S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Drop by lowering links or Star Mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Call Jon or Ed at HMS in Orange County 714.379.7770 They also have great HID kits too.

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=100

Last edited by Vader55; 09-26-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by pwrofjoe
Are there any threads that have instructions on how to install and/or adjust the links?
Why does distance matter unless you wanted then to do the install..

If I were in the W/C this time of year like last year i could have hooked you up But I'm positive you can find someone near you who can do this job.

There are very good simple instructions included when you receive your links.

Its not a hard job at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by westcoast5
someof the guys around here use links _ elm and only turn on the ELm at the show or when they wanna park really low and when using it normaly its just on the links and elm turned off.

does anyone here run this setup? if so please be so kinda to share some pictures of you guys parked!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by Il Capo
does anyone here run this setup? if so please be so kinda to share some pictures of you guys parked!
do a search for member dtxmob.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM

2004 White S430
Unhappy

Originally Posted by my06clk
Newton,

While I respect your strong feelings about links, I can assure you that there are no real facts that support either method. The only thing to go by is users with experience, and you will be hard pressed to find some with real fact to support the claim that there car failed solely because they used links instead of some other method.

What I find interesting is the fact that ALL W220's come stock with a adjustable link in the rear and yo never hear any complaints about rear shocks.Hmmm.

Anyway..

Since MOST users of any lowering method own cars between the years of 'Normal" airmatic issues, even if there were some real statistics taken they would be skewed by that fact alone.

Also take into consideration the Logical side of the discussion and the physical side.

Physically there IS a window on ANY airshock that maximizes the shocks ablilty to withstand the weight it's supporting and at the same time maintain the integrity of the shock. I don;t think anyone here can give any exact data as to what that particular window is for these cars..
We do know that since the car is programed to lower itself 3/4 inches after 80mph, that the lower limit must be lower than 3/4 how much who knows?? But for quality and safety sake we must assume that the engineers who built this car didn't program it any where near a danger zone.

Then we look at the logical. This seems simple enough for me as a programmer because this is my area of expertise.. i think I explained this somewhere before but I can;t remember.
Anyhow, logically the basic program for the height of the car has to be based on these things.
1. Physical input from the two front height transducers ( analog )
2. Physical input from the rear height transducer(s) ( analog also )
3. a programmed set of references that are matched to the above inputs that send an output to the Airmatic system based on the difference between these signals.

I hope that makes sense.

So the difference is that with STAR or a MODULE, When the references (3) are changed the car will adjust until the physical inputs (1 and 2) are correct again to the 'new" references

With the links, the Physical input values(1 and 2) are changed by the same amount, and the car will adjust itself till the inputs are correct again to the "original" references.(3)

the rest of the program for squatting, etc.. never changes in whether method because they all correspond to the requests of main function which stays the same no matter what.

So whomever says its not the same, well, fundamentally they are incorrect.

Looking at it in reverse,

If I loaded my car with 500lbs of bricks and weighted it down, transducer settings would be off therefore my car will raise till it is level again. When I
remove the 500lbs of bricks, my values will be off again and the car will lower itself till its level again.

Whether i had links or star or whatever this routine will NOT change..

You can't fool a program, unless you alter some value or another and those alterations MUST lead you back to a certain referenced value..

These cars don't have any conscious idea they are lowered or not. Just like an Elevator has no idea which floor its on, or even cares whether its going up or down at any particular time. It simply relies on signals and inputs to match a pre set of parameters... Thats how everything in our world works..

Links=$ less than $200

Module= Fortune..

results= The same.

Let your conscious be your guide.

I write programs like this with my eyes closed that's how I eat.
Links are how I roll...
Hey guys... I spoke to a local shop and they said it would cost about $900 to use the STAR system to lower the car. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of expensive.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Hey guys... I spoke to a local shop and they said it would cost about $900 to use the STAR system to lower the car. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of expensive.
It shouldn't cost you more than $250. My dealer charged me next to nothing.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM

2004 White S430
I am dropping off my car tomorrow to have it lowered. It was recommended that the best and safest way to lower a vehicle is to use links and the STAR diagnostics system. The links are from Mercedes directly. He will have them installed, then use STAR diagnostics to reprogram the vehicle so the suspension works properly with the new height. They will also be adjusting the existing links in the rear. All of this will be done for $550.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
When i did my alingment i had them set my car at the lowest level this was included in the 150 charge. then i did the washer method, but i have not used my car in a few months, now that i am going to start using it again i will be doing the link. I have seen the instructions online and they are very simple can do in about 30 minutes easy.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM

2004 White S430
OK guys... this is what I did and I love it. I had them change the front links and adjust the front and back. Then the guy tuned the suspension using the STAR Diagnosticys system. This seemed like the only logical solution. How come no one else has done this?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM

W220
what are these links that you speak of from the dealership? similar to the adjustable airride lowering links? what parts & labor show up on your dealer invoice?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS500
How did you guys get them to do it at the dealership? I went my Mercedes of Ft Lauderdale and they told me that they would absolutely not lower my car using STAR. They said they arent allowed to do that. Please help me!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 AM

2004 White S430
Originally Posted by smcgurk
How did you guys get them to do it at the dealership? I went my Mercedes of Ft Lauderdale and they told me that they would absolutely not lower my car using STAR. They said they arent allowed to do that. Please help me!
The dealership won't do it. You have to take it to a performance shop that own their own star diag system. The adjustable links I used were by mercedes, for the front only. The rear are already adjustable. Then the star was used to calibrate the onboard computer. My total cost was $550.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
The dealership won't do it. You have to take it to a performance shop that own their own star diag system. The adjustable links I used were by mercedes, for the front only. The rear are already adjustable. Then the star was used to calibrate the onboard computer. My total cost was $550.
You got had on the calibration bit.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benz and Beemers
Originally Posted by my06clk
You got had on the calibration bit.
X2! I think you got took.

If you already have 2 adjustable links, than added 2 more for the front, what is star going to do?

To lower the S, I usually just replace the front links and adjust it to the height the customer wants.