S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Change your cabin dust filters!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huh.. i just went under to flip them.

although the charcoal filter arrow airflow direction shows the opposite direction. the filters only fit one way.

fyi i bought the same ones that oxygen had.. got em from autohausaz.. they came in a meyle box, but look identical to the mbz ones posted above.

seems like whoever manufactured the airflow direction arrows messed up. i guess i got it right the first time.

there are some pulling tabs built into the charcoal filter housings too.. to pull them down.. the only way the fit correctly is with those tabs facing down. (hence the reason why they put pulling tabs there in the first place)

again... my guess is that whoever was on the assembly line at meyle put the arrows in the opposite direction.

if you get em from autohausaz.. they're the same ones.. just make sure when you install them, they only fit in one way and they should go in smoothly.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 PM

2003 S600
Changed all four of mine 2 months ago.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chibial
huh.. i just went under to flip them.

although the charcoal filter arrow airflow direction shows the opposite direction. the filters only fit one way.

fyi i bought the same ones that oxygen had.. got em from autohausaz.. they came in a meyle box, but look identical to the mbz ones posted above.

seems like whoever manufactured the airflow direction arrows messed up. i guess i got it right the first time.

there are some pulling tabs built into the charcoal filter housings too.. to pull them down.. the only way the fit correctly is with those tabs facing down. (hence the reason why they put pulling tabs there in the first place)

again... my guess is that whoever was on the assembly line at meyle put the arrows in the opposite direction.

if you get em from autohausaz.. they're the same ones.. just make sure when you install them, they only fit in one way and they should go in smoothly.
Will you come over and change mine out for me? You seem to have a lot of practice at it

Also, have you gotten the shifter issue straightened out?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM

lol. i think you can manage.

shifter issue... has not happened yet. (knock on wood)

just being real careful, gentle, and slow when changing gears. hoping the part doesnt break.

when it does, i'll have to figure out how to remove the center console. it'd be awesome if someone does a diy with photos on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 AM

lol. i think you can manage.

shifter issue... has not happened yet. (knock on wood)

just being real careful, gentle, and slow when changing gears. hoping the part doesnt break.

when it does, i'll have to figure out how to remove the center console. it'd be awesome if someone does a diy with photos on it.
See this link - Scroll Oxygen's post #3

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...on-locked.html
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rccmerc
See this link - Scroll Oxygen's post #3

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...on-locked.html
rccmerc...

correct me if im wrong, but in this image...

http://www.xipi.net/console1.jpg

the unit labeled #3 is the plastic piece that breaks that everyone talks about??

if so.. it seems like you wouldnt have to remove the entire shifter unit. you would just remove the top cover, pop off the plastic and snap it back on.

is it really as easy as that?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM

rccmerc...

correct me if im wrong, but in this image...

http://www.xipi.net/console1.jpg

the unit labeled #3 is the plastic piece that breaks that everyone talks about??

if so.. it seems like you wouldnt have to remove the entire shifter unit. you would just remove the top cover, pop off the plastic and snap it back on.

is it really as easy as that?
Unfortunately, No. The Shifter has to be removed from the vehicle as the plastic piece of crap is inside the shifter housing.

As for removing the shifter you have to disconnect the transmission linkage under the car. Therefore, you do have to get under the car to remove the pin that secures the linkage to the shifter. MY06CLK has posted you can jack up one side of the car and get access to it. Some other guy, forgive me, I can't recall whom, he indicated it is possible to reach the linkage from the top to remove the pin, but you will be trying to fit your hands through a very tight opening!!!

I know ZAM2000, indicated a fix for the plastic clip is to JB Weld the POS back together using little aluminum strips for reinforcement. This way you do not have remove the broken piece that is secured to the shifter with a pin that is a pain in the *** to remove. The clip evidently tends to break in same g**damn spot everytime.

See this video, it is basic but gives a good visual overview. I have no idea where that guy got a metal clip. I think MY06CLK was having one reversed engineered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuMczG9pdh8

I just noticed that the you tube guy is based out of Hong Kong and it appears he makes the fricking metal clip. However, it is a strange website, as there does not appear any way to buy anything You can see web address to the right of the video towards the top.

The internet never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by rccmerc; 12-01-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 AM

wow, that looks overly complicated to remove a little plastic piece.

i guess essentially if you remove the plastic piece altogether. the shifter will move freely, you just gotta make sure your in park when you stop the car right?

seems like the easier method to fix, by just taking the part out altogether.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM

wow, that looks overly complicated to remove a little plastic piece.

i guess essentially if you remove the plastic piece altogether. the shifter will move freely, you just gotta make sure your in park when you stop the car right?

seems like the easier method to fix, by just taking the part out altogether.
Chibial, Stop worrying about this sh*t now, drive the car, enjoy it. Set aside some cash for down the road for repairs. Bottom line, drive and enjoy
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM

yea.. just trying to figure out a gameplan if it does happen. thanks for all the help!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM

s500
this forum is great. tried dwd2 and it knocked out about 40% of the smell. Oh and by the way...this musty smell issue with the evaporator is not only a MB thing, it goes across all cars...all makes and all models. Other forums suggest Frigi Clean and Frigi Fresh. looked around on a ton of posts and couldn't find Frigi-Clean or Frigi-Fresh. Finally found it at http://www.ac-evaporator-cleaner.com

I wish everyone cleaner smelling cabins.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 PM

2005 S430
haha i just did my B service this morning!!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Oxygen

It is very simple to change the filters and is definitely a DIY task.

Remove the 4 philips screws (top and bottom) in the glove box and pull the glove box assembly out. Unclip the connector for the light and undo the cable for the release. Pull out the whole unit. You'll see a white latch on a black plastic door. Release the latch and open the door. Pull out the filters and replace in the same manor.
I just did mine yesterday. Advanced auto had them in stock for $27.95

Anyway, you are wrong Chris, ha, ha. There are 6 phillps screws that need to come out

Also there are two black clips that needed to be removed. All, in all a good five minute job. THANKS!!!

See yeah

PS: Mine is an 04 so maybe they changed something
Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Here you go guys, these are the charcoal activated filters, one box, part number: A210 830 11 18 gets you these two filters:

Does an S600 take different filters than an S430? My charcoal filters have part numbers: 220-830-0218 and
220-830-0118.

The cabin filter numbers are slightly different too than listed in post # 1. Mine are 220-830-0018. Just wondering why the filters have different part numbers than are listed above & in post # 1?

Last edited by oneslackr; 09-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
Originally Posted by jenifer.kaif
I would you not to follow with the pics,you will get confused. Its better go to nearer body shop and get your queries clarified.

OK. I'll get right on that. I wouldn't want to confuse myself & tackle something as daunting as changing 4 filters by myself.

Jenifer do you have any ideas on what I should do with the 4 filters that I already removed from the car? How did you know that my I.Q. level was so low that I was going to need a body shop to help me change the filters?