S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s500 05 navigation problemHey guys,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
Originally Posted by whoover
No, I'd let the dealer do it. By I admit, they don't sound very competent.
They made appoitment for me for next Tue, we will see what they will do
Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by sasha_khj
They made appoitment for me for next Tue, we will see what they will do
Sasha,

I believe the flash is already on the DVD.

YOU have to hit the Service button, then software, it will ask you to insert disk and insert the DVD into your system and let it load the flash first.. then try it.

I just checked mine, it is version 2006.1

I can't see changing at this point, there can;t be much difference between 2006.1 and 2006.2 map wise.... There are too many changes around where I live.. My Ex just bought a 2008 Pathfinder and her map still doesn't have detail of my old neighborhood and its 5 years old.

2006.1 is much better than my original DVD so I'll leave this one. I can get a copy of the newer version to make a test but only if there is a real benefit from flashing..

Can anyone shed any light on what you actually get from flashing except the ability to read the next disk?

I think I had that done already I'm not sure.
did you have a version older than 2006.1 to begin with?

Last edited by my06clk; 06-12-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 PM

s500
Originally Posted by my06clk
Sasha,

YOU have to hit the Service button, then software, it will ask you to insert disk and insert the DVD into your system and let it load the flash first.. then try it.

I can't see changing at this point, there can;t be much difference between 2006.1 and 2006.2 map wise.... There are too many changes around where I live.. My Ex just bought a 2008 Pathfinder and her map still doesn't have detail of my old neighborhood and its 5 years old.

2006.1 is much better than my original DVD so I'll leave this one. I can get a copy of the newer version to make a test but only if there is a real benefit from flashing..

Can anyone shed any light on what you actually get from flashing except the ability to read the next disk?

I just went to check it and when I hit service it doens't give me option software....
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Sasha,

This is incorrect information. The NAV processor firmware has to be updated in order to read any map DVD from 2006.2 on. The update is not on a map DVD. It's on a separate service DVD that only the dealer has. The dealer replaces the map DVD with the service DVD and does the update. Then they replace the map DVD.

2006.1 and 2006.2 map DVDs are very similar. It's just that 2006.2 works with the updated firmware only while 2006.1 works with the old firmware only.

The 2007 map DVD had a problem with car pool lanes and should not be used. The 2008 map DVD has many more points of interest and I find it very worthwhile. If you don't get the flash, you are stuck at 2006.1 for ever. It's your choice of course, but it seems every restaurant in my area is now on the 2008 DVD.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 PM

s500
This is incorrect information. The NAV processor firmware has to be updated in order to read any map DVD from 2006.2 on. The update is not on a map DVD. It's on a separate service DVD that only the dealer has. The dealer replaces the map DVD with the service DVD and does the update. Then they replace the map DVD.

2006.1 and 2006.2 map DVDs are very similar. It's just that 2006.2 works with the updated firmware only while 2006.1 works with the old firmware only.

The 2007 map DVD had a problem with car pool lanes and should not be used. The 2008 map DVD has many more points of interest and I find it very worthwhile. If you don't get the flash, you are stuck at 2006.1 for ever. It's your choice of course, but it seems every restaurant in my area is now on the 2008 DVD.

THank u for all your information, I will still try to bug my dealer to do it... do u know how much the 2008 DVD cost?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
THank u for all your information, I will still try to bug my dealer to do it... do u know how much the 2008 DVD cost?
It's $199 at the dealer or online from navteq. I suggest getting it from a dealer since support will be better.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool My bad.. I thought it was on the DVD.. I will see if I can get a hold of a 2008 DVD. later in today..I will flash my car if necessary.. POI's is my only gripe about the disk that I am using now.. I also noticed it doesn't give a business listing.. does the 2008 dvd have that? It's no biggie if it doesn't s long as the POI's are better I'ts worht its weight in gold to me.

BTW.

Is there anyway to tell if my unit has the proper softwar update? Do you have the number of the flash?

Inside my hidden menus., My NAVI software version is 1/Q2.39

the H.U software is DC-01-05-015.006.0028

is this the current flash?

Thanks..

Last edited by my06clk; 06-12-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Cool My bad.. I thought it was on the DVD.. I will see if I can get a hold of a 2008 DVD. later in today..I will flash my car if necessary.. POI's is my only gripe about the disk that I am using now.. I also noticed it doesn't give a business listing.. does the 2008 dvd have that? It's no biggie if it doesn't s long as the POI's are better I'ts worht its weight in gold to me.

BTW.

Is there anyway to tell if my unit has the proper softwar update? Do you have the number of the flash?

Inside my hidden menus., My NAVI software version is 1/Q2.39

the H.U software is DC-01-05-015.006.0028

is this the current flash?

Thanks..
Mine doesn't seem to have the COMAND engineering menu anymore, so I can't verify the level, but if you're using a 2006.1 DVD you haven't had the update. When you do, 2006.1 no longer works. In fact, they give you a 2006.2 as part of the free flash service.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine doesn't seem to have the COMAND engineering menu anymore, so I can't verify the level, but if you're using a 2006.1 DVD you haven't had the update. When you do, 2006.1 no longer works. In fact, they give you a 2006.2 as part of the free flash service.
AHH Okay.. then I must need it. I will get it tomorrow along with the new dvd
tomorrow..I'm anxious to see the POI changes.. Too bad the voice can't be changed.. My girlfriend refers to her as 'My chick".. LOL

BTW. mute +1 +3 + 7 + left arrow works all the time unless the firmware

deleted it.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
'06 S uses a different unit. The good news is that it will read DVDs (soundtrack only for movies, but lots of .mp3 files). Bad news is they deleted the engineering menu.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 S uses a different unit. The good news is that it will read DVDs (soundtrack only for movies, but lots of .mp3 files). Bad news is they deleted the engineering menu.
Wait..

All this time I thought 04, 05 , and 06 were the same.. I read DVD's also. why would they have a different unit for 06 when they all changed on 07??

Engineering menu tel you nothing anyway.. just a bunch of info. The only thing I can change is the intersection zoom feature for the nav which makes no sense to me at all....otherwise just a bunch of Software and config. information.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 AM

s500
Hey guys I have another question, may be u can point me to the right direction, how can I install bluetooth in a car, that I can you cell phone???
Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Wait..

All this time I thought 04, 05 , and 06 were the same.. I read DVD's also. why would they have a different unit for 06 when they all changed on 07??

Engineering menu tel you nothing anyway.. just a bunch of info. The only thing I can change is the intersection zoom feature for the nav which makes no sense to me at all....otherwise just a bunch of Software and config. information.
I guess you're right. In any case, I tried the code again and it worked this time.

My nav SW level is 1 / Q2.53
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Hey guys I have another question, may be u can point me to the right direction, how can I install bluetooth in a car, that I can you cell phone???
See the sticky at the very top of the Audio and Electronics forum, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...77#post2788377.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-13-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Bluetooth

To give you a summary, which will help you sort through Skylaw's excellent link:

If your car never had a phone installed before, you need to do two things:

1) Have the dealer install the phone kit. This is sometimes called "prewiring" or "MHI" (multi-handset inteface). It actually adds some electronics, voice-control and wiring, as well as a phone cradle. It usually costs about $1,500.

2) After you have the cradle, you buy a "bluetooth puck" from the dealer or online at http://www.wireless4mb.com/ . It's about $400.

If you're lucky and your car already has been prewired, you will have a cradle in your center console. But chances are you don't.

For this expense you get a very nice installation, well integrated with the COMAND and dash display. It pauses your audio when you're on the phone and the voice control is great. It even recognizes cities pretty well when setting a nav destination. But almost $2,000 is a lot for a phone integration. There are also third-party solutions, but none are as nicely integrated.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM

s500
To give you a summary, which will help you sort through Skylaw's excellent link:

1) Have the dealer install the phone kit. This is sometimes called "prewiring" or "MHI" (multi-handset inteface). It actually adds some electronics, voice-control and wiring, as well as a phone cradle. It usually costs about $1,500.

2) After you have the cradle, you buy a "bluetooth puck" from the dealer or online at http://www.wireless4mb.com/ . It's about $400.

If you're lucky and your car already has been prewired, you will have a cradle in your center console. But chances are you don't.

For this expense you get a very nice installation, well integrated with the COMAND and dash display. It pauses your audio when you're on the phone and the voice control is great. It even recognizes cities pretty well when setting a nav destination. But almost $2,000 is a lot for a phone integration. There are also third-party solutions, but none are as nicely integrated.
Correctme if I'm wrong, I was thinking that 05 model is already pre wired...??? if it is not true than I think to put 2K into car just to have the phone I dont think it is really wise desition, but differnet people have different opinion....
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM

s500

Correctme if I'm wrong, I was thinking that 05 model is already pre wired...??? if it is not true than I think to put 2K into car just to have the phone I dont think it is really wise desition, but differnet people have different opinion....
Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
If you lift the small flap in your center console you will either see a solid black felt floor, or a cradle. If you don't see the cradle, your car is not prewired. Most weren't.

I love the integration, but partly because I use an older phone that clips into the cradle. Not only does this save me the $400, but the integration charges the phone and uses the car's antenna and amplifier for better reception. I no-answer-forward that phone to my modern phone. But the Bluetooth integration works pretty well too. As I said, the voice activation (another clue if you already are wired -- no voice activation for your COMAND indicates no phone wiring) is pretty neat too. You can control all COMAND functions and is part of the phone installation.

Yes, it's expensive but it works so well that you don't feel totally ripped off. It's clearly a decision only you can make.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you lift the small flap in your center console you will either see a solid black felt floor, or a cradle. If you don't see the cradle, your car is not prewired. Most weren't.
Almost, but not quite. The meaning of prewired is discussed in the first post in the How-To Guide. All U.S. 2000-2005 specification W220s (and I believe also the '06) were prewired as standard equipment, meaning the wire harnesses from the trunk to COMAND and in the console were present. However, prewiring does not mean that the electronics necessary for a handsfree installation were present. The MHI control unit, MHI contact plate (in the flip-up phone compartment of the console), the antenna switch and the linear compensator - as well as any brackets, etc - would not be installed unless the handsfree option had been ordered. This equipment is the expensive part of the installation.

What an owner can determine by looking at the small flap in the center console (the phone flip-up compartment) is whether the handsfree installation is present. If the floor is solid black, or has a "D" shaped flat cover, then the car is simply "prewired" and there is no handsfree option installed. If there is a raised "D" shaped connector, that is the contact plate to which the cradle, combo unit, or puck is mated, and it means the handsfree option is installed. Photos of the flip-up are in the phone bulletins, with and without the contact plate.

In addition to the "handsfree" installation, the owner must choose either a cradle for a plug-in phone, a Bluetooth/cradle combo unit for certain phones, or a straight Bluetooth puck; and then should use a compatible phone.

The information in the guide contains links so that each of these items can be researched and followed up.

I also prefer to stay with the original MB equipment, though some contributors are happy with 3rd party solutions.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-13-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I think we're in agreement, except perhaps that I'm using "prewired" as many people (and dealers) do, to mean the installation of the the MHI and electronics. as oppposed to the more accurate (but less interesting) inclusion of the basic wiring yoke. The $1,500 installation is required for most cars.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think we're in agreement, except perhaps that I'm using "prewired" as many people (and dealers) do, to mean the installation of the the MHI and electronics. as oppposed to the more accurate (but less interesting) inclusion of the basic wiring yoke. The $1,500 installation is required for most cars.
Yes, the dealers indeed use "prewired" incorrectly, and repeatedly sell people cars (used and new) that the buyer expects will be easily equipped with a cellphone - only to find that there is a very large additional expense. That's why the distinction is important - and should be interesting.

Imagine the buyer of an '07 or '08 who has paid for the "prewired" option - because it is an option in most cases now - expecting to be able to easily connect the phone - only to find he also needed the "handsfree" option. The forum is full of folks who are very confused and very angry over just that issue, and I don't blame them.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-14-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
By "uninteresting," I meant "not very useful." I agree that MB could increase customer satisfaction by being more candid about what you need for phone support, both before and after ordering. My understanding is that the $1,500 MHI "prewiring" surprise expense is no longer an issue with the W221 because voice control, electronics and MHI cradle are standard. Yes, you still need the puck for Bluetooth (now called a handsfree option), but it's a lot better situation than before. Is this not the case?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By "uninteresting," I meant "not very useful." I agree that MB could increase customer satisfaction by being more candid about what you need for phone support, both before and after ordering. My understanding is that the $1,500 MHI "prewiring" surprise expense is no longer an issue with the W221 because voice control, electronics and MHI cradle are standard. Yes, you still need the puck for Bluetooth (now called a handsfree option), but it's a lot better situation than before. Is this not the case?
Can't say for the W221. Sasha was asking about the W220 (S500 in his case). What I said is accurate for the W220 and most other pre-2007 models.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Yes, the dealers indeed use "prewired" incorrectly, and repeatedly sell people cars (used and new) that the buyer expects will be easily equipped with a cellphone - only to find that there is a very large additional expense. That's why the distinction is important - and should be interesting.

Imagine the buyer of an '07 or '08 who has paid for the "prewired" option - because it is an option in most cases now - expecting to be able to easily connect the phone - only to find he also needed the "handsfree" option. The forum is full of folks who are very confused and very angry over just that issue, and I don't blame them.
I agree 100% this is the same thing that happened to me when I ordered my CLK350 CAB. I thought I was getting a car that was ready for a phone till I went to pick it up ad foung out I was still $2500 away.. This was strike 1 for me with that car.