S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

removing front and rear bumpers 01 S430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 Sold :(
removing front and rear bumpers 01 S430

I am helping my cousin remove his front and rear bumper on his 01 s430 (my old car ) he is gonna get them repainted due to scratches.

Does anyone know how many screws and where are they located on both front and rear bumpers?

Are they a pain to remove?

Any info you guys have would be great. Thanks for your time hope someone can help?

Last edited by jfendis430; 12-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I don't have the particular posts bookmarked, but some of the strings regarding replacement of front headlights provide instructions for removal of the front bumper (even though removal is not necessary to replace the headlights). I haven't seen anything on the back bumper.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
I don't have the particular posts bookmarked, but some of the strings regarding replacement of front headlights provide instructions for removal of the front bumper (even though removal is not necessary to replace the headlights). I haven't seen anything on the back bumper.

Thanks skylaw...I will do a search
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB S320 CDI
I've removed both bumpers on my W220:
You can remove both on your own but the rear refitting is tricky and takes 2 people to snap it back in.

Front bumper is a bit fiddly, you will need to remove several bolts from the front of the car after disconnecting PTS and outside temerature sensors.
Then the front inner wheel arch needs some plastic nuts removing to gain access to the swivel arm mechanism thing that sits in the inner wing.
You remove a bolt and then this clasp type thing is pushed out releasing the bumper - same both sides. It come apart easier than it closes back up incidentally. I reckon I could get one off in less than half an hour now ,but my first attempt took a couple of hours - still it's the easiest way to change an intercooler.

The rear has you working inside the wheel arch again for some small screw type bolts, you also have to remove the boot lining to get to the larger bolts out. Again - not hard once you know how.

I got the info out of WIS and would gladly post it for you if somebody would tell me how to extract the info in a way I can send on ??

It seems you can't cut and paste.

B320
Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Benzene320
I've removed both bumpers on my W220:
You can remove both on your own but the rear refitting is tricky and takes 2 people to snap it back in.

Front bumper is a bit fiddly, you will need to remove several bolts from the front of the car after disconnecting PTS and outside temerature sensors.
Then the front inner wheel arch needs some plastic nuts removing to gain access to the swivel arm mechanism thing that sits in the inner wing.
You remove a bolt and then this clasp type thing is pushed out releasing the bumper - same both sides. It come apart easier than it closes back up incidentally. I reckon I could get one off in less than half an hour now ,but my first attempt took a couple of hours - still it's the easiest way to change an intercooler.

The rear has you working inside the wheel arch again for some small screw type bolts, you also have to remove the boot lining to get to the larger bolts out. Again - not hard once you know how.

I got the info out of WIS and would gladly post it for you if somebody would tell me how to extract the info in a way I can send on ??

B320
Use the additional options feature - Attach files - Manage attachments button.

A lot of times WIS stuff is attached in pdf format.

By the way. you're description of the removal procedure is hilarious. There are a lot "things" to remove and I have never read a post that includes both
"I reckon" and "boot lining"
Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 PM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by jfendis430
I am helping my cousin remove his front and rear bumper on his 01 s430 (my old car ) he is gonna get them repainted due to scratches.

Does anyone know how many screws and where are they located on both front and rear bumpers?

Are they a pain to remove?

Any info you guys have would be great. Thanks for your time hope someone can help?
Wouldn't it be easier to just paint it while its on the car if its only touch up? I'm getting my front bumper done next week because of knicks and crap and my body guy is doing it while the bumper is on. He said it's actually easier for him being that its only touch up. Just wondering.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM

MB S320 CDI
Originally Posted by rccmerc
Use the additional options feature - Attach files - Manage attachments button.

A lot of times WIS stuff is attached in pdf format.

By the way. you're description of the removal procedure is hilarious. There are a lot "things" to remove and I have never read a post that includes both
"I reckon" and "boot lining"
LOL - Well it's been a looong day and if I'm honest I really couldn't be bothered to look up the precise component names and list the correct procedure - it was only meant to be a quick nudge in the right direction.

Far too busy to be writing beautiful prose for the American palate.

thx for the tip on the WIS i'll see if I can put it up for the OP - seeing as nobody else has !

B320
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM

MB S320 CDI
"Use the additional options feature - Attach files - Manage attachments button.

A lot of times WIS stuff is attached in pdf format."

I'm looking at the document now... and I can't see where you are pointing me?

If I click on Add. Functions I have 3 options that are open to me:

Profi Select

Bookmark

Continue

Or am I in absolutely the wrong place?
B320
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM

LOL - Well it's been a looong day and if I'm honest I really couldn't be bothered to look up the precise component names and list the correct procedure - it was only meant to be a quick nudge in the right direction.

Far too busy to be writing beautiful prose for the American palate.

thx for the tip on the WIS i'll see if I can put it up for the OP - seeing as nobody else has !

B320
Hey, hey, hey, no disrespect to you!!!, I had an idea you might be across the pond. Peace and Happy Holidays!! And oh yeah, soccer is not a real sport, American Football now that is a sport

Last edited by rccmerc; 12-09-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216

B320

I have sent out more than 2000 WIS papers. but I have 2 computers

I use a USB memory stick and downloaded a PDF writing/printing program. You can then set the printer (F2 on WIS) to print in PDF and I can Email directly from the memory stick.

You could do the same with only 1 computer and just download to the memory stick and send it from there,. but you will still need to download a free PDF program

You can PM me if you get stuck
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Television
I have sent out more than 2000 WIS papers. but I have 2 computers

I use a USB memory stick and downloaded a PDF writing/printing program. You can then set the printer (F2 on WIS) to print in PDF and I can Email directly from the memory stick.

You could do the same with only 1 computer and just download to the memory stick and send it from there,. but you will still need to download a free PDF program

You can PM me if you get stuck
Yes, you have to print the WIS 'selected pages' using the pdf driver. Than upload to MBWorld using manage attachments.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM

MB S320 CDI
Smile

Originally Posted by rccmerc
Hey, hey, hey, no disrespect to you!!!, I had an idea you might be across the pond. Peace and Happy Holidays!! And oh yeah, soccer is not a real game, American Football now that is a game
It's all good - no offence taken.

You are correct American Football is a game.

Soccer is a sport. Not that I approve of it.

RUGBY - now that's a proper past time - none of yer shoulder pads and crash helmets, pretty stripey make up and skin hugging tights (pantyhose to you guys I believe)

Nope - real blood and snot in all weathers and no prisoners.

I rest my case.

Peace to you also.

B320
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM

MB S320 CDI
Gent's,

Thankyou for the guidance on this as it's been a constant source of irritation to me.

I'll download what I need and see if I can get this "thing" going.

B320
Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Gent's,

Thank you for the guidance on this as it's been a constant source of irritation to me.

I'll download what I need and see if I can get this "thing" going.

B320
or you can email it to me at joe.jr@latinfreshspecialties.com

thank you!! for your help