SOLD S600 - Good Riddance!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600L-2000-w220
Angry SOLD S600 - Good Riddance!

SOLD S600 – Good Riddance!

I have owned my W220 S600L for 5 years with a total mileage of 47,000 miles with FMBSH. This was supposed to be my dream car. I worked hard to earn this vehicle. All of my neighbours were so jealous back in 2003. Little did they and I know that this S Class was a piece of crap!

In each of the five years I have owned it, it had some sort of mechanical/electrical problem. Don’t get me wrong it was no lemon, but what I have learned at the end of my ownership is that it was a crap design, unlike Lexus where all parts are integrated and work together in function and form.

The V12 engine 137.178…first of all oozed engine oil into the engine wiring loom. The Mercedes Stealer dealer did not carry out the recall correctly, in which they did not replace all oil fouled components such as the wiring loom, spark plugs and affected left bank ignition coil. As a result I ended up paying £3000 from my own pocket without any recompense from Mercedes HQ in Milton Keynes, UK who refused my story and would only consider the lies portrayed by the dealer!

The front discs became warped. The front upper control arms became faulty. ABS warning light came on which required a faulty speed sensor to be replaced costing £300 for the work. The ABC suspension became faulty and the front block valve had to be replaced at a cost to me of £1000. Rust from the inside of the panels started to appear on all four wheel arches. Rust on a Merc at 7 years old! And recently the right side of the engine started leaking oil with a repair estimate of £10,000.

Mercedes - What a piece of CRAP. Never again will I buy another Mercedes. The dealer service is so poor. They treat you as idiots, knowing too well that the customer has to pay up to fix the manufacturer’s design faults.

I will perhaps live with not being noticed anymore by the public, because I will no longer drive a Merc. My next car I will buy will be a LEXUS. Being a current owner of a Lexus for over 10 years, I know how reliable, fast, smooth and luxurious they are.

I will never look back at another Mercedes. Lexus will gain another customer for life!

Last edited by s600owner; 06-11-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by s600owner

I have owned my W220 S600L for 5 years with a total mileage of 47,000 miles with FMSH. This was supposed to be my dream car. I worked hard to earn this vehicle. All of my neighbours were so jealous back in 2003. Little did they and I know that this S Class was a piece of crap!

In each of the five years I have owned it, it had some sort of mechanical/electrical problem. Don’t get me wrong it was no lemon, but what I have learned at the end of my ownership is that it was a crap design, unlike Lexus where all parts are integrated and work together in function and form.

The V12 engine 137.178…first of all oozed engine oil into the engine wiring loom. The Mercedes Stealer dealer did not carry out the recall correctly, in which they did not replace all oil fouled components such as the wiring loom, spark plugs and affected left bank ignition coil. As a result I ended up paying £3000 from my own pocket without any recompense from Mercedes HQ in Milton Keynes, UK who refused my story and would only consider the lies portrayed by the dealer!

The front discs became warped. The front upper control arms became faulty. The ABC suspension became faulty and the front block valve had to be replaced at a cost to me of £1000. Rust from the inside of the panels started to appear on all four wheel arches. Rust on a Merc at 7 years old! And recently the right side of the engine started leaking oil with a repair estimate of £10,000.

Mercedes - What a piece of CRAP. Never again will I buy another Mercedes. The dealer service is so poor. They treat you as idiots, knowing too well that the customer has to pay up to fix the manufacturer’s design faults.

I will perhaps live with not being noticed anymore by the public, because I will no longer drive a Merc. My next car I will buy will be a LEXUS. Being a current owner of a Lexus for over 10 years, I know how reliable, fast, smooth and luxurious they are.

I will never look back at another Mercedes. Lexus will gain another customer for life!
from what I hear it was tough year for working all the bugs out. But then again that goes for any new make/ first model year. Guess MB had an extreme issue with it.
That sucks to hear of your experience. You should write MB a letter if only just to express your frustration with your experience. I've learned lots of valuble info from these forums and it seems the most import was not buy a 2k car.
Good luck though!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
YIKES! welcome,see ya

thanks for the kick in the groin.hope you feel better.when the manufacturer tries to satisfy the desires of the "SUPER WEALTHY" with the S-600 luxury performance sedan their are bound to be some problems.i cant help but think that the dealer never tried to rip you off intentionally.this car only cost you less than 5K in maintanance costs above and beyond the purchase price.what is the big deal.you think a lambo,porche,ferrari,mazzer would cost you less?.buy that jap crap and dont look back,it is a knock off of the S class made affordable and reliable for the "realistic,it's only transportation" clients.dont buy any more exotic automobiles,you arent cut out for it.money should never be a concern with the S-600,step up or step aside.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Don't you love it when someone puts in a two week notice and feel that that is the perfect time to tell you in writing how bad your company sucks....LOL

You'd be a lot less frustrated if you had at least tried to use a good online support system before now...

These cars aren't the greatest I agree.. I just closed my hood and read this post. However..... All things being equal, You have to learn to play the game, and know what you may be up against when you come to the table... It looks like you came into the game with the wrong ideas, so you left bitter because in your mind you lost... All I can say to you is bye bye...

One day I will part with my W220, but it will be a happy parting to one of the best cars I have ever had overall.....

if you worked these forums to your advantage, ou would have known about the many many issues with that car and would have been able to make a good decision about it before now when nobody wants to hear it. You sound like a little crying sore looser whining after the fact. That;s not the way to get sympathy, that's a good way to stir the natives if thats what you are trying to do, but in vain... so vain...

Glad you go rid of your problem, have fun on the Lexus forum..
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by s600owner
Man, that was a touching eulogy, lol. I owned a 2000 S500 W220 for 5 years and it was the best car I ever owned. Only repair I did other then normal stuff was a proactive front strut seal kit and relay switch.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Ouch, sounds like a bad experience, but I am sure there are WAY more W220 owners that LOVE the car rather than hate it...

I would not touch an S600 without the twin-turbo engine, which came in 2003.

I know someone who owns a pre-facelift CL600 with the same engine as yours and he has 75,000+ miles on it and LOVES the car, no issues.

Unfortunately most people that own an S-Class do not post on forums. If everyone who had one was on here, then we would really see how rare the "Hate Mercedes because of my W220 experience" crowd is.

Good luck with your Toyota, I mean Lexus, my neighbor just traded his BMW 750 for Lexus LS430... he was playing around with the auto-park... cool...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:51 AM

2000 S430
lol funny thing you say that cause one of my good freinds just sold his 760li and bought the ls430 but he misses the interior refinement of a european car, he is planning on selling the ls and is looking at a cls or s550.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
thanks for the kick in the groin.hope you feel better.when the manufacturer tries to satisfy the desires of the "SUPER WEALTHY" with the S-600 luxury performance sedan their are bound to be some problems.i cant help but think that the dealer never tried to rip you off intentionally.this car only cost you less than 5K in maintanance costs above and beyond the purchase price.what is the big deal.you think a lambo,porche,ferrari,mazzer would cost you less?.buy that jap crap and dont look back,it is a knock off of the S class made affordable and reliable for the "realistic,it's only transportation" clients.dont buy any more exotic automobiles,you arent cut out for it.money should never be a concern with the S-600,step up or step aside.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Just make sure you test drive a handful of 50,000+ miles LS430. You are likely to find out that, unlike a five year old LS400, a five year old LS430 is likely to feel very worn out.

Unfortunately, Lexus appears to go in the same direction Mercedes was going a decade ago - exploitation of the brand's goodwill by decontenting.

There is no other hope for us but Hyundai starting to build decent premium sedans. Sometimes I think it is the only company with seriously improving quality year-to-year. They still care ...
Old 06-18-2008, 01:52 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
hyundai???????????????????????????????????????

Originally Posted by RainbowRain
Just make sure you test drive a handful of 50,000+ miles LS430. You are likely to find out that, unlike a five year old LS400, a five year old LS430 is likely to feel very worn out.

Unfortunately, Lexus appears to go in the same direction Mercedes was going a decade ago - exploitation of the brand's goodwill by decontenting.

There is no other hope for us but Hyundai starting to build decent premium sedans. Sometimes I think it is the only company with seriously improving quality year-to-year. They still care ...
i just dont think you will ever see the clients that can afford to buy exotic luxury automobiles having the valet at the palms tower parking their HYUNDAI for them.just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 AM

S 500
This guy is a fuc$*%G idiot!! Don't come on a mercedes forum and post how much you hate merc's!!!!! You are a piece of ***** and you deserve to die in that new lexus that you will purchase, at least it will run for longer then you'll be alive!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by sclassdud
This guy is a fuc$*%G idiot!! Don't come on a mercedes forum and post how much you hate merc's!!!!! You are a piece of ***** and you deserve to die in that new lexus that you will purchase, at least it will run for longer then you'll be alive!!!
Woah Hitler, calm down
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
If your car had a warranty, then you wouldn't have to pay any repairs. Any high-performance car with advanced technology will have issues. The only lesson here is: don't buy Mercedes without warranty.

Originally Posted by sclassdud
Someone ban this idiot, he is giving Mercedes owners a bad name !
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Almost a Member!

01 S500, 02 Volvo C70, 96 Royalstar
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
If your car had a warranty, then you wouldn't have to pay any repairs. Any high-performance car with advanced technology will have issues. The only lesson here is: don't buy Mercedes without warranty.

You have to love the name though..... "SCLASSDUD".

Okay.....
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed

He's only speaking with the voice of authority and experience that comes from many years of running a Mercedes dealership.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=#post2848844
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

I honestly feel your pain. My CL is a beautiful car but I probaly would never purchase another Mercedes. I was looking at a 03 - 07 SL but everytime I think about the problems I have had with my CL I say no no. Good lucky on your next purchase no matter what car you purchase.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM

2002 Carrera, 2003 S430, 2007 GL450, 2004 E55 AMG
It's OK to vent. I'm sure s600owner tried everything he could with the multiple issues he had. And this was his final straw. I think I would be frustrated had that many problems with a 130K+ car.
Hope you enjoy your next car. We are all car people here and life is too short to be angry. And know that your Mercedes problems is not the norm, but you were just unlucky in this one.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
Originally Posted by occarfan
It's OK to vent. I'm sure s600owner tried everything he could with the multiple issues he had. And this was his final straw. I think I would be frustrated had that many problems with a 130K+ car.
Hope you enjoy your next car. We are all car people here and life is too short to be angry. And know that your Mercedes problems is not the norm, but you were just unlucky in this one.
If you had and S600 with the twin-turbo V-12 that would be all you would think about...everything else is secondary. Lexus cars are nice but nothing is smoother than a V-12 and nothing can match the torque of the turbo V-12.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM

2000 S430
I know where you're coming from. I've driven my first Mercedes ...a 2000 S430 for about 6 months and reliability is not good. Have had the following issues arise since purchasing:

Engine fan failed and replaced
Crank position sensor failed leaving me stranded
Threw codes for random misfires - replaced plugs and wires
Evap Emissions problem (P0442)- still troubleshooting
Engine mounts bad
Driver door speaker suddenly inoperative
Secondary air pump and relay failed and replaced

But despite all this, I can say pretty confidently that I will always drive a Mercedes. The car is awesome! Where else do you get the same handling, quiet ride, amazing steering and brakes, power, the myriad of technical gizmotry, and the level of respect from others?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Sorry to hear about your problems, but really, the 2000-2002 was known for its problems, and I think in 03 Mercedes figured this out, and these are so much more reliable. And also, the engine is a nice bonus as well. Really, I think if you gave the S another chance, you might like it. Try to pick up an 04 S600, and you might change your mind. I'm not going to say that Lexus is crap like everybody else, that is simply not true. Both Acura and Lexus are probably the most reliable cars you can buy. But the biturbo 600 is more than a car, it is practically a legend around here. Nothing comes close.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 AM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by zz4x4
Where else do you get the same handling, quiet ride, amazing steering and brakes, power, the myriad of technical gizmotry, and the level of respect from others?
Hmmm...no, I'll keep my mouth shut..