that your warranty company is there when you need them.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Well the $7600 problems was caused by a leaky transmission seal (at least that is what I was told). Apparently, the transmission fluid leaked throughout the entire electrical system and the complete wiring had to be replaced. Most of the cost was labor. Well in most cases when they have to repair anything that has to do with seals the warranty companies will say that is normal wear and tear.....hence money out of pocket.

Interestingly enough my car went up in flames after the $10k spent on repairs. Mercedes inspectors checked the car out but found "no fault on their part". However, a couple of months later they came out with a recall stating that the hadraulic line could potentially cause a fire and needed to be replaced.

All I'm saying is just make sure that your warranty company is there when you need them.
Yea lol ive read about that July 2007 recall. I wonder if all the carts on the market now acutlly got that issue fixed rofl...
what kind of fire you had, a big one lol? how did you put it out lol?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Cool

Gordon - Based on his response I have a feeling he saved himself (i.e. got out of the car) and then had a "Burn Baby, Burn" chant going on as it became completely consumed in flames. I know that there comes a point in a relationship where you go... Awe, F...IT!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty

NDABUNKA, you're absolutely right. I was actually at the airport when it happened. I even posted pictures in this forum. It took the fire police about 20 minutes to get to the car and by the time they did it was completely engulfed in flames. Once I was out with all my belongings all I could say was just be totaled and it was completely gone. Did manage to retrieve my AMG wheels only one on the right front was damaged. That is where the fire started.

Here is the link to the aftermath. https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...7&d=1165370689
Old 10-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Extended Warranty

I just got done looking at the terms for Warranty Direct for the E-550 I will be getting soon. Their 6 yr. 75,000 mi Luxury "ultimate" coverage would run about $3000 with a $100 deductible. I will compare this with what my dealer quotes me when I buy the car. I tend to agree with IBFORREAL that this Co. may be a good choice (and what others have said on this post). I plan to sell the car about 5 1/2 yrs. out and intend that the extended warranty will get me something on the "private sale" end as well as protect me from end of yr. 4 to time of sale.