Weird fuel filter issue.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Weird fuel filter issue.....

So I did a full service on my car a few months back and changed all of my filters including the fuel filter. I noticed immediately after installing the new fuel filter that my car didn;t quite respond the way it did with the old filter. Yes it ran, and I got crazy good gas mileage, but it seemed to lack that little extra oooomph that it had.. This bugged me to dealth.. So I could tell there was something going on with the fuel so I decided to remove the fuel filter again..

This time instead of using the fake Fram ( I don;t know the manufacturer but it was from india somewhere and looked like a fram box purchased at Autozone) I ordered a purolator filter. As soon as I drove the car with the new filter WOW.. WHat a major performance difference!! I didn't want to shell out $125 for a filter from the dealer because I thought that was waaay too much.. BUT, there was also a major difference in these two A/M filters...

Here's the differences I want to share with you guys...

There is obviously a preset built in for the fuel pressure regulation on these filters.

The first filter ( fake *** Autozone $35.00 ) although it worked, had a different setting which slightly lowered the pressure at the fuel rail. Not enough to cause idling or hesitation issues, but just enough to take the spunk right out of the engine. Especially noticeable at take-off and medium acceleration...

The Second filter ( purolator $43.00 ) gave an immediate performance increase because there was a lot more pressure available at the fuel rail.
Very good response at take off like it was before, and nice and peppy during medium acceleration...

Long story short, don't buy the filter Autozone sells that looks like a FRAM because it is not and your car will not perform at its best with that filter.

Advanced carries a purolater that acts just like the factory filter.. There are other filters like the one Autohaus sells that i'm sure work fine, but I just wanted to share my experience with these two puppies....

Funny thing is the other week I had my car at the dealer for an alignment and I asked this SR. "Hey do you know how much pressure should be present at the fuel rail and could you check my car to see if it's correct?"
HE said "Duh, I don;t think there is a spec. but you should have used a mercedes filter they are better"I said I want the pressure checked and verified first but he was being such a know-it all trying to sell me something, he never wrote it down and they didnt check.."

And this just so happened to be the one time they didn't give me the follow-up call to see how my service went.

What an ***... I already knew I had an issue with my baby because I know her very well.. I just wanted them to confirm my suspicion for me. I was even willing and ready to purchase their $125.00 filter just out of gratitude that day if he would have even bothered to check.. but he didn't sooo......
Sometimes these guys just **** me off!! I wish my normal SR was there that day he would have look for me just out of curiosity because he saw how curious I was about the situation...

Anyway problem solved... and I still came out $45.00 ahead.

Last edited by my06clk; 02-23-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
nice write up, how hard is it to get under there and change this?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 02S430
nice write up, how hard is it to get under there and change this?
Actually its pretty easy.. there is a cover just forward of the rear drivers wheel that has two #10 plastic bolts holding it on. YOu just have to raise the car a bt but not off the ground to get access to the cover.You remove that and the fuel pump and fuel filter are right there.. You will have to install different high pressure hose clamps with the new filter because the OEM ones are one time use. I just cut the hoses close as possible t o the old filter so that I wouldn't have to replace the hoses there is plenty length there for that.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e55
What was the difference in fuel pressure between the two?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
The OEM filter is made by Mahle. The same filter (minus the MB box) is available for less than $40 at many parts warehouses. The Bosch filter (which some people feel is better) sells for about the same and is widely available.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55texas
What was the difference in fuel pressure between the two?
I don't know exactly, but when I pressed the bleed button with the new filter, the pressure or the fuel squirting out into my rag was a lot stronger. THat;s when I knew I had hit a home run