S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Lost all electronic functions on driver's door! HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Exclamation Lost all electronic functions on driver's door! HELP

I learned a lesson with buying my w220 which is to only hold onto a car while it's still under warrantee. My latest problem is that I am not able to use any of the controls on my driver's door. Can't open windows, adjust mirrors, move seat, etc. The passenger side works fine. The rear windows also won't open from the back. I'm assuming it would make sense if there was a loose wire connection in my driver's door that is keeping me from using the features and that my rear windows feature was put on child safety at the time it was disconnected. Otherwise why else does no other window open besides the passenger side?? (not to mention the power seats too)

So my question is if I want to get into the driver's door to look at the wiring does anyone have any info on how I could do this myself or is it something that I'd absolutely have to leave with the stealership?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by ArMaNi S500

I learned a lesson with buying my w220 which is to only hold onto a car while it's still under warrantee...........

Thanks.
That could be true with anything... Geez.. it been 8 years. you think it time for something to break already??..

IT sounds like a bad DCM. ( Door Control Module).. pretty easy to swap, I think they are around 450 though... but it controls everything.. Check all of your fuses first....
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
wats that look like and do u have a part number, my soft closed stoped working on just my drivers side and the trunk keeps popping idk wat to u
Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 02S430
wats that look like and do u have a part number, my soft closed stoped working on just my drivers side and the trunk keeps popping idk wat to u
Here is some Info. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W220_DCM.pdf (38.4 KB, 696 views)
File Type: pdf
W220_Door_panel.pdf (527.4 KB, 1271 views)
Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's not the DCM.. that is usually th PSE pump. but try to pull the fuse first and see if it resets..It could also be your door latch leaking...The PSE will shut ff automatically the section that it detects a leak from.. so pulling the door fuse will reset it. If it stops working again, then you have a bad door latch.

Your trunk is a different issue also..the Unlocking is triggered by a vacuum cylinder that is controlled by a solenoid.. IF it is popping open, I'd say the somehing mechanical is wrong. I took both my latch, and the Handle assy out yesterday troubleshooting an Issue I am having. It looks like I need a new latch assy. they are $250 bucks!!

IF your trunk soft close works, then you ma only have to adjust the position of the latch using the two Hex screws that you will see once you remove the plastic black cover on your trunk.if it is positioned ner the top of the holes, then that is why it keeps popping open. It should be positioned close to the bottom of the holes so it catches the stationary part securely.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
you are gonna have maintanance issues

we should all thank the clients that step up and "pay" huge $ to drive/depreciate these $100k automobiles for us to take advantage of and enjoy.Watch out! if you try to keep MB's in warranty you better have a whole bunch of cash that you consider throwing away as simply a part of doing business.hang in ther and fix the issue.get the "STAR SERVICE LIBRARY" it is a dvd that will assist in keeping an MB outside the warranty a reality.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by my06clk
That's not the DCM.. that is usually th PSE pump. but try to pull the fuse first and see if it resets..It could also be your door latch leaking...The PSE will shut ff automatically the section that it detects a leak from.. so pulling the door fuse will reset it. If it stops working again, then you have a bad door latch.

Your trunk is a different issue also..the Unlocking is triggered by a vacuum cylinder that is controlled by a solenoid.. IF it is popping open, I'd say the somehing mechanical is wrong. I took both my latch, and the Handle assy out yesterday troubleshooting an Issue I am having. It looks like I need a new latch assy. they are $250 bucks!!

IF your trunk soft close works, then you ma only have to adjust the position of the latch using the two Hex screws that you will see once you remove the plastic black cover on your trunk.if it is positioned ner the top of the holes, then that is why it keeps popping open. It should be positioned close to the bottom of the holes so it catches the stationary part securely.

thanks for the info, yes the trunks soft close still works but the trunk only started popping once the dealership opened the drivers side door panel to see what was wrong with the soft close there, fishy wonder if they rigged it since i decide to just slam the door instead of paying the $950 for latch or something to be done

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by rccmerc
Here is some Info. Hope this helps.
thanks for the pics ive taken that apart b4 just didnt know wat i was looking for
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the info, yes the trunks soft close still works but the trunk only started popping once the dealership opened the drivers side door panel to see what was wrong with the soft close there, fishy wonder if they rigged it since i decide to just slam the door instead of paying the $950 for latch or something to be done
That is fishy because once the trunk locks.. it will only open through electrical or manual intervention.. could the switch in your door be faulty? you could override unlocking by inserting the key and turning t the opposite way just to test it.. Bu ths is a seperte issue than the one you reported.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
That is fishy because once the trunk locks.. it will only open through electrical or manual intervention.. could the switch in your door be faulty? you could override unlocking by inserting the key and turning t the opposite way just to test it.. Bu ths is a seperte issue than the one you reported.
its weird cause when the trunks about to pop the soft closes pulls the already closed door in tighter and releases and does it few times then the trunk pops happens at stop lights or when the car is runing in park
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
rccmerc, that was a great help thanks so much. only I was able to take the wood trim off and remove the 3 t20 screws and disconnect the door panel but i'm not able to take take off the handle cover to remove the screw behind the door handle. not exactly sure what to do from here??
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
That could be true with anything... Geez.. it been 8 years. you think it time for something to break already??..

IT sounds like a bad DCM. ( Door Control Module).. pretty easy to swap, I think they are around 450 though... but it controls everything.. Check all of your fuses first....
Yea you're right but this isn't my only problem. I think since it was 4 years old I remember going through different sensors and this n that. but anyway thanks for the advice. i tried the fuses and that did nothing for me. i began to open up the door panel to check for loose wires on the dcm but haven't completely been able to remove it fully. do you know where i could get the part for 450 and is that new? thanks a lot
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
I'am having the same problem

I did the fuse thing that work for about 5 days now i'am back to square one did u ever figure out what was causing your problem.