S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

unlock your DVD command unit for US car for only 189.00

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05' SL500 (Sold) - 01' S430 - 05' Yama R1- 02' ML500 (sold)
unlock your DVD command unit for US car for only 189.00

Check this out

tv mb is the professional TV and DVD unblocker for many current Mercedes Benz Models.

This unique comfort controller can be installed by anyone with the help of our detailed installation manual. Installation requires little electronic skills and is done without cutting wires or soldering! The module comes with all wires and parts needed.
Note: Not a video input. Allows existing TV-/DVD- Equipment to be operated by the passenger!

I purchased the roof module, and it works great. Now thinking about the DVD unlock module.

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...ew&idlistpos=2

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/db/sm.../en.php?mode=1
Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 S600
Links don't work.

I see it's a European link though - which probably means the unlock is for Euro Command units (which won't work for US models, IIRC).....

I found their site and product. Interesting. I've sent them an email requesting specific details to see if the unlock really works on US models. If so (and install is reasonably easy), this would be a nice product!!

Anyone else have experience with this?

Last edited by OBXTucker; 12-15-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The links provided on the "Not Found" page - http://www.wilhelmy-it.com/ - did work. The company has an address in, and ships from, the U.S.

The product information for Mercedes cars is at https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...tegories&cat=2 - there are some interesting products in addition to the "TV-MB" device.

The installation manuals for the various MB models can be downloaded from [https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/index.php - click on the line that starts "TVMB."

The installation manual for the MOST bus COMANDs through 2006 says "With this function enabled it is possible to play DVDs (if dvd-enabled COMMAND system present) or watch TV (if TV enabled COMMAND present) while driving. Usually the system prevents any multimedia operation while the car is moving. This feature allows the passenger(s) to enjoy multimedia content while travelling. " I cannot tell exactly what they mean by "dvd-enabled COMMAND" (sic). They may mean Euro units with the DVD video chipset installed, or units that have already been adapted for an external DVD player. In that case, all the device does is override the lockout for in-motion video.

U.S. MOST COMANDs through MY2006 are already "unlocked" - but they lack the DVD video decoder chipset altogether, so they play only the audio, in motion or not.

I have also sent them an e-mail with specific questions on U.S. specification COMAND units having built-in DVD readers. It will be most interesting to see if the device supplies the chipset for DVD video decoding, or just what it does.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-16-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM

'04 S600
Sky,
Nice catch on the manuals. I read through them and they appear very complete! I'll be curious to see if this actually works!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM

'04 S600
From the emails I've exchanged with them, it appears we will need to have the DVD video enabled before this product will work. From what I'm gathering, this product only allows the dvd video function to work while the vehicle is moving.

Sky, any feedback from your questions?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
I just received this email today..

Can anyone decipher it?

Hello,

this module will enable dvd while driving if dvd video+audio is
installed and enabled in your car.

Best Regards,

Sven Tornow

MODS4CARS USA

+1-310-9109055
+49-30-868705541

www.mods4cars.com
Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Disappointing reply

my06clk,

Based solely on that language I believe it means:

The short version - if you can display DVD video on OE COMANDs while stationary, it will allow display in motion. If you cannot, it won't do anything.

The long version:
1) the device will enable video in motion for DVD-equipped Euro spec COMANDs; they have DVD audio and video decode capability already. This will negate the difficulties in accessing any "special" or "secret" menus, which has been made increasingly difficult by MB.
2) for unmodiified U.S. spec DVD equipped COMANDs from '04-'06, which have DVD audio in motion but lack any DVD video decode capability, it will do nothing. Apparently the device does not supply the missing DVD video chipset.
3) for '07 and '08 U.S. spec COMANDs that have DVD audio and video while stationary, it will allow DVD video while in motion.

Essentially the language indicates the device is useless in the U.S. for vehicles pre-dating the '07 model year, unless one has installed a Euro spec COMAND with DVD video capability.

The 3rd party devices that allow display of DVD video and audio in U.S. spec COMANDs already allow video in motion; no "lockout" is present in the U.S. units because they could not decode DVD video anyway. So, the device does nothing for them.

The manufacturer has not yet responded to my e-mail, which asked very specific questions in regard to the U.S. spec COMANDs equipped for DVD audio. But I believe we have our answer.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-18-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
my06clk,

2) for unmodiified U.S. spec DVD equipped COMANDs from '04-'06, which have DVD audio in motion but lack any DVD video decode capability, it will do nothing. Apparently the device does not supply the missing DVD video chipset.

The manufacturer has not yet responded to my e-mail, which asked very specific questions in regard to the U.S. spec COMANDs equipped for DVD audio. But I believe we have our answer.
I have a few days to wait for UPS delivery so I'm going to try my best to be optimistic in the meantime.
Based on what I know about computers and video, IF you are just grabbing a signal sending it to a device where you can manipulated it ( like an effects processor or in this case a decoder ) then send it in RGB format to a screen, this device would work because in this case it doesn't matter if the host hardware has a decoder installed or not. I'm hoping this is the case.

I'm a MAC person by nature, but you know if you have a PC running windows XP and it was installed on a computer with a regular CD-Rom, if you add a DVD rom, Your windows media Player will not play the DVD video even the latest version as I just found out days ago. In order to allow WMP to play a dvd movie you have to install decoder software from one of many MS approved vendors. This essentially grabs the unencoded DVD signal from the reader, encodes it, and forwards it to the software player.

Kinda dumb for and operating system IMO, But I learned something when I had to do this last week in Miami. and this is why I was so excited when I received your P.M about this device:

A. The screen, and the video had no influence on the computers ability to display video therefore just about any (color) screen will display movies.

b. it was the 3rd party software that resided in series between the physical reader, and the digital bus to the software player that housed all of the decoding and processing information.

So with that being said,We know 3 things about our comands.

1) they will read and display information from a DVD ( hence the blocked screen message) provides proof that there is in fact a signal being sent.

2) The DVD audio remains intact and is streamed safely to the system.( you can hear the movie fine you just can't see it. )

3)comands already have physical mechanisms in place to tap into the signal(s) that the DVD player is outputting.,, and the physical mechanism to tap into the video signal TO the screen itself. I knew this when I took my comand apart a few months ago. All off the components are modular I just didn't know what was where.

So......

All you really need is a box that is formatted to do item 3 of the above, and be able to capture and decode this signal and send it straight to the screen thereby eliminating the need for any onboard decoding capability and you are golden!

I think (hope) this is what they have figure out, and what they have done. but the proof will be in the pudding for me on 12/21 when my piece arrives I'll keep you posted..

Last edited by my06clk; 12-19-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good luck with it, my06clk. We'll anxiously await the results of your experiment. Thanks for being the forum's lab rat here.

The only potential hole I see is that the flash screens you reference - warnings, etc - may be generated from a memory chip (the firmware) rather than from the DVD. If our U.S. COMANDs truly lack the video decoder circuitry as we have been told, the initial data read from the inserted disc (identifying the disc as a DVD, standard CD, or mp3 CD) may be what triggers the firmware to display that flash screen, rather than any DVD video output.

I would love to be proved wrong. It would be great news. However, I'm not encouraged by the manufacturer's language in its response to you; and they still haven't responded to my very specific questions on that point.

In your PC example, you're talking about a software decoder (same as the some Macs used with its DVD Player software). A device with a hardware decoder (like a simple tabletop DVD player) does not use a software decoder. I believe our COMANDs use hardware decoders - and in our U.S. versions, the video chipset just isn't there.

I had hoped the device under discussion either provided that chipset, or provided software decoding.

We'll see.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More bad news..

Well..... I received this Email from Sven last night, here was my response... Scroll down to see is reply..

SVEN,

Thanks for the reply..

Okay now I understand bit here is another problem I'm not sure of which you and your company are aware.

In the US, ALL Comands are blocked from 2004-2006 on the S class cars.

Even if a dealer was willing to unblock which they would not because it is illegal in the US, The chipset that decodes the DVD signal is missing from the US version of this command which makes it unable to play dvd video.

Therefore your advertisement Is misleading as it states that it will work for S-class 2004 thru 2006 except where you have stated a circumstance that does not exists on any US comands for those years.

This is most unfortunate as there have been a buzz around mbworld.org forums about your product. AND there has become a lot of interest in being able to provide exactly what your ads claim to offer.

Please advise. I am expecting a delivery on 12/21 of something that I already know will not work.

On 12/19/07 5:02 PM, "Sven Tornow" <tornow@mods4cars.com> wrote:

> If the screen is blocked even at standstill you cannot
> use our module.
>
> Please have a look at the article description it says:
>
> IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
> THIS MODULE DOES NOT PROVIDE A VIDEO INPUT TO YOUR SYSTEM
> IF VIDEO PLAYBACK (DVD and or TV) WORKS WHILE THE CAR IS STOPPED (AND IN
> "P" GEAR), THEN THIS MODULE WILL ALLOW USE WHILE DRIVING (IN "D" GEAR,
> NO SPEED LIMIT).
> THE U.S. VERSION COMMAND SYSTEMS USUALLY HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED BY THE
> DEALER TO ALLOW AT LEAST PLAYBACK WHILE STOPPED WHEREAS EUROPEAN SYSTEMS
> COME WITH THIS FEATURE ENABLED BY FACTORY.
>
>
Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my06clk,

The following quote from Sven is completely wrong.

> THE U.S. VERSION COMMAND SYSTEMS USUALLY HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED BY THE
> DEALER TO ALLOW AT LEAST PLAYBACK WHILE STOPPED WHEREAS EUROPEAN SYSTEMS
> COME WITH THIS FEATURE ENABLED BY FACTORY.

I am completely unaware of any unlocking of a DVD-equipped U.S. spec COMAND through '06 that would allow DVD video to be displayed while not in motion.

It is true that Euro spec COMANDs have DVD video enabled while stationary.

If Sven's statement concerning U.S. spec COMANDs were true, then between the dealer and the device, you could get DVD video in motion in U.S. spec COMANDs.

If it can be done, then I would like for Sven to tell us (or the dealers) how to enable DVD video while stationary in U.S. spec COMANDs, '06 and earlier.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-21-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 PM

'04 S600
Sounds like they're blowing smoke. They need to have some clients post testimonials - and hopefully have some of them come to our boards to discuss how they accomplished the end result......
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting update

Originally Posted by Skylaw
my06clk,

The following quote fron Sven is completely wrong.
Skylaw..

I have informed Sven again that he is is correct about his claim, I just sent him another message last night after he reply wanting to know which advertisement I was referring to.. The good thing is that at least he is communicating, so I remain optimistic at least on that part.

My piece arrives today but I have no plans on taking it out of the box.

I am doing a little digging at the technical level at my SR who is pretty good, to see if in fact I can get something to allow DVD while parking to work. I know this is is a stretch because of what we have learned about the chipset, but I figured its worth a try. At least I will hear the truth about why it can't happen from the horses mouth.

If it can, then Sven's device is back on my "must have" list.

Meanwhile, SVEN is located in Germany so I get a reply from him about every 24hrs in the evenings... I'll wait to see what he has to say on the issue.

I did state in my last message that the website's claim that this unit works on W220 cars is totally false and it should at the very least be noted that it is for Non US vehicles ONLY. so that the the entire N. America would not expect this item to work when it does not.

The trial continues.....

Update..

I just found out from a very reliable inside source what is going on with the 2004-2006 Comands for the S class only.

There IS ( was ) a factory software patch that will actually allow the US comands to function the same as the EURO versions.

THe problem with the patch is, that US regulations mandate that the car MUST in Park while this system is operating.

Therfore, having the system block after 15mph or whatever was not acceptable for 'rule". this was fine for Europe.

The problem with the software is that there was no way to tell it whether the car was in park, or drive, so it would allow DVD in motion all the time.

The "FIX" was to disable it all together and forbid ANY US dealers from using the software to override the video display.

IF any of you own an E-class 2005+, you will notice that when you get into engineering mode there are options to set the speed to unlock the video
Catch for the E, is that there is no DVD player. These W211 comands have that software which prooves that it does exist.

As far as the S goes, the "missing chipset" is just a myth. Since there was a problem getting the system to disable when the car was taken out of park, the whole thing was just aborted, and that is why we who own 2004-thru 2006 W220's have dvd capability but no video.

The factory has corrected the problem and have DVD video while parked beginning 2008 in the new C- class and shortly the W221's.

NOW, I have to wait to see if in fact my "little Box" will completely unlock my video since no one seems to know.

I guess Ill be the first to find out...

Last edited by my06clk; 12-21-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-18-2008, 08:25 PM

04 E55
I'm very interested to see if you had any success with this. What is the current status? Thanks for your reports on this!

I'm looking to upgrade to a 04-05 S500 this Spring and this is one of those options I was hoping to enable.

Last edited by EmDee; 01-18-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update!!!!!!

Originally Posted by EmDee
I'm very interested to see if you had any success with this. What is the current status? Thanks for your reports on this!

I'm looking to upgrade to a 04-05 S500 this Spring and this is one of those options I was hoping to enable.
Sorry guys about this.. I completely forgot to update everyone.....

Well the story is I received the unit, but unfortunately the UPS guy ran it over and smashed the module.

I took pics, contacted the vendor and they had it picked up.

In our final conversations, I explained to them how the US commands were configured for the S class 2004-2006.

They agreed with my explanation and that this module WILL NOT WORK on those vehicles. That being said and my unfortunate delivery incident, they promptly returned my money after they received their damaged merchandise.

For that Part I give them and A++. But I have to say their advertising is very misleading and they need to do their homework before selling something that is claimed to work on an application and it WONT. I think as Bez owners we have had enough of that type of stuff already!!!

They were supposed to put a clarification on their website but I haven't checked to see if they have.

Basically the unit goes on the CAN BUS and a tapped power supply so all of the programming is done inside of the module.This kidnaps the blocked video signal from the CAN and simulates a park signal so the screen stays unblocked when you drive. For those who know about the 2004 thru 2006 W220 Comands, you already know that this configuration CAN NOT make this unit show video because it is blocked electronically at the unit itself and not through the network.

What it will work on is any EURO version of those same comands that will play video while parked. IF your car will play DVD while parked, then this is a nice low priced solution for you. IT is also great for the new W221, W204, etc with the MMI system installed.

To everyone else including myself.. well.. S.O.L is all that comes to mind.

It was a pleasure being the crash test dummy on this.. At least I know now...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the information, MY - most informative, especially regarding the software vs chipset issue!!