S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is it even possible with intrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes s500
Is it even possible with intrument cluster?

I couldnt pass emissions test because my check engine light wouldnt go on for few sec when you start the car, so I took my car to the dealership, and they told me that my cluster is non-american and its from Canada, thats why my light doesnt work, and thats why its not covered by the warranty, so I have to get new one for 1500$ from them with labor and core charge. my car is clean title, bought it from a dealer, how the heck its even possible to have a non-american cluster in it? what should I do now, all I need is to pass emissions test, can I just buy another one and use it for a day and the sell it? or I still have to programm it to drive?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
try a different smog insp location

im sure someone with more knowledge will respond to your thread,but i think you should see the check eng lt illuminate during the start up bit test.even if it was speced for a different country.there are other components that will trigger check eng,not simply emission controls.call the seller and ask where they were getting the smog cert done.you shouldnt even consider replacing the cluster,find a way around it.These forums are what make it possible for us to own these cars.congrats on buying/owning one of these truly remarkable automobiles. bones
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

S
Originally Posted by gixxerblack
I couldnt pass emissions test because my check engine light wouldnt go on for few sec when you start the car, so I took my car to the dealership, and they told me that my cluster is non-american and its from Canada, thats why my light doesnt work, and thats why its not covered by the warranty, so I have to get new one for 1500$ from them with labor and core charge. my car is clean title, bought it from a dealer, how the heck its even possible to have a non-american cluster in it? what should I do now, all I need is to pass emissions test, can I just buy another one and use it for a day and the sell it? or I still have to programm it to drive?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pts/604514301.html

Was looking for an exhaust and saw this.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
my cars canadian specs...i get the cel on start up
Old 03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
well my car is american and intrument cluster is canadian
Old 03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
well my car is american and intrument cluster is canadian
WHere do you live? In what state? I've never heard of the emissions light thing usually its the other way around..

Anyway I think your local dealer is full of S&*T with that Canadian MFD statement...

YOu should go to a different dealer OR another inspection station. OR both.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
Seattle, WA that is, I tried different emisson stations, but they already have it in the system and the first Q that they asked was if I fixed my car.
when you start the car all the warning lights suppost to illuminate for few seconds and they go away, all my lights do that except CEL, and thats a must in WA.
I need to prove it to the dealer that they full of BS, ppl on other forums say that its a nationwide recall, and they suppost to replace it under the warranty. does anybody has a copy of a letter that says its a nationwide recall?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Seattle, WA that is, I tried different emisson stations, but they already have it in the system and the first Q that they asked was if I fixed my car.
when you start the car all the warning lights suppost to illuminate for few seconds and they go away, all my lights do that except CEL, and thats a must in WA.
I need to prove it to the dealer that they full of BS, ppl on other forums say that its a nationwide recall, and they suppost to replace it under the warranty. does anybody has a copy of a letter that says its a nationwide recall?
I responded to this on BenzWorld, but wanted to place it here too.

See posts 58 and 73 at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=82722&page=2; - the string gives the whole history of the recall beginning, then MB extending the warranty because far more cars were affected that contemplated in the recall. The two posts cited provide copies sent to owners (on record with MB) and also the insert for the warranty booklet provided with the letter.

A copy of the recall campaign bulletin is at http://www.theworkshopmb.com/TheWork...ter_Recall.pdf - but remember, the recall was by VIN. The extended warranty was not limited by VIN. It applies to all U.S. 2000-2006 S and CL classes. The only reason the recall "expired" (it didn't; owners with recall letters can still get their clusters replaced, and MB has been notifying some who didn't to come in for repair) is because it was succeeded by the extended warranty.

I do not know what the result would be if your car was originally exported to Canada, then sold to you in the U.S.; or if it were exported to the U.S. and a Canadian purchaser substituted a Canadian cluster (one whose dial primarily shows kmph vice mph) - however, if its original destination was the U.S., and the cluster reads out in primarily in mph, then the information about a "Canadian" cluster is garbage.

However, I would press it higher if the dealer doesn't cooperate. Refer the question to the regional rep if you can't resolve it with the dealer.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
my car is american, even dealer himself said its american car with a canadian cluster, I asked him how does he know this, he said that his computer read that "platform" on the cluster is canadian, and it does show in MPH not kmh

on your second link that you posted, shows part numbers of intrument clusters that can be replaced, and Im pretty sure my is one of those, so I think it doesnt matter if its canadian or american they still have to replace it.

Last edited by gixxerblack; 03-16-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 AM

2011 C 300 4-Matic
Unfortunately the recall is for the back lighting not working. Although if ur cluster falls under the recall by part number, you lucked out and you can get it replaced anyway. Most likely the LED is bad that lights up the check engine light. They are not normally replaceable but Im sure someone at an electronics shop could do it. As far as the Canadian thing goes, Ive never heard of that and when we replace clusters, we have to perform all the coding then. You have to program it for whatever country you are using it in anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBtech1
Unfortunately the recall is for the back lighting not working. Although if ur cluster falls under the recall by part number, you lucked out and you can get it replaced anyway. Most likely the LED is bad that lights up the check engine light. They are not normally replaceable but Im sure someone at an electronics shop could do it. As far as the Canadian thing goes, Ive never heard of that and when we replace clusters, we have to perform all the coding then. You have to program it for whatever country you are using it in anyway.
You are correct in your assessment for replacement under the recall; however, although the cause for the recall was for back lighting, clusters affected by the recall were to be replaced whether they had failed or not. So, a car recalled for cluster replacement should be able to have the cluster replaced, no matter what - whether it had failed, or not.

The extended warranty, by contrast, comes into play only for a malfunctioning cluster. However, the warranty did not place any limitations on the types of malfunctions covered. Any cluster malfunction (not caused by owner abuse, etc.) would be covered, not just lighting failure.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-17-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 AM

2011 C 300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Skylaw
You are correct in your assessment for replacement under the recall; however, although the cause for the recall was for back lighting, clusters affected by the recall were to be replaced whether they had failed or not. So, a car recalled for cluster replacement should be able to have the cluster replaced, no matter what - whether it had failed, or not.
Yes thats true thats why I wrote this part.

"Although if ur cluster falls under the recall by part number, you lucked out and you can get it replaced anyway."
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know that's why you wrote it, and it is correct.

But I also wanted folks to know that the replacement under warranty covers more than backlighting failure. The phrase "Unfortunately the recall is for the back lighting not working" introduces an ambiguity in that regard. Neither the recall nor the extended warranty limits replacement only to that failure.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-18-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
Got my car back and they refused to change my cluster, I called main MB location and they just told me to talk to general manager of local dealer. The reason why they dont want to change my cluster is because they said its canadian and not the right core, if they will send it in to replace and get new one, the MB will not exchange it and MR.LARSON will have to pay for it, thats what they said.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Got my car back and they refused to change my cluster, I called main MB location and they just told me to talk to general manager of local dealer. The reason why they dont want to change my cluster is because they said its canadian and not the right core, if they will send it in to replace and get new one, the MB will not exchange it and MR.LARSON will have to pay for it, thats what they said.
I pulled this from another forum -

If your Mercedes has or had a defective cluster and is not covered under this recall PLEASE file a complaint at www.NHTSA.gov.

PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT - You can also contact Ali at the NHTSA 202.366.7021 and speak directly to him. Ali performed the investigation and is aware of the details.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
Originally Posted by rccmerc
I pulled this from another forum -

If your Mercedes has or had a defective cluster and is not covered under this recall PLEASE file a complaint at www.NHTSA.gov.

PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT - You can also contact Ali at the NHTSA 202.366.7021 and speak directly to him. Ali performed the investigation and is aware of the details.
thanks but what investigation you're talking about? is it an ivestigation for the whole recall?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 AM

thanks but what investigation you're talking about? is it an ivestigation for the whole recall?
It's NHSTA that pushed MB on the Instrument Cluster Replacement Campaign. It probably would be worth a phone call to this guy to see what he has to say regarding your situation. - A US bought car with a Canadian Cluster? and MB denial of replacement, for goodness sakes a POS instrument cluster is a POS period!

Last edited by rccmerc; 03-19-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
thanks I'll try that
Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
If a previous owner put in a Canadian cluster (maybe because his cluster failed before the recall and subsequent warranty extension) you're pretty much screwed. Your only recall might be to go after the dealer who sold you the car, claiming that it was not emissions-certifiable as sold, which is probably against some state law.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
so Im pretty much screwed, but what if i'll buy another instrument cluster off the ebay and just go pass emissions test without reprogramming it, will it be fine? I mean with mileage showing wrong and will the car drive normally? and then resale it and put the old one back?

Last edited by gixxerblack; 03-26-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM

2004 S430 4matic
You don't have a Canadian Cluster

The way you can tell whether or not you have a Canadian cluster is that the BIG speedometer numbers will be in KPH while the little numbers will be in MPH. If your cluster is in MPH as you indicated then it is a US cluster regardless of what the MB computer says. Another way is the Check Engine light in a US cluster says Check Engine while the Check Engine light is a Symbol of an Engine on the Canadian Cluster. Now if you have the Symbol and are in MPH then something is very fishy. Your owners manual even references the Canadian cluster as having a Symbol and the US one having the words Check Engine. Just look in the index under Check Engine.

If you are in Seattle, and must go to the dealer, go to Phil Smart. MB Lynnwood and Barrier in Bellevue are not so helpful. I have only been happy with Phil. Although MB Lynnwood is slowly working its way back into my good graces.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes s500
yeah I've heard about Phil Smart but its little bit too far from my place, cant go there as often as to Larson, plus I dont want to spend anymore money on diagnoses, just need to pass the damn emissions test