S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Aftermarket Warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
94 E320 C, 99 E300 TD
Aftermarket Warranty or not?

New here and need some advice please. Have a great deal on a low mileage 2003 S55. Mercedes warranty expired 8/07. Aftermarket warranty thru my credit union for 5 years-90k is $6,200.00.
They call it "Bumper to Bumper" or "Premium Plan" with a $100.00 ded. The company is in Florida (I'm in CA) Standard Guaranty Insurance Company.

I have read the small print and fully understand the nature of some aftermarket warranties to avoid paying for repairs. The credit union swears they don't have this problem with this company.

Should I self insure myself for that price?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
For the $$ you'd pay, be sure it covers your Airmatic suspension (it would probably describe it as "pneumatic shocks, pump, hoses, relays" and other named components; or your Active Body Control System ("hydraulic shocks, pump, etc., if that's what your car has). The warranty will probably not use Mercedes' terms. However, if the functional components are no described, you're not covered - and "control arms, springs, tie rods" doesn't do it.

Also for that price, be sure electronics are covered. Radio, CD/DVD readers, navigation system, handsfree phone system, and the like.

Lots of "bumper to bumper" warranty plans leave such components out.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Skylaw
For the $$ you'd pay, be sure it covers your Airmatic suspension (it would probably describe it as "pneumatic shocks, pump, hoses, relays" and other named components; or your Active Body Control System ("hydraulic shocks, pump, etc., if that's what your car has). The warranty will probably not use Mercedes' terms. However, if the functional components are no described, you're not covered - and "control arms, springs, tie rods" doesn't do it.

Also for that price, be sure electronics are covered. Radio, CD/DVD readers, navigation system, handsfree phone system, and the like.

Lots of "bumper to bumper" warranty plans leave such components out.
As it's an S55, it will have ABC, not Airmatic. The warranty needs to cover "hydraulic suspension" or "hydro-pneumatic suspension." "Pneumatic suspension" or "air suspension" will not cover you.

BTW, the most important components to be covered would be pump, valves and seals.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM

94 E320 C, 99 E300 TD
In part the Suspension Coverage states: Strut bar bushing and suspension air bags. Variable dampening suspension including mode selector switch, control module and actuator, compressor, air bags, height sensor and seals and gaskets. Are these words sufficient to cover what the S55 has?

Radio and CD player are not covered but the GPS is.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by dr256
In part the Suspension Coverage states: Strut bar bushing and suspension air bags. Variable dampening suspension including mode selector switch, control module and actuator, compressor, air bags, height sensor and seals and gaskets. Are these words sufficient to cover what the S55 has?

Radio and CD player are not covered but the GPS is.

Thanks for your help in advance.
I wouldn't count on it. It's describing a standard air suspension, but yours is hydraulic. I'd get something in writing that the compressor, valve blocks, hyrdraulic lines, seals, sensors, actuators, etc. of the Active Body Control hydraulic active suspension are covered. I suspect they'll say no.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
New here and need some advice please. Have a great deal on a low mileage 2003 S55. Mercedes warranty expired 8/07. Aftermarket warranty thru my credit union for 5 years-90k is $6,200.00.
They call it "Bumper to Bumper" or "Premium Plan" with a $100.00 ded. The company is in Florida (I'm in CA) Standard Guaranty Insurance Company.

I have read the small print and fully understand the nature of some aftermarket warranties to avoid paying for repairs. The credit union swears they don't have this problem with this company.

Should I self insure myself for that price?
Both Whoover and Skylaw are correct on this... but I think that this is just waaayyy too much $ for a warranty. if you have to pay that much for a used car warranty, it makes you wonder if its at all worth it... 6500 plus what you are putting into the deal Has to be close to what you can get a newer car for under warranty even on a lease...

But that aside.... Be very careful as whoover stated about those warranty companies.. Very few actually will be of any assistance to you if you have some catastrophic suspension issues...

My opinion is slightly one-sided because I am just not into those warranties but if you must, try to find someone who will be very specific about the coverage that pertain to your vehicle keeping in mind that your vehicle is unlike many of the "other" vehicles they cover so that basic catch-all language might leave you in a jam as it may not apply to your car at all.

I understand that company in Ontario was fairly popular with benz cars.. MErcury. Did you try them? I may be mistaken but they just popped in my head.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
This guy did a great job for me. I don't think there is a better contract.

chryslerservicecontracts.com- michael 866-278-8823

Tell him LetsJet told you and let me know how he does for you.

Good luck

Actually just read this is an '03.... Depending on miles he might not be able to help. Give him a call.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
The warranty I got for my car is a 3yr/36k for 2480 and Its supposed to cover everything but the stereo.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
The reason I didnt get Bumper to Bumper is because it covers only Mechanical Parts accoring to description.

Mechanical is not electrical.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Here's my warranty

1875 for 3 yrs, Dealer told me it should cover everythnig, But we'll see.

Platnium Coverage

►Gas Engine: All internal lubricated parts: oil pump, pick up screen, pistons, rings, connecting rods, main and rod bearings, wrist pins, crankshaft, internal timing chain or gears, timing belts, push rods, rocker arms and shafts, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs and retainers, camshaft and bearings, hydraulic and solid lifters, distributor shaft, intake and exhaust manifolds, harmonic balancer and bolt. Engine block and cylinder heads are covered only if damaged as a result of a failure of an internal lubricated covered part. Cylinder head and manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. Seals and gaskets, with the exception of cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets, are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Diesel Engine: (only with Applicable Surcharge) All of the gas engine components named above, as well as, the fuel distributor, fuel injection pump, fuel regulator and injectors. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered component. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Transmission: All internal lubricated parts of a manual or automatic transmission, including torque and lock up converters, flexplate and flywheel. The transmission case, gaskets and seals are covered only as a result of the failure of a covered component. (Exclusions are clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, linkage, cables, shifter, electronic switches, solenoids and clutch hydraulic cylinders). Coverage limited to above named components.

►Drive axle: All internal lubricated parts, including ring and pinion gears, spider gears, side gears, bearings, bushings, spacers, yokes, drive shafts, universal joints and CV joints. CV joints are not covered if the CV joint boots are torn or damaged. (Exclusions are CV joint boots, locking hubs and wheel hubs). Drive axle housings, front or rear, are covered only due to the failure of a covered component. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Four Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive: (only with Applicable Surcharge) All internal lubricated parts, drive gears, sprockets, chains, forks and bearings. Transfer case/housing is covered only if damaged by an internal lubricated part. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Turbo/Supercharger: (only with Applicable Surcharge) All internal lubricated parts, vanes, shafts, bearings, and housing (if damaged by the failure of a covered part). Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Turbo/Supercharger must be factory installed for this coverage to apply. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Air Conditioning: (Factory installed only) Accumulator, evaporator, clutch, compressor, condenser and dryer. Refrigerant, evacuate and re-charge are not included. (Exclusions are component failure due to contamination of refrigerant oil, A/C conversion from Freon to other chemicals and any retrofit process). Coverage limited to above named components.

►Steering: Manual and power steering gearbox, rack and pinion unit (short rack) and power steering pump, center drag link and pitman arm. (Exclusion: alignment). Coverage limited to above named components.

►Electrical: Alternator, solenoid, starter motor, generator, voltage regulator, front and rear wiper motors, front and rear washer pump, power window motors, ignition module, keyless entry transmitter and receiver, power seat motors, power door lock actuators, power mirror motors, rear window defroster switch, power sunroof motor, power antenna motor and fuel pump. (Exclusions: failures due to any external force breaking the component, i.e. accident, vandalism, misuse). Coverage limited to above named components.

►Cooling System: Electric fan motor, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat and gasket, radiator and heater core. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Brakes: Calipers, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and power brake booster. Also, the following ABS components are covered: electronic control processor, pressure modulator valve, wheel speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, isolation dump valve and accumulator. (Exclusions: linings, rotors, pads, drums, hardware and any component failure due to brake fluid contamination). Coverage limited to above named components.

►Suspension: Upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm shafts and/or bushings, stabilizer bars, torsion bars and spindles. Coverage limited to above named components.

►Seals and Gaskets: Seals and gaskets are covered only if required in conjunction with a covered repair. Cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. Coverage limited to above named components.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 AM

94 E320 C, 99 E300 TD
One thing I have found out before I posted the question is you cannot buy a aftermarket warranty on-line (at least legally) in California. You must go through a dealer, auto broker, bank, credit union etc. The price really goes up once the original Mercedes warranty has expired. I almost passed out when they quoted me $6,200. I can get "4/40k for $2,460 or 5/50k for $3,982" (all $100 deductibles) comparing to westcoast5's warranty these seem inline. The quote on the 5/90k goes from $6200 to $5200 if the deductible is increased to $150.

I have come across several companies that will not even write an aftermarket warranty for an S55 that does not have any of the original Mercedes warranty left. "Warranty Direct" will not write on an S55 period. After your posts I've come to the realization that most (or all) "aftermarket" companies are going to have loopholes in their parts recognition of an S55. I feel like my money will be on a craps table (on the Don't)! This is why I was thinking of self insuring myself.

my06clk: your post gave me the idea to ask my local Mercedes dealer who they use as a aftermarket warranty company, and who would (if any) cover an S55's specific suspension parts (I'm waiting for their response). I will also research Mercury.

Letsjet: I will call your guy tomorrow thank you for the referral!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
One thing I have found out before I posted the question is you cannot buy a aftermarket warranty on-line (at least legally) in California. You must go through a dealer, auto broker, bank, credit union etc. The price really goes up once the original Mercedes warranty has expired. I almost passed out when they quoted me $6,200. I can get "4/40k for $2,460 or 5/50k for $3,982" (all $100 deductibles) comparing to westcoast5's warranty these seem inline. The quote on the 5/90k goes from $6200 to $5200 if the deductible is increased to $150.

I have come across several companies that will not even write an aftermarket warranty for an S55 that does not have any of the original Mercedes warranty left. "Warranty Direct" will not write on an S55 period. After your posts I've come to the realization that most (or all) "aftermarket" companies are going to have loopholes in their parts recognition of an S55. I feel like my money will be on a craps table (on the Don't)! This is why I was thinking of self insuring myself.

my06clk: your post gave me the idea to ask my local Mercedes dealer who they use as a aftermarket warranty company, and who would (if any) cover an S55's specific suspension parts (I'm waiting for their response). I will also research Mercury.

Letsjet: I will call your guy tomorrow thank you for the referral!
I agree with you.. Keep your money and put the 6250 somehwere as a maintenance fund and let it do something for you.. If you research, you'll find that the majority of people who spend that kind of money on maintenance are..

1. Very unlucky people who buy car that had problems already.. ( research the history of your car thoroughly and have it checked before purchase)

2. Folks who take dealerships word as a commandment and do whatever they say without checking here and other places for better advise and prices..

You don;t have to be a DIY'er, but If you apply these principles, you will find your cost of ownership reduced greatly. and you will better enjoy driving and repairing your car.

ALso remember. Even though your car is out of warranty, Mercedes is still committed to providing you 24hr roadside assistance and this is one of the reasons I still buy their cars...This means gas, batteries, towing, and in some cases like I experienced, phone conversation with an on-call technician who actually troubleshot with me on the phone before we decided if he needed to send out a tow truck or not.

Fortunately I managed to get the car started and drove it to the dealer the next morning. They verified the problem, i paid them 90 bucks, bought the parts over the counter, came home and installed them and save myself 60% of their quote.

IF you have a dealer troubleshoot a problem for you, you still have the option of getting it repaired somewhere else and they will only charge you for the hour or so it took to find the problem.

good luck

Last edited by my06clk; 01-10-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Me too, 6,200 in the bank will purchase many visits to the dealer. If it's a good car to start out with, or has already been through some of the things that go wrong with these cars already. You may have the money longer than you think.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by my06clk
I agree with you.. Keep your money and put the 6250 somehwere as a maintenance fund and let it do something for you.. If you research, you'll find that the majority of people who spend that kind of money on maintenance are..

1. Very unlucky people who buy car that had problems already.. ( research the history of your car thoroughly and have it checked before purchase)

2. Folks who take dealerships word as a commandment and do whatever they say without checking here and other places for better advise and prices..

You don;t have to be a DIY'er, but If you apply these principles, you will find your cost of ownership reduced greatly. and you will better enjoy driving and repairing your car.

ALso remember. Even though your car is out of warranty, Mercedes is still committed to providing you 24hr roadside assistance and this is one of the reasons I still buy their cars...This means gas, batteries, towing, and in some cases like I experienced, phone conversation with an on-call technician who actually troubleshot with me on the phone before we decided if he needed to send out a tow truck or not.

Fortunately I managed to get the car started and drove it to the dealer the next morning. They verified the problem, i paid them 90 bucks, bought the parts over the counter, came home and installed them and save myself 60% of their quote.

IF you have a dealer troubleshoot a problem for you, you still have the option of getting it repaired somewhere else and they will only charge you for the hour or so it took to find the problem.

good luck
+1

S55 warranty is impossible to get it

Do the piggy bank method.