New instrument cluster reports incorrect mileage & other issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 S500, 01 BMW M3 Convertible, 98 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
New instrument cluster reports incorrect mileage & other issues

I recently had the local Benz dealership replace for free the original instrument cluster in my 01 S500 after it went dark. The new cluster does not work exactly as the original. THe half circle of the speedo is darker that the other lights. The worst thing is that my mpg went from around 20 to about 12MPG instantly. Manual calculation shows that nothing has changed (really 20mpg). Has any one else seen these issues with the replacement cluster?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tilolite
I recently had the local Benz dealership replace for free the original instrument cluster in my 01 S500 after it went dark. The new cluster does not work exactly as the original. THe half circle of the speedo is darker that the other lights. The worst thing is that my mpg went from around 20 to about 12MPG instantly. Manual calculation shows that nothing has changed (really 20mpg). Has any one else seen these issues with the replacement cluster?
This is not uncommon, the IC has not been coded properly. Take if back and have them fix it. The Dealer will attempt to recode it or Replace the IC again and recode. It is shocking how pathetic/indifferent Dealer work can be.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Just called MB dealer to check cluster/reprogram IC. Appointment set for next week. I will provide update next week.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Exact same thing happened to me. I sent it back again and they got the mileage right, but the new cluster (2nd one) still has a dark speedometer circle. Maybe MB has a bad batch of these?

Whatever, I'll settle.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by newton22
Exact same thing happened to me. I sent it back again and they got the mileage right, but the new cluster (2nd one) still has a dark speedometer circle. Maybe MB has a bad batch of these?
The circle indicates (with light intensity) the current cruise control setting. Is that working? Maybe that feature needs version coding too.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by whoover
The circle indicates (with light intensity) the current cruise control setting. Is that working? Maybe that feature needs version coding too.
Yes, I know about the cruise control feature. It works fine. It's just that the speedometer ring is SLIGHTLY darker than the other gauge rings.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by newton22
Yes, I know about the cruise control feature. It works fine. It's just that the speedometer ring is SLIGHTLY darker than the other gauge rings.
this is the same thing that I have. Hopefully they will be able to fix it. What I am worried about more is the MPG. If it stays at 10MPG, I won't ever be able to resell this car unless I throw in a few Exxon shares.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
Originally Posted by tilolite
The worst thing is that my mpg went from around 20 to about 12MPG instantly. Manual calculation shows that nothing has changed (really 20mpg). Has any one else seen these issues with the replacement cluster?
The the dealer used the copy seetings feature and forgot to code the proper engine & tank size

Cheers, Frank
Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Mercedes S500 Sport
I just had my IC replaced before the weekend. I noticed 2 things. The first being the speedometer ring is slightly darker than my original IC. Can the dealer fix this or is this the way the new ICs are to reduce failure? The numbers are brighter than the speedo ring which is rather odd. Any one else experiencing the same after replacing the speedometer? I can't be only one experiencing this??

Second is that the Telephone and Navi intro screens are aligned to the far left and when the speedometer needle is at rest, it blocks the readout. Why on earth does this new IC not center the messages? All the other messages are centered except for the Telephone Ready and Navi Ready. The word "Ready" when blocked by the speedo needle at 0mph reads "Peady." Kind of annoying. Is this fixable??
Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
Originally Posted by Ansonnn
I just had my IC replaced before the weekend. I noticed 2 things. The first being the speedometer ring is slightly darker than my original IC. Can the dealer fix this or is this the way the new ICs are to reduce failure? The numbers are brighter than the speedo ring which is rather odd. Any one else experiencing the same after replacing the speedometer? I can't be only one experiencing this??
(RTFM)Have you tried to adjust the brightness with the knob ?
Second is that the Telephone and Navi intro screens are aligned to the far left and when the speedometer needle is at rest, it blocks the readout. Why on earth does this new IC not center the messages? All the other messages are centered except for the Telephone Ready and Navi Ready. The word "Ready" when blocked by the speedo needle at 0mph reads "Peady." Kind of annoying. Is this fixable??
This is certainly a matter of coding of the IC.

Cheers, Frank
Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM

Mercedes S500 Sport
Of course I have tried adjusting the brightness knob. The brightness knob does not work during the day as the brightness is controlled automatically by the light sensor. The knob works well at night to ONLY DIM the brightness and not brighten it. It is turned to max brightness and the speedometer ring is still is significantly dimmer than the other parts.

Hopefully the IC center display mis-alignment is in fact due to dealer programmability. I will ask the dealer sometime this week.