Driver's Seat - Too Far Back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Driver's Seat - Too Far Back?

I have an odd issue, and the dealer said he'd get back to me on it but as of right now he believes it's operating normal...

Anyways, my driver's seat does not move up all the way close to the steering wheel as it did in my S500... I don't have trouble driving or reaching the pedals, but I would feel a little more comfortable with it closer.

I read a great post by Skylaw about resetting all the motors by holding them down at maximum limits for several seconds that and that actually fixed the vertical adjustment on my S500, but I did nothing for me on the S600 and the seat still travels the same distance.

I can however, move the passenger seat as close to the dashboard as I was able on my S500...

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Any one?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Location: Alabama gulf coast, formerly Charlottesville, Virginia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 W220 (S430), 2001 R129 (SL500 Sport)
Mine does the same thing. I have to move it manually the last couple of inches. Someoone at the dealership said the auto set wouldn't move the seat as close as I wanted it, so someone with longer legs or a bigger gut wouldn't get squashed by the wheel. I figure if someone got squashed they got what they deserved, because they were trying to steal my car.

Can anybody confirm the dealer's story?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
Mine does the same thing. I have to move it manually the last couple of inches. Someoone at the dealership said the auto set wouldn't move the seat as close as I wanted it, so someone with longer legs or a bigger gut wouldn't get squashed by the wheel. I figure if someone got squashed they got what they deserved, because they were trying to steal my car.

Can anybody confirm the dealer's story?
Makes sense. I'm 5'10" so this hasn't come up, but I like my wheel all the way down and have noticed that memory won't bring it down the last inch. I need to do that manually or live with it a tad higher than I like. The auto-nanny theory makes as much sense as any.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
are you sure ?

are you sure it isnt the "G" force pushing you back into the seat like the apollo rockets?.is it harder to reach the pedals at 5k rpm than say 2k?.someday ill have one of those biturbo cars and it will fit me perfect cause im 6'2.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Gotta slightly OT question........I drove a s500 and I moved the seat back, and it went so far back that my feet could barely touch the pedals. (I'm 6'3") So I was highly impressed. But when I got my s430 that wasn't the case. Is the seat positioning different from the 500 and 430?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Guys-- I'm still not sure what's up with the seat... my passenger seat moves closer to the dashboard by about 5" or 6" than the driver's seat..

Anything I should check? What would prevent it from going up past a certain point?

I tried everything even SDS and it's hitting the upper limit way before it's actually reached.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Guys-- I'm still not sure what's up with the seat... my passenger seat moves closer to the dashboard by about 5" or 6" than the driver's seat..

Anything I should check? What would prevent it from going up past a certain point?

I tried everything even SDS and it's hitting the upper limit way before it's actually reached.
This may be a long shot, but are there any stoppers on the seat track that can manually be moved fore and aft?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
This may be a long shot, but are there any stoppers on the seat track that can manually be moved fore and aft?
There are no stoppers on the track, the way the DCM knows when to stop the seat from going too far front or back is by using Hall Sensors which count how many revolutions the motor produces. Once it reaches it's maximum (32550 revs) it know its all the way up, when it counts down to 0 it know it's all the way back.

I believe the motor is out of sync, and the limit of 32550 is hit before it's actually in the correct position, so my seat moves not far enough forwards but over extends when moving all the way back.

I tried the methods for syncing up the seat controls by holding the switch but the Hall Sensor output is the same.

I am going to tear apart the bottom of the seat and see if I can correct the position of the motor...

I have no idea how it could have lost it's sync intially though...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by trudawg
Gotta slightly OT question........I drove a s500 and I moved the seat back, and it went so far back that my feet could barely touch the pedals. (I'm 6'3") So I was highly impressed. But when I got my s430 that wasn't the case. Is the seat positioning different from the 500 and 430?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by trudawg
Should not be any different...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
There are no stoppers on the track, the way the DCM knows when to stop the seat from going too far front or back is by using Hall Sensors which count how many revolutions the motor produces. Once it reaches it's maximum (32550 revs) it know its all the way up, when it counts down to 0 it know it's all the way back.

I believe the motor is out of sync, and the limit of 32550 is hit before it's actually in the correct position, so my seat moves not far enough forwards but over extends when moving all the way back.

I tried the methods for syncing up the seat controls by holding the switch but the Hall Sensor output is the same.

I am going to tear apart the bottom of the seat and see if I can correct the position of the motor...

I have no idea how it could have lost it's sync intially though...
That's interesting. Even the seat adjustment can't be simple on a Mercedes. What would the ramifications be if you were to disconnect the seat motor/DCM and reconnect it to clear it's calibration memory? Anything in WIS for the recalibration, say if you were to replace these items?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
That's interesting. Even the seat adjustment can't be simple on a Mercedes. What would the ramifications be if you were to disconnect the seat motor/DCM and reconnect it to clear it's calibration memory? Anything in WIS for the recalibration, say if you were to replace these items?
WIS says to recalibrate/reinitialize by using SDS.. which I did, it moves the seat all the way forward, all the way back, and says everything is cool.

Maybe I'm crazy though?

Can someone please take a picture from outside the car with the door open with the drivers seat as close to the steering wheel as possible? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Can someone please take a picture from outside the car with the door open with the drivers seat as close to the steering wheel as possible? Thanks!
Nice! Thanks guys... 6 months and NONE OF YOU HELPED ME WITH A SIMPLE PICTURE I ASKED FOR!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Anyways I found out what was wrong...

Looks like someone at the factory switched two bolts around that hold the seat to the rail.

The bolt was hitting the end of the rail where the yellow arrow is.

Here is how it was:

And here is how they are supposed to be:

Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Nice! Thanks guys... 6 months and NONE OF YOU HELPED ME WITH A SIMPLE PICTURE I ASKED FOR!
Oxygen, Im sorry I missed this request. You're a frequent and helpful contributor, and I'd have been glad to help if I had seen it. Anyway, thanks for the feedback on what you found - especially after our failure to help you.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-13-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
I'm with Skylaw.....

I did not see you post until know.

Gold you fixed you issue and shared your findings.

The dealer never looked at your issue?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I brought up the issue when I first test drove the car before buying it... I told the guy "this seat does not move up far enough, not very comfortable for me. My S500 moved the seat a lot closer to the steering wheel."

He told me that he did not think that anything was wrong, but told me if I do decide to buy the car, they will look into the issue at the shop prior to delivery.

Upon delivery he told me that they found absolutely no issues with the seat and that's how it was on the S600. I ate it because I really like the rest of the car.

I also brought the car to 3 other dealerships afterwards - Mercedes of Huntington, Mercedes of Smithtown and Mercedes of Massapequa. All 3 dealerships said that there was no problem found and the seat was working as it should.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
In the process of locating the fault, I've tried doing that with no luck.

I also disconnected the electrical plug from the motor and connected 12VDC directly to the motor. It stopped in the same exact position so this lead me to believe it was a mechanical issue rather than electronics.

I took it one step further and disconnected the metal cable that connects the left and the right rails and attached an electrical drill to the end of the cable. This allowed me to manually move each rail back and forth. I saw that the left rail moved freely front to back but the right rail kept getting stuck.

So while slowly moving the rail with the drill I saw the bolt hitting the other bolt as it was moving, and it was all clear from there.

From what I can tell the seat was never disassembled and and there is no reason for those two bolts to be switched unless it was a mistake during manufacturing.

I highly doubt anyone else is going to run across this issue.

But I am really glad that it's fixed now.. my toes used to get tired from reaching for the pedals the whole time and I was forced to use cruise control on most highway driving to relax me feet a little. Now I feel like I'm discovering the car for the first time... it's so great!