S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Drop by lowering links or Star Mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 White S430
Question Drop by lowering links or Star Mod?

Hi everyone,

Can you please let me know what is the best way to drop my car. I have a 2004 S430 with AMG sport suspension. I have read a lot about the lowering links at http://www.adjustableairride.com/ and using Star diagnostics at VRP performance tuning (http://vrptuning.com/cart/index.php?...=index&cPath=5). Seems like the links allow for more flexibility and I can change the ride hight as I need. Yet, seems like people are saying the Star diagnostic modification is safer, but doesn't allow for the car to be dropped too low.

Any help is appreciated. Thaks everyone!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by pwrofjoe
Hi everyone,

Can you please let me know what is the best way to drop my car. I have a 2004 S430 with AMG sport suspension. I have read a lot about the lowering links at http://www.adjustableairride.com/ and using Star diagnostics at VRP performance tuning (http://vrptuning.com/cart/index.php?...=index&cPath=5). Seems like the links allow for more flexibility and I can change the ride hight as I need. Yet, seems like people are saying the Star diagnostic modification is safer, but doesn't allow for the car to be dropped too low.

Links... Anything else is a waste of money.( That'll start a fight for sure..). BTW.. that is Sport packaging iE body parts.. there is no such thing as AMG sport suspension in 2004.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Star lowering or Renntech ELM if you wanna go lower. Links is not a correct way to lower the Airmatic system.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM

2004 White S430
Originally Posted by my06clk
Links... Anything else is a waste of money.( That'll start a fight for sure..). BTW.. that is Sport packaging iE body parts.. there is no such thing as AMG sport suspension in 2004.
Thanks my06clk, and I noticed that when I purchased the car it had an AMG badge on it. Did someone just put that on or can someone actually purchase an S430 AMG?

I'm swaying away from the star method of lowering the car, only because there is no lowering height guarantee, and if i'm not totally slamming the car then the links shouldn't have a major negative impact, right?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Hi everyone,

links/thread.

John is a great person to do business with. You won't be disappointed with the links, i've had them for just over a year with 0 problems.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

2000 S430
I also have had no problems with links at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Thanks my06clk, and I noticed that when I purchased the car it had an AMG badge on it. Did someone just put that on or can someone actually purchase an S430 AMG?

I'm swaying away from the star method of lowering the car, only because there is no lowering height guarantee, and if i'm not totally slamming the car then the links shouldn't have a major negative impact, right?
Shouldn't. Just understand lowering the car with links IS NOT the same as lowering the car with Star or RT ELM. Links fool with the dampening values and such. The ride with a 2" drop via links as opposed to a 2" drop with RT ELM will be different. And in theory driving around with these incorrect values are putting the struts at risk for failure.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Originally Posted by newton22
Shouldn't. Just understand lowering the car with links IS NOT the same as lowering the car with Star or RT ELM. Links fool with the dampening values and such. The ride with a 2" drop via links as opposed to a 2" drop with RT ELM will be different. And in theory driving around with these incorrect values are putting the struts at risk for failure.
just driving the car stock puts the struts at risk for failure...links are just fine...i havent heard of even ONE problem with them....just give it a rest....
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by ssonss1
just driving the car stock puts the struts at risk for failure...links are just fine...i havent heard of even ONE problem with them....just give it a rest....
I'm just throwing the facts out there. Take it or leave it.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 PM

2004 White S430
Originally Posted by ssonss1
Thanks for your input ssonss1. If the car is lowered either way, wouldn't this cause problems for the struts either way.

Other question. I have an extended Mercedes warranty. If something went wrong with the Star method, wouldnt the dealership blame the "reprogramming"? If I use link and something goes bad, then I could change it back to the stock links and tell them there is a problem with the car?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 AM

2000 S430
someof the guys around here use links _ elm and only turn on the ELm at the show or when they wanna park really low and when using it normaly its just on the links and elm turned off.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Thanks for your input ssonss1. If the car is lowered either way, wouldn't this cause problems for the struts either way.

Other question. I have an extended Mercedes warranty. If something went wrong with the Star method, wouldnt the dealership blame the "reprogramming"? If I use link and something goes bad, then I could change it back to the stock links and tell them there is a problem with the car?
As I said before, lowering via links is NOT the same. Your struts will operate more reliably if the car acknowledges that it is lowered.

If it is the dealer doing to the Star lowering, they shouldn't blame you for it. If they didn't want to deal with the possibility of failing struts, they wouldn't lower for you in the first place.

I'm not biased. I was lowered on links for 2 years until my struts failed.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
I'm just throwing the facts out there. Take it or leave it.
please. 5 years on my S500 and no problems and links on my E55 too.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by Vader55
please. 5 years on my S500 and no problems and links on my E55 too.
Okay.

Guys, understand I am trying to help out. If you want to lower the car with links, no one is gonna stop you. I'm sharing knowledge which I have acquired from members who understand the Airmatic system better than I do.

Ignore my comments for all I care, just stop advertising falsified facts. The fact is, whether you deny it or not, that lowering the car with links isn't the same thing as lowering it via Star or RT ELM.

Also understand I'm not saying lowering the car with links will guarantee failure or anything. I'm sure some have and will have no issues with them.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM

2004 White S430
Okay.

Guys, understand I am trying to help out. If you want to lower the car with links, no one is gonna stop you. I'm sharing knowledge which I have acquired from members who understand the Airmatic system better than I do.

Ignore my comments for all I care, just stop advertising falsified facts. The fact is, whether you deny it or not, that lowering the car with links isn't the same thing as lowering it via Star or RT ELM.

Also understand I'm not saying lowering the car with links will guarantee failure or anything. I'm sure some have and will have no issues with them.
Newton22, I really appreciate your feedback. It's important that we have expertise from both angels to make good decisions about the cars we care about.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM

'00 S-500, E-430S, '88 Mustang
Okay.

So are you saying that something like the Rentech Lowering Modular is better, cuz I have an opportunity to acquire one for about 800$ used?[/I]
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay.

Newton,

While I respect your strong feelings about links, I can assure you that there are no real facts that support either method. The only thing to go by is users with experience, and you will be hard pressed to find some with real fact to support the claim that there car failed solely because they used links instead of some other method.

What I find interesting is the fact that ALL W220's come stock with a adjustable link in the rear and yo never hear any complaints about rear shocks.Hmmm.

Anyway..

Since MOST users of any lowering method own cars between the years of 'Normal" airmatic issues, even if there were some real statistics taken they would be skewed by that fact alone.

Also take into consideration the Logical side of the discussion and the physical side.

Physically there IS a window on ANY airshock that maximizes the shocks ablilty to withstand the weight it's supporting and at the same time maintain the integrity of the shock. I don;t think anyone here can give any exact data as to what that particular window is for these cars..
We do know that since the car is programed to lower itself 3/4 inches after 80mph, that the lower limit must be lower than 3/4 how much who knows?? But for quality and safety sake we must assume that the engineers who built this car didn't program it any where near a danger zone.

Then we look at the logical. This seems simple enough for me as a programmer because this is my area of expertise.. i think I explained this somewhere before but I can;t remember.
Anyhow, logically the basic program for the height of the car has to be based on these things.
1. Physical input from the two front height transducers ( analog )
2. Physical input from the rear height transducer(s) ( analog also )
3. a programmed set of references that are matched to the above inputs that send an output to the Airmatic system based on the difference between these signals.

I hope that makes sense.

So the difference is that with STAR or a MODULE, When the references (3) are changed the car will adjust until the physical inputs (1 and 2) are correct again to the 'new" references

With the links, the Physical input values(1 and 2) are changed by the same amount, and the car will adjust itself till the inputs are correct again to the "original" references.(3)

the rest of the program for squatting, etc.. never changes in whether method because they all correspond to the requests of main function which stays the same no matter what.

So whomever says its not the same, well, fundamentally they are incorrect.

Looking at it in reverse,

If I loaded my car with 500lbs of bricks and weighted it down, transducer settings would be off therefore my car will raise till it is level again. When I
remove the 500lbs of bricks, my values will be off again and the car will lower itself till its level again.

Whether i had links or star or whatever this routine will NOT change..

You can't fool a program, unless you alter some value or another and those alterations MUST lead you back to a certain referenced value..

These cars don't have any conscious idea they are lowered or not. Just like an Elevator has no idea which floor its on, or even cares whether its going up or down at any particular time. It simply relies on signals and inputs to match a pre set of parameters... Thats how everything in our world works..

Links=$ less than $200

Module= Fortune..

results= The same.

Let your conscious be your guide.

I write programs like this with my eyes closed that's how I eat.
Links are how I roll...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM

2004 White S430
Newton,

While I respect your strong feelings about links, I can assure you that there are no real facts that support either method. The only thing to go by is users with experience, and you will be hard pressed to find some with real fact to support the claim that there car failed solely because they used links instead of some other method.

What I find interesting is the fact that ALL W220's come stock with a adjustable link in the rear and yo never hear any complaints about rear shocks.Hmmm.

Anyway..

Since MOST users of any lowering method own cars between the years of 'Normal" airmatic issues, even if there were some real statistics taken they would be skewed by that fact alone.

Also take into consideration the Logical side of the discussion and the physical side.

Physically there IS a window on ANY airshock that maximizes the shocks ablilty to withstand the weight it's supporting and at the same time maintain the integrity of the shock. I don;t think anyone here can give any exact data as to what that particular window is for these cars..
We do know that since the car is programed to lower itself 3/4 inches after 80mph, that the lower limit must be lower than 3/4 how much who knows?? But for quality and safety sake we must assume that the engineers who built this car didn't program it any where near a danger zone.

Then we look at the logical. This seems simple enough for me as a programmer because this is my area of expertise.. i think I explained this somewhere before but I can;t remember.
Anyhow, logically the basic program for the height of the car has to be based on these things.
3. a programmed set of references that are matched to the above inputs that send an output to the Airmatic system based on the difference between these signals.

I hope that makes sense.

So the difference is that with STAR or a MODULE, When the references (3) are changed the car will adjust until the physical inputs (1 and 2) are correct again to the 'new" references

With the links, the Physical input values(1 and 2) are changed by the same amount, and the car will adjust itself till the inputs are correct again to the "original" references.(3)

the rest of the program for squatting, etc.. never changes in whether method because they all correspond to the requests of main function which stays the same no matter what.

If I loaded my car with 500lbs of bricks and weighted it down, transducer settings would be off therefore my car will raise till it is level again. When I
remove the 500lbs of bricks, my values will be off again and the car will lower itself till its level again.

You can't fool a program, unless you alter some value or another and those alterations MUST lead you back to a certain referenced value..

These cars don't have any conscious idea they are lowered or not. Just like an Elevator has no idea which floor its on, or even cares whether its going up or down at any particular time. It simply relies on signals and inputs to match a pre set of parameters... Thats how everything in our world works..

Links=$ less than $200

Module= Fortune..

results= The same.

Links are how I roll...
Where can I purchase links for under $200? adjustibleairride.com sells them for $299.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Newton,

Anyway..

I hope that makes sense.

Links=$ less than $200

Module= Fortune..

results= The same.

Links are how I roll...
----not knowing anything about the subject at hand....it makes sense
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM

I have a question....can u raise and lower the car if u have a module? are there diff height settings you can play with, or once you install, thats it ....thats the height you will ride at?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 PM

2000 S430
Sonic ms in Mountain View has a 200 airmatic special, links,installed.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where can I purchase links for under $200? adjustibleairride.com sells them for $299.
Contact john and get a price for just the fronts. U don't need the rear. Ur car comes stock with an adjustable link in the rear.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
i have the links from john had em for about 1 yr thank god no problems so far.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM

2004 White S430
Contact john and get a price for just the fronts. U don't need the rear. Ur car comes stock with an adjustable link in the rear.

I contacted him... but it's too bad he is 344 miles away from me. Do you guys know of anyone closer to the Los Angeles area?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM

2004 White S430
Originally Posted by S500 Man
i have the links from john had em for about 1 yr thank god no problems so far.
Are there any threads that have instructions on how to install and/or adjust the links?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drop by lowering links or Star Mod?